or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3205

post #48061 of 57259
That's fair, concealed.

I'll tell you guys a story that illustrates my frustration. I work as a research biochemist. We have guest speakers from other departments and universities fairly regularly. A recent speaker was a scientist from a Government run agriculture and food development facility.

His job was to make genetically modified fruit to be different colors. Only that when he succeeded, rather than have the products be tested for the market, he informs the breeders on the crosses they need to make and the generations and generations of breeding they need to do to make exactly the same thing.

Why? Because in the eyes of the consumer the first product is a GMO, while the second isn't.

Ludicrous.
post #48062 of 57259

Switching gears a bit - At what point did you guys start to get intimidated in the squat? Or is it just me being a bitch? I don't have a problem when I lift at home, but using the same weights at the gym I get anxious (still hit the numbers OK, it just "looks" heavier, probably because my home gym is bumpers and they make me giggle).

Weird thing is I've lifted more than this before, it was just a long time ago, but I don't remember ever hitting a point where the weight intimidated me.

 

edit - I am not talking about a ton of weight, I know there are a lot of guys in here stronger than me.

post #48063 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

At what point did you guys start to get intimidated in the squat? Or is it just me being a bitch?

Never. Yes.

If you doubt yourself on a heavy lift, you've already failed.
post #48064 of 57259

This is pretty much what I thought, and I don't really understand it. Like I said, I've hit higher numbers than this previously (my squat 5 rep PR is 90lbs higher than what I'm currently lifting for 6). And it only happens outside of my home gym, I'm starting to wonder if it's some sort of social anxiety instead. I mean, I am a fucking hermit.

post #48065 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post
 

 

Long time ago we had so much broscience here in a single post.

 

Honestly, I don't think it matters whether you eat organic or not as long as you're not in a massive calorie surplus or calorie deficit (both of those are not good for your health) and if you already eat "good" whole foods. Sure, some organic foods might have a tiny bit more nutrients than their non-organic counterparts, but if you're eating a well-balanced array of whole foods you should still hit your daily micronutrients without a problem. More nutrients will not necessarily be better at that point. What I think matters more is if you have a sedentary lifestyle, even if you lift. There's research out there indicating that you can't compensate the negative affects of a sedentary lifestyle by exercising more.

 

For instance: the slightly overweight female waiter than has never lifted in her entire life might very well be healthier than the teenage guy who's on a 6-split program taking amphetamine-like PWO:s before every session and sitting by his computer all day.

My opinion is, looking exceptionally fit or having a great physique is not a  "one size fits all" kind of endeavor. People are unique and vary in opinions and in ways of doing things. What matters to me is that I believe in my way of doing things and that the results speak--louder than any words or research or "broscience."

 

You mention the importance of "calorie surplus" and "calorie deficit." Personally speaking, I never count calories. Even though I know people who  count their calories and succeed from doing it, I have no idea how many specific calories I need to lose or gain weight.

 

I do have a pretty good idea, though, of what keeps me looking lean and muscular: 5-6 meals per day; 5-6 low-fat protein servings per day (fist sized); 3-4 carb servings per day; 3 fat servings per day; no alcohol; no soda; no processed foods; organic whenever possible; unlimited green veggies; gallon of water per day; green unsweetened tea only; plant-based protein shakes only.

 

Doing things in my own way might not validate the "proven research,"  but it has yielded the best results for ME. In 8 weeks, I dropped my weight from 220 to 200 and my BF from 20% to about 10%.

 

But I'm not saying my way is the only way. I'm sure your way works, too, assuming you follow an exercise and diet program and you're dialed into them.  

 

Here's a "before" photo of me, taken about 12 months ago. I weighed 220 lbs. with an estimated BF of 20%. My opinion of myself is, I look muscular and beefy in the t-shirt, but I can see a bit of a gut, and my face looks round and full, too:

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/es...9.jpg.html?o=8

Here's what I look like now, at about 200 lbs. and around 10% BF; I see my face looking more defined, as do my back and abs, yet I've retained plenty enough muscle mass for my liking:

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/es....jpg.html?o=12

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/es....jpg.html?o=12

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/es...tml?sort=3&o=4

I never believed in organic foods, but I do now. Grass-fed beef; pole-caught tuna, organic brown rice, organic veggies, etc. I buy foods that have the organic label on them. But I also know that a lot of people don't believe in organic and/or don't want to spend the extra $$$$.

 

My opinion is, if you eat the "right" foods with minimal ingredients, and eat them consistently, you'll get results.


Edited by Espi1971 - 10/6/14 at 3:31pm
post #48066 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post


The reason people chose organic isn't because it has more nutrients, I think that would be total bullshit, it's for the supposed absence (or at least less prevalent presence) of pesticides and chemical ripeners and things like that.
I'm not necessarily saying I agree with that either, but I don't think anybody srsly thinks an organic blueberry has more vit C than a non-organic one.

 

I agree. I never consider nutrients. Non-organic broccoli has plenty of nutrients. Eating "nutrient rich" foods is not complicated. We pretty much already know what the healthy foods are.

 

It just comes down to a personal choice. Much like a guy who insists on wearing Allen Edmonds versus Nunn Bush. Or someone who prefers driving a Mercedes versus a Hyundai. They all serve the same purpose, but each person will do his OWN thing, no matter what other people think.

post #48067 of 57259

Finally hit a five plate deadlift:

 

 

1200 at 180 at my next meet is a distinct possibility. 200kg squat and 117.5kg bench made the same week.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post


If you doubt yourself on a heavy lift, you've already failed.

 

preach on!

post #48068 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

This is pretty much what I thought, and I don't really understand it. Like I said, I've hit higher numbers than this previously (my squat 5 rep PR is 90lbs higher than what I'm currently lifting for 6). And it only happens outside of my home gym, I'm starting to wonder if it's some sort of social anxiety instead. I mean, I am a fucking hermit.

Set up the safety bars and go to failure a couple of times and you'll stop being scared.
post #48069 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi1971 View Post
 

My opinion is, looking exceptionally fit or having a great physique is not a  "one size fits all" kind of endeavor. People are unique and vary in opinions and in ways of doing things. What matters to me is that I believe in my way of doing things and that the results speak--louder than any words or research or "broscience."

 

You mention the importance of "calorie surplus" and "calorie deficit." Personally speaking, I never count calories. Even though I know people who  count their calories and succeed from doing it, I have no idea how many specific calories I need to lose or gain weight.

 

I do have a pretty good idea, though, of what keeps me looking lean and muscular: 5-6 meals per day; 5-6 low-fat protein servings per day (fist sized); 3-4 carb servings per day; 3 fat servings per day; no alcohol; no soda; no processed foods; organic whenever possible; unlimited green veggies; gallon of water per day; green unsweetened tea only; plant-based protein shakes only.

 

Doing things in my own way might not validate the "proven research,"  but it has yielded the best results for ME. In 8 weeks, I dropped my weight from 220 to 200 and my BF from 20% to about 10%.

 

But I'm not saying my way is the only way. I'm sure your way works, too, assuming you follow an exercise and diet program and you're dialed into them.

 

 

You have gone 100% certified organic potato.

 

Congratulations on the transformation.  You may not strictly count calories but you certainly have a general idea on what intakes allow you to grow, maintain, lose weight.  I do the same, as I am just an everyday joe who is not a competitive PLer/BBer.

post #48070 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultaVexillum View Post

This is pretty much what I thought, and I don't really understand it. Like I said, I've hit higher numbers than this previously (my squat 5 rep PR is 90lbs higher than what I'm currently lifting for 6). And it only happens outside of my home gym, I'm starting to wonder if it's some sort of social anxiety instead. I mean, I am a fucking hermit.
I hit higher numbers and more reps when others are in the gym versus when I'm alone.
post #48071 of 57259
Yeah, I'm the opposite. And I am now 100% certain its due to some kind of social factor, not the weight itself. It's weird.
post #48072 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan K View Post
 

 

preach on!

Awesome! Congrats, bro! Not to say I have a big bench (currently 275) but compared to my squat and deadlift numbers, I feel I should be able to pull and squat more...I guess I've spent too much time on benching and not enough on pulls and squats...:fu:

post #48073 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by concealed View Post

still, go to your bank get a loan, buy a used car for ~$6k, pay monthly payments of $150.  sell when/if the time comes.
Yea thats about what my wife's loan is, I think the cost of interest to us is less than <$500 on a 4 year loan (we pay extra)

Something else to look into is Zipcar... totally forgot about that shit. If you aren't driving to work like for real for real you don't need a car if you have Zipcar.
post #48074 of 57259
Took a russian girls anal virginity last night, looked painful as fuck. Thank you trenbolone for letting me fuck hot girls without having really any game at all by just walking around the smoking area in a tank top until some girl grabs my biceps.


Good I didnt join rugby this year because it seems the team may be getting disbanded after handing out some slightly homophobic and sexist leaflets

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/the-lse-rugby-teams-fresher-fair-leaflet-describes-women-as#a5mvw

don't know why anyones surprised, every university rugby team in the UK is like this.




edit: Obligatory photos of dat ass for CTK and barrel

photo_zpsa90d8385.jpg

not my room, I don't live in squaller.

edit 2: and LSE rugby has now been barred fuk.
Edited by fuji - 10/7/14 at 11:27am
post #48075 of 57259

^ understood like none of those words can't you UKers speak English? :rotflmao:

 

Went to deadlift today and could barely do my second warmup so I just quit. Anyone ever have that happen? Something I should worry about?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts