or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2462

post #36916 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

I had a few goals and got close or beat many of them, but bad form has created a lot of injuries for me. My goal next year is to keep making strength gains but also perfect my form on everything and minimize injuries. I got overzealous with weight and volume and I'm paying for it now.

I was close to injuring my lower back at the beginning of my lifting stage but managed to work around it. Just find out in what way your technique needs to improve and build up your weaknesses if you have any. Took a lot of time for me and gains were halted, but it has paid off.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by milosh View Post

When I started I just wanted to be about intermediate by the end of the year. Looking at my current weight I don't think I'll get most of them.

Hmmm... I just looked up the exrx standards and my goals for the year are actually pretty close to the intermediate level at my current BW (180).

Goals for the big three are 3 plate DL, 2.5 plate squat and 1.5 plate bench.

 

Haven't thought about any goals for 2014 yet apart from reaching 200 pound BW somewhere around summer.

 

Quote:
 Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post


What does intermediate mean?

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

post #36917 of 57176
Have you guys ever had an evaluation done to see where you have deficiencies that may limit your lifting?

I had a PT buddy do one on my lifting partner this weekend and it was pretty revealing. Some hip imbalances, glutes not firing, limited shoulder flexibility - all of which would or have been limiting his squat and bench.
post #36918 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

I just looked up the exrx standards and my goals for the year are actually pretty close to the intermediate level at my current BW (180).
Goals for the big three are 3 plate DL, 2.5 plate squat and 1.5 plate bench.

Haven't thought about any goals for 2014 yet apart from reaching 200 pound BW somewhere around summer.

That's approximately what I expect to achieve this year but I'm already a bit short of 200lbs. 1.5plate bench is 80kg?
post #36919 of 57176
Had a skype call with my new coach. Excited to see what the programming is going to be like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagrangian View Post

yeah I'm sure if he just bought a knobbly dildo and PMed coldsnap here he'd be good to lift in like a day tops

Seriously thought it's not like his knees are broken. Jumper's knee is a common ass injury and it's just an over use injury. Take a month off, ease back in for another 2 months only doing power variations. That's why I think Donny Shankle is the best american weightlifter, dude went to worlds and scored some points with practically a broken back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Have you guys ever had an evaluation done to see where you have deficiencies that may limit your lifting?

Every workout I do is an evaluation like this.
post #36920 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh View Post


That's approximately what I expect to achieve this year but I'm already a bit short of 200lbs. 1.5plate bench is 80kg?

 

Yes. I think I got it already but I haven't tried my 1 rep max for bench in a while.

post #36921 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

What was the journey from 1000 to 1500 like for you? How long did it take?

I don't really know when I hit 1000 but when I first got serious about training, it was about 3 years ago.

About 6 months later, I did my first meet on 6/4/11. It was only a push-pull. Got a 285 bench and 465 pull. I think my squat was around a 350 in training. So let's say my projected total was around 1100.

About a month ago, I totaled 1585. So about 2.5 years from 1100 to 1585.

I'd say it was fairly linear in progress. Slow and steady, but consistent. My squat and bench have really shined. Deadlifts, not so much, but hoping to change in 2014. 700+ pull coming your way.
post #36922 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

I hit my goal of cutting (165 down to low 140's) while maintaining strength.

Goal now is to stay at this weight (or thereabout) while getting stronger.



3 yeas ago I dipped under 170 for a brief time. My friends and family thought I was literally dying.
post #36923 of 57176
post #36924 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

I don't really know when I hit 1000 but when I first got serious about training, it was about 3 years ago.

About 6 months later, I did my first meet on 6/4/11. It was only a push-pull. Got a 285 bench and 465 pull. I think my squat was around a 350 in training. So let's say my projected total was around 1100.

About a month ago, I totaled 1585. So about 2.5 years from 1100 to 1585.

I'd say it was fairly linear in progress. Slow and steady, but consistent. My squat and bench have really shined. Deadlifts, not so much, but hoping to change in 2014. 700+ pull coming your way.

Wow really? That sucks I don't wanna lift for another 3 years to hit 1500 frown.gif
post #36925 of 57176
dude you got a long ass way if you not even pulling 300 yet, takes time tho i guess.

I'm curious to see how this year treats me, I hope its a good one. I think my lifting goals for 2014 is just to not be so hard on myself and trust even more in the process.
post #36926 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy4500 View Post



3 yeas ago I dipped under 170 for a brief time. My friends and family thought I was literally dying.

I'm also ~ 5'6". MANLET STATUS.
post #36927 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy4500 View Post


3 yeas ago I dipped under 170 for a brief time. My friends and family thought I was literally dying.

Haha.

 

I've heard so much conflicting opinions about my lifting from my family.

 

- I bulked last fall and winter. They told me I was getting "too big" and that I should stop trying to gain weight.

- I began cutting during the following spring. At the end of the cut, mum sees me without a shirt and freaks out.

- I stop cutting a while later and start eating more to get back in a calorie surplus. They questioned my big meals and whether I "need to eat that much".

- I am now back to bulking and they continue to tell me that I shouldn't get bigger.

 

:brick::facepalm: 

post #36928 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

dude you got a long ass way if you not even pulling 300 yet, takes time tho i guess.

I'm curious to see how this year treats me, I hope its a good one. I think my lifting goals for 2014 is just to not be so hard on myself and trust even more in the process.

I have a feeling I'm going to get up to 350, maybe 400, pretty easily once I start using straps
post #36929 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

I think my lifting goals for 2014 is just to not be so hard on myself and trust even more in the process.

I have people telling me all the time not to be hard on myself and life would be so much easier if I listened.. but to be quite honest, I like punishing myself physically and mentally.. I know for a fact I wouldn't be where I am right now if I weren't hard on myself to be better.

I'm going 1850 by the end of 2014. I fucking know it.
post #36930 of 57176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

Wow really? That sucks I don't wanna lift for another 3 years to hit 1500 frown.gif

You might wanna change attitude if you wanna get strong satisfied.gif

Most of the strong dudes you see on youtube have years(5,10,20+) of experience. People don't seem to realize that it is a quite a marathon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts