or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3265

post #48961 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post
 

Sunday is the final day of the 4-week adaption cycle for the 4-day intermediate Sheiko program I am running.  My knees are starting to ache throughout the day.  Not sure if I am just being a bitch.  Will continue on with the program but be cautious if my body is telling me it is too much.

 

edit: tomorrow would normally be the last day of the week program-wise but my gym is holding a PL competition.  Hopefully I can stay long enough to see Tee Cummins hit a 1900+ total.  Heard he was growing to 242 but he cut down to 220 for his competiton a few weeks back.

 

This is how my knee tendonitis (or whatever is the name for overuse injuries) started. After trying to train through it for 3 weeks, I eventually had to stop squatting and deadlifting completely for 8 weeks. 

 

My last pain free squatting session before the problem started was in the first week of August. My knees still protest when I squat with 30-40% of my 1RM.

So be careful.

 

Boris Sheiko himself has some advice on how to deal with these knee problems:

Quote:
 It is likely you overloaded the leg muscles. I recommend you visit a sauna. Heat your muscles well and massage them. Also you need to decrease the load for legs for 2 weeks. If this doesn’t help you should visit a doctor. 
post #48962 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketawa View Post
 

 

Figure I'll cut calories to about 2500? Nothing fancy here, I eat 3 meals a day, maybe 2 on weekends if I sleep in. Here is what I typically eat at home, I guess I would just eat smaller portions.

 

Breakfast

Scrambled eggs w/ cheese

Bacon or sausage

 

Lunch

Grilled chicken

Salad

 

Dinner

Grilled chicken/steak/fish/pork

Salad

Vegetable (broccoli, asparagus, green beans, squash)

 

Snacks

Nuts

Beef jerky

Cheese

Lots of coffee

 

My workouts are this or some close variation:

 

Chest/Triceps (push)

Dumbbell press

Face pulls

Dumbbell incline press

Flys

Dips

Dumbbell overhead press

 

Back/Biceps (pull)

Pendlay rows

Pullups

Dumbbell rows

Curls

Lat pulldown

Dumbbell shrugs

 

Legs

Deadlifts

Leg curls

Calf raises

Leg press

More leg curls

 

Exactly what foods you eat does not matter at all, so posting your meal plan is unnecessary.

It is the calories and macronutrients that matter. Micronutrients also matter somewhat for general health and well being (easily solved by eating "quality food" and have a lot of variety).

 

Right now you hit your muscles once a week. That is not enough if you want to stimulate growth as much as possible. You do not have to train a lot more. Just change around the exercises so you hit all muscles 2-3 times per week. You could for instance squat and bench press in the same workout, and do shoulder press and deadlift in another.

 

Cardio can also be beneficial for fat loss. HIIT seems to be more time-efficient and more muscle sparing than less-intensive and longer cardio forms. HIIT does however require more recovery.

 

Some recent research showed that cardio in the morning elevates fat burning for the rest of the whole day. Cardio later in the day does not have that effect, according to that study.

post #48963 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

This is how my knee tendonitis (or whatever is the name for overuse injuries) started. After trying to train through it for 3 weeks, I eventually had to stop squatting and deadlifting completely for 8 weeks. 

My last pain free squatting session before the problem started was in the first week of August. My knees still protest when I squat with 30-40% of my 1RM.
So be careful.

Boris Sheiko himself has some advice on how to deal with these knee problems:

Just did 4 straight days which probably exacerbates issue. I won't squat again until Tuesday so that should provide some relief. DLs have not affected the knee. I even notice my knees crack more frequently on the squat descent compared to previous. That at have just been a bad day, as it was colder that day.

A fine line between bitching out and listening to your body. Will proceed cautiously.
post #48964 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post
 

 

Exactly what foods you eat does not matter at all, so posting your meal plan is unnecessary.

It is the calories and macronutrients that matter. Micronutrients also matter somewhat for general health and well being (easily solved by eating "quality food" and have a lot of variety).

 

Right now you hit your muscles once a week. That is not enough if you want to stimulate growth as much as possible. You do not have to train a lot more. Just change around the exercises so you hit all muscles 2-3 times per week. You could for instance squat and bench press in the same workout, and do shoulder press and deadlift in another.

 

Cardio can also be beneficial for fat loss. HIIT seems to be more time-efficient and more muscle sparing than less-intensive and longer cardio forms. HIIT does however require more recovery.

 

Some recent research showed that cardio in the morning elevates fat burning for the rest of the whole day. Cardio later in the day does not have that effect, according to that study.

 

Per my earlier post, I'm around 3200 cal. 60 g carbs, 220 g fat, 250 g protein, 6000 mg sodium, 30 g sugar. I generally eat low carb at home.

 

I actually run through this about 1.5x per week, but point taken. Maybe I'll switch things up a little.

 

I'll try cutting some calories out of my diet and work in some more cardio in the morning. That's when I try to hit the gym anyway.

post #48965 of 57259
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

I have had to settle for half walnut half pistachio because pistachios are expensive as fuck and I can't find ones without there shell and fuck trying to unshell a lb of pistachios. The struggle is real.

I think shelling pistachios would just lead to eating a lot of pistachios.
post #48966 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

I have had to settle for half walnut half pistachio because pistachios are expensive as fuck and I can't find ones without there shell and fuck trying to unshell a lb of pistachios. The struggle is real.

I think shelling pistachios would just lead to eating a lot of pistachios.

The shelled ones are like crack. I can go through a pound bag in one sitting, and they're like $10-15.
post #48967 of 57259
Any of you powerlifters incorporate slingshot work into your bench programming? Seen a couple guys use them in my gym and I'm just curious.
post #48968 of 57259
I know Charly started using a red one. We have all of them at our gym but only started using the blue one before my last meet for some overload work after my main sets. After a couple sets, feels surprisingly natural.
post #48969 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post

Any of you powerlifters incorporate slingshot work into your bench programming? Seen a couple guys use them in my gym and I'm just curious.

 

I don't use it, and none in my gym use it, but I know some other great lifters in the country who regularly uses it as a tool.

 

If I would put it into my program, I think it would make more sense to use it later in the cycle, somewhere during peaking too really get the overload effect and get accustomed to heavier weight before the meet. That's how board presses was incorporated in my program, which is also an overloading tool.

 

I think it can be detrimental to the whole cycle to start using overload work in the beginning of a PL cycle. Those first weeks are usually characterized by light weights and a lot of volume to recover from the last heavy cycle and gain hypertrophy. I believe it is generally not the best time for overloading.

post #48970 of 57259
Was bored so I brought my belt to the gym and tried to go heavy in squats. Haven't used a belt or done anything less than 8 reps in a long time. Worked up to 300 and it still felt like a warmup, a little bit of a decrease in speed out of the hole. But holy shit night and day difference from my last time I did 300 x 3, it was really fast and was not a good morning squat. I'm also 20lbs lighter. I think I'll continue working in the 8 rep range for a while and not using my belt, I feel like it's a good balance between strength and hypertrophy. I probably should program in heavy days but I want to keep my programming simple.
post #48971 of 57259



Baklava

Used a little too much syrup so they were very sticky, but tasted good. Will do rolls next time and then the ones which look like birds nests.
post #48972 of 57259
fuji setup a youtube channel where all you do is bake and talk about daughters of Russian tzars, celltech, and Eason's Thai ladyboys. Shit will blow up then monetize it

Baklava looks good too
post #48973 of 57259
Was thinking I should make a YouTube channel like the joy of baking but just do it topless and make shit like gluten free brownies because I think I'm about the ideal aesthetic for slaying 18-23 year olds who like buzz feed articles as long as I stay like 8-12%
post #48974 of 57259

"Cooking with CellTech"

post #48975 of 57259
Would never mention dat der on it because then i'd never attract vegan female viewers and would probably get little advertisements. I'd probably just name it something entirely baking based and not mention lifting at all. Otherwise i'd call it trenbolone and treats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts