or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2776

post #41626 of 57259
I can't put any weight on my right foot for the next two months (at least) because of a torn plantar plate. Fuck this sucks
post #41627 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

Why do gym-goers insist on suspending their feet in air for bench press? You can press heavier weight with feet on ground, which you think would lead to better strength and muscle development. Will the defenders claim ether MMC?

Its used to make the bench press isolate the upper body movers more. On a regular powerlifting bench press you'll use te legs a lot to drive the bar up from the bottom. Hold the feet mid air and that power is gone.

So it's simply a way to work at high efforts with less weight so you can put less load on your joints and CNS but still get a good stimuli. Its also a very close isolation movement to the bench press. You can't arch so you also take out the upper back making it more pec, delt and tricep intensive.

Many PLers use it at my gym.
post #41628 of 57259

Did my two compounds and a couple more things and bailed out of the gym today. Kinda feel like everything hurts, I may take a day or two off or reset something.  This is somewhat to be expected on a cut, yea? Lifting 3x a week at 2/3rds the number of sets and doing yoga 1-2x a week.

post #41629 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Did my two compounds and a couple more things and bailed out of the gym today. Kinda feel like everything hurts, I may take a day or two off or reset something.  This is somewhat to be expected on a cut, yea? Lifting 3x a week at 2/3rds the number of sets and doing yoga 1-2x a week.

Same here sorta... I just feel kinda tired and sore all over physically. Looking back at my logs i've been lifting 4x a week at max effort for at least ~3months. Might take a few days off, or at the least deload and go lighter.
post #41630 of 57259
How is that cut going Mark?
post #41631 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post


Same here sorta... I just feel kinda tired and sore all over physically. Looking back at my logs i've been lifting 4x a week at max effort for at least ~3months. Might take a few days off, or at the least deload and go lighter.

 

Yeah, especially the past two weeks it's been pretty rough, and I've PRed a few times on deadlift and am within 5 pounds of my 5 RM max on OHP and bench, so really it's not too surprising.  I think I will just reset all the lifts.

post #41632 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

How is that cut going Mark?

Pretty well if I say so myself, started the 1st of Feb at around 208, weighed in this monday at 194. Strength has maintained or increased on certain lifts, which is awesome. Gotten comments that I lost weight, and can fit into old raw denim and pants again, chest and arms getting more cut, belly fat still there like a motherfucker though. thatll be the last to go for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Yeah, especially the past two weeks it's been pretty rough, and I've PRed a few times on deadlift and am within 5 pounds of my 5 RM max on OHP and bench, so really it's not too surprising.  I think I will just reset all the lifts.

Resetting to what though? I think it would be silly to reset completely from where you started, maybe 10-20 lbs from where you started
post #41633 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post


Pretty well if I say so myself, started the 1st of Feb at around 208, weighed in this monday at 194. Strength has maintained or increased on certain lifts, which is awesome. Gotten comments that I lost weight, and can fit into old raw denim and pants again, chest and arms getting more cut, belly fat still there like a motherfucker though. thatll be the last to go for sure.
Resetting to what though? I think it would be silly to reset completely from where you started, maybe 10-20 lbs from where you started

 

The standard 15%, it's what the program I'm on calls for.  

post #41634 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Now that everyone's angus is sufficiently peppered, would be interesting to see everyones exact routines/splits/whatever you want to call it.

Who's got the balls to post theirs?

5/3/1 ^_^, hard cardio/mobility on all off days.
post #41635 of 57259
Thread Starter 
Texas Method as of yesterday. Feels fucking weird to have a low rep low weight squat day... It's like I didn't even work out
post #41636 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Bro you gotta fix that frown.gif Do you sleep on that side?

I know buying shit sucks but maybe try a slingshot or wrap a band around elbows and see if that allows you to bench? My friend had elbows issues and got one of those elbow compression type things and it has helped.

I have the rehband elbow sleeves and slingshot elbow bands. Rehbands help a bit, but the slingshot sleeves compress too much and just cause pain.

As far as training through with assistive devices goes, its not worth it. Ive tried training through it rather than around it whether by restricting ROM or otherwise, and the elbow isn't improving. At this point, I'm in my 6th month of elbow pain and substandard training - its just not worth it to bench with a slingshot or something. I'd rather drop pressing/rowing altogether and let the damn thing heal rather than dick around with benching 95lbs or doing half ROM dB presses. There's no great strength or size gains to be had, so why risk it? At this point I'm paranoid about doing permanent damage so yeah better safe than sorry.

Ive had a pretty piss poor attitude towards it the entire time, so now I'm just embracing the limitation. I'm sure once I focus on blasting front squats and ghrs I'll end up healthier and stronger in the long run as opposed to half assing upper body stuff that doesn't do much other than delay the healing process. dB pressing 70s and having a dyel chest and a bum elbow for a long time is way worse than not dB pressing, having a more dyel chest, but healing faster and getting back to proper training sooner.
post #41637 of 57259
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1637119

Here's your lols for the day. I had some good troll posts in there but they got deleted frown.gif. Fuck, hockey fans are stupid.
post #41638 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post
 

Did my two compounds and a couple more things and bailed out of the gym today. Kinda feel like everything hurts, I may take a day or two off or reset something.  This is somewhat to be expected on a cut, yea? Lifting 3x a week at 2/3rds the number of sets and doing yoga 1-2x a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post


Same here sorta... I just feel kinda tired and sore all over physically. Looking back at my logs i've been lifting 4x a week at max effort for at least ~3months. Might take a few days off, or at the least deload and go lighter.

 

Having less bodyfat will make you more injury prone and sensitive to tweaks and aches. More fat around the muscles, bones and tendons basically work as a protective layer.

One of the guys at my gym is constantly ripped and works as a physio but he always has something that hurts. Many of the other guys sit around 13-18% and they don't seem to have as many issues.

One of the reasons athletes in powerlifting or sports like american football don't sit at sub 10% the whole year around. They would fuck themselves up much easier if so while moving heavy weights regularly.

post #41639 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

One of the reasons athletes in powerlifting or sports like american football don't sit at sub 10% the whole year around. They would fuck themselves up much easier if so while moving heavy weights regularly.

C'mon dude.

That *could* be one of the reasons but it's primarily the leverage the extra body weight provides.
post #41640 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

C'mon dude.

That *could* be one of the reasons but it's primarily the leverage the extra body weight provides.

I was waiting for somebody to call that out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts