or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2649

post #39721 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

I edited my last post and added some more stuff.

Read that.

I don't want to push you into some method that requires way too much effort. Simply focus on hitting those macros every day. Not harder than that. Eat stuff you like. Feel free to squeeze in some treats every now and then as long as you don't go well over your macros, like GN said.

Starting this high with only a 300 deficit a day, you'll have lots of room for reductions later on. I also did more frequent walking (not intense cardio) at the end rather than reducing calories.

1800 a day is waaaaay too low on a workout day Mark. Thats a good way to fuck up your metabolism. You prob won't need to go under 2500 on workout days and 2000 on rest days, if you're patient and don't reduce calories as soon as you start fearing you've stalled. Increase acitivity first when you stall (unless you're already very active) and then reduce calories slowly in the increments I've written.

You're not pushing me, the reason I like this method is because it is so clear cut and structured, and it makes a lot of sense.

I'm just like you in the sense that all of this nutrition stuff interests me, and to be honest I kind of regret not educating myself earlier. Probably would not have done such a dirty bulk in the first place, if I knew more about nutrition and the like.

I've been doing a lot of reading on my own, aside from your very well written and thought out posts, and I think kind of protocol just makes the most sense.

With that being said, I agree in ending it here, and moving conversation to PM if anything, thanks for that. No need to shit up the thread more than necessary.
post #39722 of 57263
Tbh unless you're going to sub-10% bf which most people shouldn't, I don't see a point in tracking macros other than making sure you get enough protein.
post #39723 of 57263

I agree to some extent.

 

Its not very healthy to be sub-10% and having too much attention on macros and your diet can cause eating disorders. I think its a close call for a lot of fitness people. I honestly did not look healthy when I was the leanest and sometimes I wasn't feeling very well. Professional athletes are by no means healthy people and no sport is going to be healthy if you take it to its extreme. 

 

I do think however, that tracking macros can provide a needed structure for a lot of people and increase their awareness of what they eat and how it affects them. Its also a failsafe and very efficient way to success if you do it right.

post #39724 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

I've heard this too, but i've heard that it's actually a positive thing, because if you raise calories again slowly, and watch macros, you'll build new muscle quickly.
This is the hang up. In my broscience mind I would figure the body would prioritize fat storage over muscle building coming out of "starvation mode". So the best way to approach it is to just take things slow to where you never get down to that point. 1lb/wk max, refeeds, decent amount of training volume so your body is forced to maintain muscle. I did some major metabolic damage on my first cut and it was pretty awful. Took a long time to recover, and I gained back all the weight I lost.
post #39725 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post

I think by burn out he means expending too much mental energy on meal timing/getting your macro ratio exactly right, especially when you're busy or on the go.

What helped me in my cut is knowing "ok it's a high fat day i'm in a rush ok gonna order 2 mcdoubles without the bun" or "ok it's a high carb day i'm gonna go to subway and get a footlong double meat chicken breast w/ only 1 bun." and knowing what the macros in those were.

BW in protein and between 75% and 80% of your non-protein calories from fat (if rest day) or carbs (if workout day). Putting this kinda shit on autopilot takes your mind off of it.

Yea, having a dietary routine is just as good as a lifting routine. I still weigh shit out just to know what the deal is but it's all second nature now. Gonna make cutting that much easier.
post #39726 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

This is the hang up. In my broscience mind I would figure the body would prioritize fat storage over muscle building coming out of "starvation mode". So the best way to approach it is to just take things slow to where you never get down to that point. 1lb/wk max, refeeds, decent amount of training volume so your body is forced to maintain muscle. I did some major metabolic damage on my first cut and it was pretty awful. Took a long time to recover, and I gained back all the weight I lost.

When you say metabolic damage, what exactly do you mean?
post #39727 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

When you say metabolic damage, what exactly do you mean?
Severe calorie restriction will lower your maintenance level to the point where eating more than maintenance will result in excess fat gain and make subsequent cuts harder because you are starting new cuts at a lower maintenance level.
post #39728 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihambrecht View Post

Severe calorie restriction will lower your maintenance level to the point where eating more than maintenance will result in excess fat gain and make subsequent cuts harder because you are starting new cuts at a lower maintenance level.

Ok, this I understand, but if that's the only case for metabolic damage, I think it's null and void if I never drop below 22-2500
post #39729 of 57263
I think I will stop my measly cut at 185lbs. Saw some performance decrease yesterday in my squats that I wasn't happy about.
post #39730 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Ok, this I understand, but if that's the only case for metabolic damage, I think it's null and void if I never drop below 22-2500

Yeah except using the parameters you have in place now you have no room to stall out.
post #39731 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihambrecht View Post

Yeah except using the parameters you have in place now you have no room to stall out.

But then you either do a refeed, or eat at maintenance for a week , then if you stall out again introduce cardio
post #39732 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

But then you either do a refeed, or eat at maintenance for a week , then if you stall out again introduce cardio

That's not what my experience was. It takes a lot longer than a week for your metabolism to speed back up.
post #39733 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

Borderline personality is the worst possible thing you can have on your medical record,

I'd probably be diagnosed with all kinds of shit, but there's a simple solution: don't go to a therapist foo.gif
post #39734 of 57263
post #39735 of 57263
yo if you don't have an alert on nyt for health and fitness articles i feel bad for you son
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts