or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2772

post #41566 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

First of all: http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/08/09/dan-green-on-bodybuilding-for-powerlifting/

Second of all if you think that top level powerlifters aren't using just as much gear as bodybuilders than idk what to tell you.

A great example of heavy weight high volume being the best mass builder would be to look at every single strongman competitor. They are all yoked up and train high reps.

You're misunderstanding me.

I've read that article too many times. Dan Green certainly use various BBing methods but he still has a much higher frequency and specificity to his training than the typical bodybuilder doing a 5-split. Dan green has templates with up to 4 times squatting a week. He has several timed voiced his opinion against the powerlifting program with the most focus on isolation movements and that muscles growth drives the big three up, which is the Westside method. There's another article by him on that site where he basically said that assistance work such as JM presses and reverse hypers didn't do as much for his bench and squat as simply benching and squatting more often, that is increasing frequency.

I did not say tht top powerlifters use less performance enhancing drugs. I said that bodybuilders have better genetics for looking good and use synthol and muscle "ballooning" drugs which powerlifters don't and that is the main reason professional bodybuilders look better, not because their training method is superior.

More frequency does not equal less volume. In fact, look at Stronglifts 5x5, whick many people see as a low volume program. 3 days of squatting 5 sets and every other training day deadlifting 1 top set equals 15 or 16 heavy compound sets a week. That's not too far off what tou would do on a leg day with a 5-split or whatever. With stronglifts (or any other sinilar program) you could easily add in 3-5 sets of lounges every session and you now have over 30 sets for legs every week spread over 3 sessions. 30 sets on one leg day will not be as productive as your overall intensity will go down due to fatigue and tou will have higher DOMS and more fatigue as a result of the extreme volume in one session. This is just ny view on the subject and what I percieve as benefits of a spread out volume over more sessions.

Strongmen do have lower frequency with their sports specific "event training" but that's mostly because the strongman lifts / exercises are extremely CNS demanding with tons of very carries and deadlift variations. High frequency event training would burn most people out too fast.
post #41567 of 47774
Plus Ronnie Coleman can DL 800lbs

Being strong = moving weight. I lift for aesthetics but PLing makes me feel like a man. The two rep ranges and compounds/isolation movements all complement each other. No sense in leaving any gains on the table no matter what your goals are.
post #41568 of 47774
I see my Tyler Durden comment ruffled a few feathers. To each is own.

Anyway,
Does anyone do a certain amount of push-ups everyday ?

I'm clocking in 600 a day currently doing 10 sets of 60. Each week I add 10 reps to each set. Hoping to be doing 10 sets of 100 by the first week in a May.
post #41569 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

You're misunderstanding me.

I've read that article too many times. Dan Green certainly use various BBing methods but he still has a much higher frequency and specificity to his training than the typical bodybuilder doing a 5-split. Dan green has templates with up to 4 times squatting a week. He has several timed voiced his opinion against the powerlifting program with the most focus on isolation movements and that muscles growth drives the big three up, which is the Westside methodology. There's another article by him on that site where he basically said that assistance work such as JM presses and reverse hypers didn't do as much for his bench and squat as simply benching and squatting more often, that is increasing frequency.

I did not say tht top powerlifters use less performance enhancing drugs. I said that bodybuilders have better genetics for looking good and use synthol and muscle "ballooning" drugs which powerlifters don't and that is the main reason professional bodybuilders look better, not because their training method is superior.

Their methods are definitely superior for gaining size. I don't really understand your point, are you trying to say that bodybuilders aesthetics are due to genetics, drugs and blind luck and that powerlifters programming is superior for size gains? Dan green trains the squat four times a week because his focus is on having the highest 1rm he can. When he squats four times a week his focus isn't on hypertrophy and even says that during times
Where he felt he needed to build quad size he switched off to bodybuilding style training.

I think we may be arguing different things. Training lower rep ranges with more frequency is definitely better for getting your big three numbers up but high volume heavy weight training is most definitely a better method for hypertrophy.
post #41570 of 47774
For guys who can't squat 2.5x bw, you guys sure nitpick about training programs smile.gif
post #41571 of 47774
Alright, I got a bit off topic there.

I agree that very high frequency (3-6 times a week) maybe is not optimal for size. I also think once a week is not optimal. Two times a week seems like a good balance where the muscle as enough time to recover fully to the next session (maximal growth) and you also get more work than once a week. Mike Israetel covers that in his video. If I had size as my main goal, I'd do upper/lower with one days rest after doing both. Newbies can possibly gain good size from 3x a week but if you're very strong, going heavy that often could disrupt the SRA principle.

And yes, I believe that being successful in bodybuilding is mostly down to genetics and drug use. Success in powerlifting or any other sport where performance is the competitive element is mostly down to training correctly. Drugs or good genetics (right kind of muscle fibers, body type) will help any sports athlete but I don't think they can substitute good training. If hypertrophy is your goal, you need to stimulate growth, which can be done pretty much however you want. Getting really strong (or good at your sport) seems to require more specific and planned training.
post #41572 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

You're misunderstanding me.

I've read that article too many times. Dan Green certainly use various BBing methods but he still has a much higher frequency and specificity to his training than the typical bodybuilder doing a 5-split. Dan green has templates with up to 4 times squatting a week. He has several timed voiced his opinion against the powerlifting program with the most focus on isolation movements and that muscles growth drives the big three up, which is the Westside method. There's another article by him on that site where he basically said that assistance work such as JM presses and reverse hypers didn't do as much for his bench and squat as simply benching and squatting more often, that is increasing frequency.

I did not say tht top powerlifters use less performance enhancing drugs. I said that bodybuilders have better genetics for looking good and use synthol and muscle "ballooning" drugs which powerlifters don't and that is the main reason professional bodybuilders look better, not because their training method is superior.

More frequency does not equal less volume. In fact, look at Stronglifts 5x5, whick many people see as a low volume program. 3 days of squatting 5 sets and every other training day deadlifting 1 top set equals 15 or 16 heavy compound sets a week. That's not too far off what tou would do on a leg day with a 5-split or whatever. With stronglifts (or any other sinilar program) you could easily add in 3-5 sets of lounges every session and you now have over 30 sets for legs every week spread over 3 sessions. 30 sets on one leg day will not be as productive as your overall intensity will go down due to fatigue and tou will have higher DOMS and more fatigue as a result of the extreme volume in one session. This is just ny view on the subject and what I percieve as benefits of a spread out volume over more sessions.

Strongmen do have lower frequency with their sports specific "event training" but that's mostly because the strongman lifts / exercises are extremely CNS demanding with tons of very carries and deadlift variations. High frequency event training would burn most people out too fast.


Please aware me on these muscle ballooning drugs man they sound sickening. Obviously synthol can give some of that site enhancement, but ronnie coleman is like 80lb more then Dan Green. Which AAS can I take to make 80lb of gains? I don't think test does that.
post #41573 of 47774

Conceptionist I think you need to stop taking everything you hear on youtube to heart

post #41574 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitman View Post

I see my Tyler Durden comment ruffled a few feathers. To each is own.

Anyway,
Does anyone do a certain amount of push-ups everyday ?

I'm clocking in 600 a day currently doing 10 sets of 60. Each week I add 10 reps to each set. Hoping to be doing 10 sets of 100 by the first week in a May.

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
post #41575 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Please aware me on these muscle ballooning drugs man they sound sickening. Obviously synthol can give some of that site enhancement, but ronnie coleman is like 80lb more then Dan Green. Which AAS can I take to make 80lb of gains? I don't think test does that.
This is an assumption but I think Ronnie uses more growth enhancing drugs than Dan. It would be pretty useless for a powerlifter to grow too much since that'd put him out of his weightclass. I admit I don't have much knowledge about specific drugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

Conceptionist I think you need to stop taking everything you hear on youtube to heart
I believe in that some styles of training are better for certain goals given that you are equally focused and putting in the same effort with both so I try to educate myself. I could be more critical of sources but at least I only follow people who are grounded in science and have practiced what they teach.
post #41576 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

This is an assumption but I think Ronnie uses more growth enhancing drugs than Dan. It would be pretty useless for a powerlifter to grow too much since that'd put him out of his weightclass. I admit I don't have much knowledge about specific drugs.
I believe in that some styles of training are better for certain goals given that you are equally focused and putting in the same effort with both so I try to educate myself. I could be more critical of sources but at least I only follow people who are grounded in science and have practiced what they teach.


Did you actually just say it's useless for powerlifters to grow too much?
post #41577 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

A great example of heavy weight high volume being the best mass builder would be to look at every single strongman competitor. They are all yoked up and train high reps.

Strongman def do not train high reps. They are yoked because most events involves some sort of pressing over head.
post #41578 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract View Post

Did you actually just say it's useless for powerlifters to grow too much?

I mean if you want to stay within a certain weight class, yea. I get what he is saying but I agree, too much internet. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes but always try to come back to what works for me regardless of what the internet says. IMO internet is useful for general ideas (eat a lot, do heavy compound lifts, dont be scared of accessories) and solving specific problems (i.e. form checks), but "general specifics" like conceptionist always seems to get into are troublesome/worthless. Nothing beats experience.
post #41579 of 47774
So essentially scientific research is troublesome/worthless on the internet?

I'm not saying I disagree, but interesting notion.
post #41580 of 47774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Strongman def do not train high reps. They are yoked because most events involves some sort of pressing over head.

Max dead lift for time, keg throws, atlas stones, loaded carries truck pulling are all high rep or high tut events. They train high reps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts