Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
+1 on shoulder work and general shoulder/arm flexibility suggestions/routines
I want to switch to a front squat to save my back and build my quads but I cant clean grip for shit. I can't bend my elbow past like 110 degrees
I've said it before but my left shoulder is messed up in the overhead ranges from an proximal humerus fracture (broken arm just below the shoulder joint). Strength and stability was all gone.
I also have a problem with my non-injured right shoulder. It is more forward rorated than the left and I can't externally rotate it as much,
My exact rehab routine for the injury that I got from the physio is not relevant to you, but maybe what I do/used to do to maintain the mobility is:
- foam roll/lacrosse ball the lats, tricep, front, medial an rear delts
- Overhead wall slides
- scapula pushups
- arm swings
- shoulder dislocations, lots of them, narrower grip over time
- face pulls the correct way, not like a high pull but as an external rotation pull meets double bicep pose
- band pull aparts for tons of volume
- face down on bench rear delt shoulder raise
- make sure to shrug at the top at all overhead work, like lat pulldowns, ohp, etc
- use light enough weights for only perfect reps when lifting overhead
- everything Kelly Starret @MobilityWOD and Justin Lascek @70's big had posted on the topic. Literally tons of good videos.
For clean grip in the front squat I like to massage the shit out of the triceps by rolling them over the barbell. Loosening up the lats will most likely also help.