or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2774

post #41596 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

For guys who can't squat 2.5x bw, you guys sure nitpick about training programs smile.gif

I'm like 30 lbs off a 2.5bw squat :P.
post #41597 of 57266
i thought the whole point behind the rarrghghh squats n bench n deadlifts n milk thing was to provide a simple, dumb-proof way for completely unconditioned and nonathletic internet basement dwellers to actually make some kind of progress in the gym instead of getting sidetracked weekly on the latest ultra mega hyper intensity xxx ronnie jay cutlerman bodybuilding blast volume assault workout

r/fit/ what have you done
post #41598 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

I'm like 30 lbs off a 2.5bw squat :P.

Get there (below parallel) and then you can talk about all the nitpicking you do. nod[1].gif
post #41599 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

Get there (below parallel) and then you can talk about all the nitpicking you do. nod[1].gif

My whole entire point is I am backing away from a powerlifting routine for the time being. I won't be testing my 1rm for a while.
post #41600 of 57266
Yea, but I dont think Dan is natty. He clearing took a bunch of muscle ballooning anabolics so argument invalid.
post #41601 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

My whole entire point is I am backing away from a powerlifting routine for the time being. I won't be testing my 1rm for a while.


But how are you going to make gains now? Won't your test and gh levels drop if you don't squat at least 3 days a week?
post #41602 of 57266
I feel like I'm the only person ITT anymore who just goes in and lifts shit without all this intricate planning and microanalysis. I don't even have a written routine.
post #41603 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

I feel like I'm the only person ITT anymore who just goes in and lifts shit without all this intricate planning and microanalysis. I don't even have a written routine.

Checking in... to a point.
post #41604 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post


My friend dan is a great example of this. He literally never squatted, deadlifted or benched other than close grip and this is hws he looked like at 20.

 

Great example of someone who got big not doing the big three.

 

The interesting question here is how he would've looked if he also moved big weights squatting and deadlifting. I don't think bench press is a holy lift as it can be substituted for many other presses.

Squats and deadlifts on the other hand is been linked to more growth hormone production than say hack squats or hamstring curls. 

 

Not saying that he (or anyone) who trains for aesthetics should do SS. That's ridiculous. It would be interesting though to see how he would do with some heavy squats and then isolation movements, like a Powerbuilding template. From what I've seen, it seems like many natural bodybuilders still do the main compounds a lot (Matt Ogus (half natty), Alberto Nunez) but still put a lot of focus on isolating their smaller muscles with typical BBing methods such as hitting from different angles, TUT, forced reps, occlusion training, etc... Enhanced BBers seem to be able to get great progress moslty working with machines and such and training on a larger split with less frequency. Could be wrong though but that's the overall idea I get from observing the training of enhanced professional BBers like Cutler vs natural ones like Nunez.

post #41605 of 57266
lol holy shit rhet certainly is smack.gif this morning

Dan doesn't squat 4x a week... only 2x a week (a back squat day and a front squat day). That's not saying he doesn't do a lot of volume on those two days tho. Also all the accessory work every training day is straight out of bodybuilding. Having bigger massels serves a purpose other than lookin fly.

/namedropping
post #41606 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

So essentially scientific research is troublesome/worthless on the internet?



I'm not saying I disagree, but interesting notion.

 



Most exercise science is nearly useless in practical application. It's just too hard to setup a study that can actually isolate results. Nutrition science is the same way. It's why all this bullshit is annoying, people take interesting but inconclusive studies and try to design programs around them that aren't actually grounded in anything.
post #41607 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Great example of someone who got big not doing the big three.

The interesting question here is how he would've looked if he also moved big weights squatting and deadlifting. I don't think bench press is a holy lift as it can be substituted for many other presses.
Squats and deadlifts on the other hand is been linked to more growth hormone production than say hack squats or hamstring curls. 

Not saying that he (or anyone) who trains for aesthetics should do SS. That's ridiculous. It would be interesting though to see how he would do with some heavy squats and then isolation movements, like a Powerbuilding template. From what I've seen, it seems like many natural bodybuilders still do the main compounds a lot (Matt Ogus (half natty), Alberto Nunez) but still put a lot of focus on isolating their smaller muscles with typical BBing methods such as hitting from different angles, TUT, forced reps, occlusion training, etc... Enhanced BBers seem to be able to get great progress moslty working with machines and such and training on a larger split with less frequency. Could be wrong though but that's the overall idea I get from observing the training of enhanced professional BBers like Cutler vs natural ones like Nunez.

Who knows what he would have liked. Maybe even bigger, maybe smaller. It was just an example of great development with no powerlifting influence.
post #41608 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

I feel like I'm the only person ITT anymore who just goes in and lifts shit without all this intricate planning and microanalysis. I don't even have a written routine.

KISS. Not that I don't love rhet, but I got nothing to contribute to these discussions. I literally just eat, lift, cardio, repeat. Nothing fancy and I'm probably at my strongest right now. Getting close to 1100 and clocked in at 162lbs this morning.
post #41609 of 57266
Luckily [Olympic] weight lifters have the sort of aesthetics that I would want, so I don't worry about performance vs appearance.... it's all the same for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

I feel like I'm the only person ITT anymore who just goes in and lifts shit without all this intricate planning and microanalysis. I don't even have a written routine.

I have a general template, but specific exercises are left up to what I feel will be most beneficial. One snatch focus day, one clean & jerk focus day, one lower weight technique day, one heavy singles day, and one general strength day. Except for the heavy singles day, each of the other is usually 3-4 big compound movements then 3-4 higher-rep assistance movements. Simple, easy. Then again, I have no illusions of becoming a top 5 ranked athlete as I enter my 30s, so as long as I'm having fun and making some progress I'm happy. Sure, I could probably have more effective programming, but I have a lot of other old people shit to worry about.... the last thing I want to do it turn my fun time at the gym into another source of stress.
post #41610 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

i'm not talking about calories burned but calories consumed

you can set a daily goal in MFP but you can't have it change on a daily basis which is what i want
I use fatsecret but MFP should have the same functionality. You could set your baseline as the daily goal and eat 20% above on workout days and 20% on rest days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts