or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 3075

post #46111 of 57263
hooked up with my best friend's sister last night. not even feeling acceptably embarrassed about it. autism has its privileges.
post #46112 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Pretty intense training period right now. All I do is pretty much work, sleep, eat, train or something else related to training.

Volume based high frequency full body session 5x a week, usually 2-2.5 hours a session.
On my off days I run, swim or hit up the gym again for more accessory/prehab work and stretch/floss to work out all the doms and stiffness.
Bulking too so I'm spending a lot of time eating. 

Anyway, it seems to be paying off. Technique in the squat, bench and deads have improved and I'm recovering faster between sessions. 
Have gained 3 pounds without much or any fat gain during this 4 week period and put on 1" on the chest and 1.5" on the quads. 
Just spoke to my trainer and this volume cycle is going to be extended for another month and a half. Its tough, but its also giving good results.

Keep it up. Once you tape off that volume super compensation will turn you into a beast. I'm in the deep of it too.
post #46113 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Not very surprising tbh. Volume tolerance is what goes down first when you're fatigued, cutting, not sleeping enough, etc... For me at least, it seems more manageable to hit a 90% of 1RM single any given day, but doing 5 sets of 5 at 80% (or whatever % is the norm) depends a lot more on my recovery and daily form.

The obvious answer would be to sleep more and eat more, but you can't do that since the first is the actual problem and you're trying to lose weight IIRC. Maybe cut down the volume, lower the weight or do the same amount of total reps with the same weight for your rep work, but with more sets of less reps. 
So instead of doing 3x9x190 (which you failed), you could try 4x7x190. Maybe it'll work better.

I'm not cutting yet. Waiting till next year, and trying to stabilize my strength and get used to this new routine through the end of this year. I knew the job would ding me... have to wake up an hour earlier and I'm way more active. This is def the worst Ive had it... even in NYC my commute was anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes depending on what I did, and I was waking up at like 7:30-8:00 instead of the 6:30 I'm waking up at now. I think that might be the difference.

Anyways Im doing 5x4x85% weekly and alternating between 4x6x77% and 3x9x70% on my other bench day. Might up the bench volume a little and do high and low intensity every push day. Prob gonna start going to bed at 10:30 instead of 11-11:30 too. I'm getting old frown.gif
post #46114 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post


I'm not cutting yet. Waiting till next year, and trying to stabilize my strength and get used to this new routine through the end of this year. I knew the job would ding me... have to wake up an hour earlier and I'm way more active. This is def the worst Ive had it... even in NYC my commute was anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes depending on what I did, and I was waking up at like 7:30-8:00 instead of the 6:30 I'm waking up at now. I think that might be the difference.

Anyways Im doing 5x4x85% weekly and alternating between 4x6x77% and 3x9x70% on my other bench day. Might up the bench volume a little and do high and low intensity every push day. Prob gonna start going to bed at 10:30 instead of 11-11:30 too. I'm getting old frown.gif

 

Ok.

Just so you know, my percentages for those rep ranges are lower. I think 5x4 @85% is rather high for someone beyond the noob stage that can't set PRs every session.

For reference, I only do doubles or triples at 85%, like 4x3 at most or even just one set of a double or triple at that intensity. That's how the Sheiko routines are set up and the Norwegians also train very light, "never miss lifts in training", etc... 

 

I could def be wrong here, but I don't think you need to push it that far to make gains. Like I've said before, my percentages for the lifts are waaaay lower now than when I set up my own program, but I'm making progress in terms of bigger PRs and better lifts in terms of technique, better recovery, less aching, can lift with higher volume, etc. Maybe you should consider dropping the the percentages by 5% or so and focus on the execution of each lift, not just whether it will go up or not (that's what I thought before at least).

post #46115 of 57263

Yeah, I was pretty exhausted towards the tail end of this week. Everything felt heavy. I was happy to be able to finish a semblance of a workout and go home.


I'm trying to fix my schedule so I can be at work earlier and leave early enough to get an hour and a half at the gym.

post #46116 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Ok.
Just so you know, my percentages for those rep ranges are lower. I think 5x4 @85% is rather high for someone beyond the noob stage that can't set PRs every session.
For reference, I only do doubles or triples at 85%, like 4x3 at most or even just one set of a double or triple at that intensity. That's how the Sheiko routines are set up and the Norwegians also train very light, "never miss lifts in training", etc... 

I could def be wrong here, but I don't think you need to push it that far to make gains. Like I've said before, my percentages for the lifts are waaaay lower now than when I set up my own program, but I'm making progress in terms of bigger PRs and better lifts in terms of technique, better recovery, less aching, can lift with higher volume, etc. Maybe you should consider dropping the the percentages by 5% or so and focus on the execution of each lift, not just whether it will go up or not (that's what I thought before at least).
You were right before about dropping the weight + intensity. I'm def gonna have to drop weight on my 3x9, but my 4x6 & 5x4 feel good. If shit starts to feel too intense, I'll drop the percentages. But over the last month or so I put some lbs on my 4x6 & 5x4. If it keeps going up I'll stick with it. It's also possible I might be underestimating my 1RM.... I never actually tested that shit.
post #46117 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post


You were right before about dropping the weight + intensity. I'm def gonna have to drop weight on my 3x9, but my 4x6 & 5x4 feel good. If shit starts to feel too intense, I'll drop the percentages. But over the last month or so I put some lbs on my 4x6 & 5x4. If it keeps going up I'll stick with it. It's also possible I might be underestimating my 1RM.... I never actually tested that shit.

 

Just try to do a heavy double or triple and put it into a calculator. Less risky than a true 1RM and it approximates well enough to figure out where you should be weight-wise.

Side note: If I struggle with weights, I usually settle for a lower weight and end up doing the reps way more slowly to focus on the contraction, especially for my chest. I think I'm going to start doing some light work before working sets to do that for ever exercise. I do pulldowns for my back at the end of the workout with super light weight to feel the full contraction. I'll start doing that for every exercise I think.

I'm purposely working with lighter weights in general, so this probably doesn't apply to 90% of the people here.

post #46118 of 57263
jesus fucking christ what is it with you people having weeping vaginas over 1rms? it's possible to lift something close to your max/at your max on a semi-regular basis without spontaneously combusting, simultaneously sustaining multiple catastrophic compound fractures and subsequently being confined to a wheelchair for the rest of your life.
post #46119 of 57263

Meh, it's just me.

 

Slash, insert *you people, who are you calling you people* . gif

post #46120 of 57263
bro you totaled your shoulder and elbow fascia squatting heavy every day.
post #46121 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

bro you totaled your shoulder and elbow fascia squatting heavy every day.

me hurting myself was more of a function of me not addressing an injury and instead training through it. i could have just as easily fucked myself up doing literally anything else; not to mention, what does any of that have to do with attempting 1rms more than once a year?

edit: and by "totaled my shoulder and elbow fascia" i think you meant "bad case of tennis elbow"
post #46122 of 57263
If u arent competing in PL, what is the point of 1RMing

Its not worth the work/risk for some people.
post #46123 of 57263
you made a post about underestimating your 1rm after basing your sets x reps on percentages as incredibly specific as 77%, no more, no less.... which happens to be a typical scheme that would be used by, say, powerlifters. this is after asking a powerlifter about his input on said powerlifting-style routine, wherein literally every movement of mention is calculated down to the weight and rep, based on - you guessed it - your 1rm.

i don't know what else to say other than go try a 1rm if you're going to twist your panties in a knot over 5x4 @ 85% and 4x6 @ 77%. it's possible to do singles - not catastrophic-failure-of-all-human-body-systems-singles-1rm - to a point of losing speed, or form failure, or grind-out-til-you-get-a-nosebleed failure. if you are really so concerned about your percentages that are being based off a 1rm, you should probably do a 1rm once in awhile.
post #46124 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

you made a post about underestimating your 1rm after basing your sets x reps on percentages as incredibly specific as 77%, no more, no less.... which happens to be a typical scheme that would be used by, say, powerlifters. this is after asking a powerlifter about his input on said powerlifting-style routine, wherein literally every movement of mention is calculated down to the weight and rep, based on - you guessed it - your 1rm.

i don't know what else to say other than go try a 1rm if you're going to twist your panties in a knot over 5x4 @ 85% and 4x6 @ 77%. it's possible to do singles - not catastrophic-failure-of-all-human-body-systems-singles-1rm - to a point of losing speed, or form failure, or grind-out-til-you-get-a-nosebleed failure. if you are really so concerned about your percentages that are being based off a 1rm, you should probably do a 1rm once in awhile.

Only person twisting their panties into knots is you dude, calm the fuck down. Plenty of competitive PLers don't 1RM outside of competitions and use theoretical 1RMs for gauging 1RM progress and programming. I chose my %ages for where I am with my bench at different rep ranges (65% ~ 185, 77.25% = 205, 85% = 225) and are hardly set in stone. So again not really sure what you are raging about.
post #46125 of 57263
defensive much? you asked what the point of 1rm'ing was if you weren't competing in PLing. i pointed out how you provided a context for doing a 1rm based on what you have been writing about, and hence a case for doing singles. you said you underestimated your 1rm, so, go do a 1rm already if you think you're underestimating it. past that, if you're only talking in percentages purely as a different way to notate any given lb figure as you have stated, and not for any practical reason as it relates to programming, what relevance does 1rm even have if you aren't even using it as a meaningful indicator of anything? why would you even mention it if it means nothing?

my initial point was that people seem scared of doing singles anywhere remotely near max for some silly reason - unless you are doing a legitimate, smelling-salts-and-heavy-metal-chest-thumping-at-a-meet-make-the-lift-or-die-1rm, you really don't have to worry about fucking yourself up any more than you would at any other level of high exertion - that is unless you have shit form."risk" is a shit answer for not doing singles, especially if you talk about doing doubles or triples in the same breath. "1rm" doesn't mean "go load up +50lbs of what you can actually handle, fuck yourself up and then cry to RHET about how 1rm's are dangerous." 1rm - a training 1rm that would be used to set percentages for the rest of your programming - can/should be a heavy single to just before form breakdown. chances are, if you fuck yourself up acutely doing a single in that manner yet train at other relatively-heavy rep ranges you were probably already fucking yourself up chronically with the cumulative effects of shitty form.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts