or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2767

post #41491 of 57259
jealous of that caloric surplus. id be repping 350 squat right now if i was still fat :P
post #41492 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Squat = 350
Deadlift = 415
Bench = 235

1RM Numbers I want to hit by my birthday (August) to get into 1,000lb club. Last time I tried maxing I ended up with 365 DL, 275 Squat and 225 Bench. Does this seem like a realistic goal? I understand i'm cutting now, and at best will maintain my lifts, but I'll probably be done by mid-June, and either start a slow clean bulk, or eat at maintenance for a bit.

Since your cutting I assume your numbers are not going to improve or possibly go down by june so I'd say it'd be pretty hard to put a minimum of 75lb on your squat between june and august.

I think as your approach 10% or whatever it is you're cutting to your lifts will drop much faster then going from say 20% to 18%. If you look at your squat in terms of a % of your body weight, you squatted 275 at a bw of like 200 right so under 1.5xbw and you want to go to 2xbw after a few months of cutting and 2 months of bulking.
post #41493 of 57259
If anything, i'm sure I could up the bench and lower squat to hit 1,000. Such a chestbrah foo.gif
post #41494 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Well, i'm looking at it this way, Squat max was tested while I was still bulking, and my squat for reps has increased since then, and I've still managed linear progression on this cut. Like you say, even if I could increase my squat for reps by 20lbs, that cuts it down to 55. If we assume that since I last tested my max, it has gone up by 10lbs, that's 45.

So 45lbs in two months, coming off a cut I think is possible. Add to the fact that the squat is my worst lift, and my form is still not all there... so things can only get better.
Tecnique refinement will add many pounds, but your gonna see a drastic change in how squats and dealifts feel when you get down to 10%. You will have a lot harder time stabilizing your core.

45 pounds in two months is also a lot when you're past your noob gains. My squat has gone from 265 in Dec to 315 now, so thats 50 pounds in 3 months while bulking. You also sort of hit a wall when you start repping 275 because the weight are starting to actually get heavy. I could go on linear progression up to 275 with 5x5 increasing weights every session but past that point it started to get slower.
post #41495 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Tecnique refinement will add many pounds, but your gonna see a drastic change in how squats and dealifts feel when you get down to 10%. You will have a lot harder time stabilizing your core.

45 pounds in two months is also a lot when you're past your noob gains. My squat has gone from 265 in Dec to 315 now, so thats 50 pounds in 3 months while bulking. You also sort of hit a wall when you start repping 275 because the weight are starting to actually get heavy. I could go on linear progression up to 275 with 5x5 increasing weights every session but past that point it started to get slower.


You're not wrong, i'm repping 230 5x5 and it is already feeling heavy, and I could definitely see how being thinner would make it even harder... perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but i'll hold out hope.

It's probably time to add a belt sometime soon though right, would help I think. When did you realize you needed one?
post #41496 of 57259
Crushed 1,000 dreams

Mark get a belt, there's studies that show abdominal pressure doesn't decrease with a belt and glute+hamstring activation actually increases with it.
post #41497 of 57259
ugh patellar pain when squatting ugh. Goes away during my heavier sets but comes back like a bitch when i'm cooled down.
post #41498 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

You're not wrong, i'm repping 230 5x5 and it is already feeling heavy, and I could definitely see how being thinner would make it even harder... perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but i'll hold out hope.

It's probably time to add a belt sometime soon though right, would help I think. When did you realize you needed one?

I think that as soon as you squat 2 plates, its heavy enough to fuck you up. I was at the physiotherapist today and she said I got a small slip in a disc from that deadlift incident with only 200 pounds. Nothing serious, rest will take care if it but it shows that you can fuck yourself up with low weights.

I ordered an Inzer belt a month ago from Poland but it never shipped. Not too surprised, lol. Bought another belt yesterday.

Coldsnap is right. A belt won't take the abs out of the lift. If you set the belt super tight it may not require you to flex your abs as tight as the belt itself will stabilize but set it looser so you have to actively push your abs out into the belt and you'll def train your core.

What I'm gonna do and what many other do is that the first warmup sets are without the belt, around the last 2 warmup sets you pit it on loosely and on the worksets you put it tight.
post #41499 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

I think that as soon as you squat 2 plates, its heavy enough to fuck you up. I was at the physiotherapist today and she said I got a small slip in a disc from that deadlift incident with only 200 pounds. Nothing serious, rest will take care if it but it shows that you can fuck yourself up with low weights.

I ordered an Inzer belt a month ago from Poland but it never shipped. Not too surprised, lol. Bought another belt yesterday.

Coldsnap is right. A belt won't take the abs out of the lift. If you set the belt super tight it may not require youto flex your abs as tight as the belt itslef will stabilize but set it looser so you have to actively push your abs out into the belt and you'll def train your core.

What I'm gonna do and what many other do is that the first warmup sets are without the belt, around the last 2 warmup sets you pit it on loosely and on the worksets you put it tight.

Yeah, makes sense. I think a belt is in order, soon as I have some extra funds i'm going to buy myself an inzer.

How ya'll sizing it, thinking i'll be good with a medium.
post #41500 of 57259
Omar Isuf had a good video or two on the proper use of belts. I'd recommend checking them out.
post #41501 of 57259
Actually the best coach in the world responsible for some of the strongest and most aesthetic athletes posted an article on belts today

http://www.t-nation.com/training/the-belt-and-the-deadlift

You are in luck rhet, he has blessed us with some knowledge.
post #41502 of 57259
I feel like injuries with lighter weight is less because of wearing a belt (or straps or wraps or w/e) and more with a mentality of not taking the weight seriously. 200 pounds is probably an easy warm up for most people, and when you think about it like that, you're not going to commit yourself fully to the lift. Watch Charly videos, or almost any elite strength athlete... they will do a warm-up set at 300 pounds with the same form and concentration and intensity as they do their working sets at 600 pounds. They won't rush through warm-ups because it's an easy weight; if anything lighter warm-up sets are perfect to drill in correct positions. And if you're hitting your positions correctly, you shouldn't be injuring yourself.

Just my 2 cents.
post #41503 of 57259
Agreed, I take my warmups damn seriously. They set the pace for the day.


I make my own chipotle from home. Gonna do this too.
post #41504 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Actually the best coach in the world responsible for some of the strongest and most aesthetic athletes posted an article on belts today

http://www.t-nation.com/training/the-belt-and-the-deadlift

You are in luck rhet, he has blessed us with some knowledge.

That feel when you JUST purchased a 4" belt.
post #41505 of 57259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

That feel when you JUST purchased a 4" belt.

Yeah wtf, this completely renders a Inzer useless. I hate the internet cause all the conflicting advice makes your head spin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts