or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3083

post #46231 of 48556
Any advice for keeping knees out when squatting? I am having huge problems with knee cave that I just can't seem to get rid of. Happens no matter the weight.
post #46232 of 48556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Any advice for keeping knees out when squatting? I am having huge problems with knee cave that I just can't seem to get rid of. Happens no matter the weight.

Does it hurt? Greg told me -

Your medial Condyle of your femur is just a little longer than the lateral one, so a *little* knee caving is natural for the most direct line of pull for the quads.
post #46233 of 48556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

Any advice for keeping knees out when squatting? I am having huge problems with knee cave that I just can't seem to get rid of. Happens no matter the weight.

 

Put a resistance band around your knees and focus on forcing it out to keep tension on the band.

post #46234 of 48556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Does it hurt? Greg told me -

Your medial Condyle of your femur is just a little longer than the lateral one, so a *little* knee caving is natural for the most direct line of pull for the quads.

Part of my problem is that I relax and go 2-4" too deep in my low bar squats, which causes a number of problems including knee cave and "butt wink".

But no matter how hard I concentrate on shoving my knees out and keeping them there (even with just the bar) I still have some knee cave. I keep getting told "shove your knees out harder and stay tighter" which works to an extent, but whenever I "shove my knees out hard" my feet roll laterally onto the outside edges, so naturally my feet want to roll back medially (causing knee cave) so my feet are flat on the ground again.

Just a really frustrating problem to solve. I'll keep working on it, but as long as I'm not in pain and the knee cave isn't excessive, I'll keep increasing weight.
post #46235 of 48556
So I have mentioned my wife doing these ab challenges before. Put this one in the "shit you should never say to a woman" category...

She's laying on the bed poking at her stomach and says something like, "I've been doing all these crunches and you still can't see anything"

I am a little bit buzzed and generally am just a dumbass, so I say "well you need to lose body fat to be able to see your abs, it doesn't matter how many crunches you do"

What the fuck is wrong with me? I assume you all see why this was a bad thing to say.

Luckily she weighs no more than 130 and is 5'9" and doesn't have any body image issues, but that was just a straight up moronic comment.
post #46236 of 48556
Yep. Never tell the truth to women. They don't want to hear it
post #46237 of 48556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post


Part of my problem is that I relax and go 2-4" too deep in my low bar squats, which causes a number of problems including knee cave and "butt wink".

But no matter how hard I concentrate on shoving my knees out and keeping them there (even with just the bar) I still have some knee cave. I keep getting told "shove your knees out harder and stay tighter" which works to an extent, but whenever I "shove my knees out hard" my feet roll laterally onto the outside edges, so naturally my feet want to roll back medially (causing knee cave) so my feet are flat on the ground again.

Just a really frustrating problem to solve. I'll keep working on it, but as long as I'm not in pain and the knee cave isn't excessive, I'll keep increasing weight.

 

Could be wrong here, but it sounds like your ankles are stiff, which would make you unable to roll the foot to the inside.

My ankles and achilles used to be very stiff but has improved by doing mobility work and stretches for it, along with squatting and deadlifting more frequently.

I'm no expert, but this is what has worked for me. 

 

Try this:

- sit down in a deep squat in your socks. 

- does your feet want to rotate so your toes point out?

- can you get your knees a lot further forward if you rotate the feet outwards but let the knees go straight forward (knees slightly in in relation to the feet)?

- if you now try to push your knees out so they line up with the angle of your feet, does it feel like your ankle mobility is blocked on the outside front of the foot wrist?

- if so, that's the ranges where you need to get more mobile. being able to push the knees forward but still outwards.

 

 

I think the degree of "knees out" that Kelly Starrett advocate is a bit excessive as it can lead to its own problems, but the mobilization stuff is still good.

post #46238 of 48556
Thread Starter 
lol was about to make fun of someone's photo on fb for being blurry: 10537396_10152376007213267_2765611444882830771_n.jpg

Then I remembered he has MS frown.gif
post #46239 of 48556
^ should've still went in.. "I thought you have MS - not Parkinson's"
post #46240 of 48556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Veen View Post

So I have mentioned my wife doing these ab challenges before. Put this one in the "shit you should never say to a woman" category...

She's laying on the bed poking at her stomach and says something like, "I've been doing all these crunches and you still can't see anything"

I am a little bit buzzed and generally am just a dumbass, so I say "well you need to lose body fat to be able to see your abs, it doesn't matter how many crunches you do"

What the fuck is wrong with me? I assume you all see why this was a bad thing to say.

Luckily she weighs no more than 130 and is 5'9" and doesn't have any body image issues, but that was just a straight up moronic comment.

Maybe say "I read on the internet that abs are made in the kitchen not the gym."
post #46241 of 48556
yeah i said "calorie surplus" to my girlfriend once when she asked why her butt was expanding from squatting 3x/week a few years ago. didn't go well.
post #46242 of 48556
The correct answer "because there's a god"
post #46243 of 48556
I feel like there could be an entire separate thread on Idiot Female Random Health and Exercise Thoughts. It's like they take broscience to the extreme... the more anecdotal and less empirical something is, the more women will believe in it.
post #46244 of 48556
Fuk yeah just raged hard in the gym and broke a tren aided squat pr. It was ugly as fuck but I went 190x4 on only 250mg of test cyp. Was so emotional coming off tren going back to actually natty must be horrible
post #46245 of 48556
Tempted to fuck cutting and just bulk to 230, no one cares about your abs when your cleaning EBITDAs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts