or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3247

post #48691 of 57260
I took a week off from the gym to have a good time icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Gonna lift again Friday.
post #48692 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Anyone had a job where they traveled a lot and what it did to #gains? As long as I can get in the gym 2 or 3 days a week to do a full body split and eat healthy the rest of the week I think all will be OK.

I'm home less than 10 days a month and haven't consistently worked out, besides random push-ups and body weight squats in a hotel room, in 19 months. Once my schedule gets a bit more consistent and I get settled into a new house, I'll actually be able to have a gym membership again and start lifting.
post #48693 of 57260
X-post from RFT but I've gained about 15 lbs over the past 3.5 years and somewhat outgrown my 2010 lamb TOJ moto. i'm planning on a cut before next summer so fingers crossed)--I can only wear it with a t-shirt and even then it's a bit borderline.

It's definitely a motivation to slim down though. As I get older and accumulate lifting injuries, I feel like I'll have to choose between slightly higher bf + size or lower bf + less LBM and. Given that I love my leather, it's a motivation to go with the latter, even though I kind of like the idea of the former.
post #48694 of 57260
I'm not here to argue, would honestly like to be able to participate in this thread.

I'm the "twink" with the keyboard smile.gif 36yrs old, 5'10", ~210lbs in this pic (about a month ago), can't see my juicy thighs unfortunately.



The way i mentioned is how i've achieved my biggest gains throughout my life (20+ yrs on and off lifting, college athlete). But I will admit i haven't lifted for pure strength in a while, just more bodybuilding now so I could be out of touch. If the OP feels they need to change it up, then you'll only see what works for you by trying things out. But i'd recommend a week of a different approach, if you feel you need it.

I travel a lot for work. For the last 8 months i've been traveling 4 days a week, luckily to the same location. I belong to NYSC, i travel to MA. and there is a BSC not too far that my membership allows me to go to. When i travelled other areas, I would just find a gym and get a week/month membership and suck up the costs. I usually try to get 2-3 days in while i'm here or how ever my schedule falls, but you have to be pretty rigid and love being in the gym. If i miss too many days in a row i feel like shit.

One of the big things that helps me traveling is that i cook each week and bring my meals with me. This is a little easier since i drive to this last job and can just pack a cooler. But your meals are obviously a large part of traveling. Really easy to get off track with a few nights of eating out and drinking with clients.

That's my story.
post #48695 of 57260

You might want to check the background of the guy you're responding to. 

post #48696 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

You might want to check the background of the guy you're responding to. 
post #48697 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post

That's my story.

Aw... that's cute smile.gif
post #48698 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr View Post

If the OP feels they need to change it up, then you'll only see what works for you by trying things out. But i'd recommend a week of a different approach, if you feel you need it.

My main point. OP wanted advice advice to build strength and you gave shitty "advice"..

"If you're looking to build strength, why so many sets (and at low weight)? Get warm in the gym and get to 70% weight of what you're trying to accomplish, otherwise you're wasting a lot of energy you'd rather use on the heavier sets.

I'm more of a feel person in the gym, don't really have a number of sets or reps planned."

I don't really have any beef with you but don't give out bad "advice" if you aren't qualified in any way to do so.
post #48699 of 57260
Had an appt with my orthopedic doc this morning. Took x rays, clavicle is healing beautifully he says. No shortening, from what he can tell, nothing lasting or debilitating. That clavicle is a little bit deformed from the break, but he said within the next year or so it should straighten back out to pretty much normal, as it stands you cant even tell unless im shirtless and you look really closely.

For the next few months he told me I should be a little careful, as new bone is still coming together and growing, so i'm slightly more susceptible for breakage again.

Cleared for heavy lifting and all physical activity though.... it's kind of daunting seemingly starting all over from scratch. Going to get back on gym routine monday no thanks to the dickless piece of shit who hit me.

Any guys who have been sidelined by a serious injury for 4+ months have any advice on getting back in there? Won't lie and say i'm not a little bit intimidated and scared.
post #48700 of 57260
Finally got health insurance for the first time in four years. Went to the dentist today to find out I need 5 fillings frown.gif wtf I brush 3x a day and floss 3x a day. Not aesthetic teeth. This will be great if now that I have health insurance I find out how exactly fucked I am.
post #48701 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Had an appt with my orthopedic doc this morning. Took x rays, clavicle is healing beautifully he says. No shortening, from what he can tell, nothing lasting or debilitating. That clavicle is a little bit deformed from the break, but he said within the next year or so it should straighten back out to pretty much normal, as it stands you cant even tell unless im shirtless and you look really closely.

For the next few months he told me I should be a little careful, as new bone is still coming together and growing, so i'm slightly more susceptible for breakage again.

Cleared for heavy lifting and all physical activity though.... it's kind of daunting seemingly starting all over from scratch. Going to get back on gym routine monday no thanks to the dickless piece of shit who hit me.

Any guys who have been sidelined by a serious injury for 4+ months have any advice on getting back in there? Won't lie and say i'm not a little bit intimidated and scared.


Leave your ego at home and start out light. Forget everything you used to and focus on the path forward. 


Good luck man!

post #48702 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Had an appt with my orthopedic doc this morning. Took x rays, clavicle is healing beautifully he says. No shortening, from what he can tell, nothing lasting or debilitating. That clavicle is a little bit deformed from the break, but he said within the next year or so it should straighten back out to pretty much normal, as it stands you cant even tell unless im shirtless and you look really closely.

For the next few months he told me I should be a little careful, as new bone is still coming together and growing, so i'm slightly more susceptible for breakage again.

Cleared for heavy lifting and all physical activity though.... it's kind of daunting seemingly starting all over from scratch. Going to get back on gym routine monday no thanks to the dickless piece of shit who hit me.

Any guys who have been sidelined by a serious injury for 4+ months have any advice on getting back in there? Won't lie and say i'm not a little bit intimidated and scared.

Resist the urge to reflect on "only 6 months ago I was lifting xxx" -- can be extremely demotivating.

post #48703 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post
 

Resist the urge to reflect on "only 6 months ago I was lifting xxx" -- can be extremely demotivating.

 

Exactly. I've been there. I'm coming back now after 2 back surgeries.

 

It sucks. But it gets better if you stick with it. 

post #48704 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Finally got health insurance for the first time in four years. Went to the dentist today to find out I need 5 fillings frown.gif wtf I brush 3x a day and floss 3x a day. Not aesthetic teeth. This will be great if now that I have health insurance I find out how exactly fucked I am.

I lost a filling this summer and didn't get dental insurance this year. Trying to wait it out until January.
post #48705 of 57260

is it just me or is almost everyone in this thread nursing an injury of some sort? i guess i've been extraordinarily lucky

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts