or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2403

post #36031 of 57260
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post

Does anybody offer pointers to n00bs at the gym?

Sometimes I see these new kids doing shitty 6 inch squats with garbage form or doing other stupid shit and i feel like 5 minutes of help would make a huge difference for them and I would have appreciated it when I was first starting, but instead I just shake my head and keep doing whatever I was doing.

never give anyone unsolicited advice in the gym
post #36032 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post

Does anybody offer pointers to n00bs at the gym?

Sometimes I see these new kids doing shitty 6 inch squats with garbage form or doing other stupid shit and i feel like 5 minutes of help would make a huge difference for them and I would have appreciated it when I was first starting, but instead I just shake my head and keep doing whatever I was doing.

I never give unsolicited advice no matter how new or experienced someone is. If they don't ask, I assume my advice is unwelcome.
post #36033 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

I understand the economics of it, and I don't blame him for charging as much as he can, but it is a bit disinegenuous/insulting to try to convince people that a week of his service is worth $800. Obviously some people think it is... but that's only spawned from ignorance, not an actual evaluation of the value his service provides.
I think rule of thumb is only when injury appears imminent.

Who is he trying to convince? He named his price and it's up to the client to decide whether they want to pay it or not.
post #36034 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

I never give unsolicited advice no matter how new or experienced someone is. If they don't ask, I assume my advice is unwelcome.

This. The last thing I need is some new dude asking me DYEL when I point out his squats are shit.

That being said, I saw this one PT forcing a girl wearing a shoulder brace to do negatives on bench press with 135llbs. He then have her doing assisted wide grip pulls. Looked like it was mangling her shoulder.
post #36035 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Who is he trying to convince? He named his price and it's up to the client to decide whether they want to pay it or not.

All sales are predicated on convincing the buyer that what you offer is worth some price. At his price, he's basically just selling celebrity.
post #36036 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post

Does anybody offer pointers to n00bs at the gym?

I really don't, however I have done so once. I was squatting in a rack and a guy was squatting in the smith next to me. He was squatting on his tip toes and I tried to suggest to him to squat with a flat foot in a politely phrased way. Delicate situations can be addressed in public, but it's smart to be cautious and polite while understanding it might not go your way. There's an inherent risk to it.
post #36037 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

All sales are predicated on convincing the buyer that what you offer is worth some price. At his price, he's basically just selling celebrity.

Then they can go buy some other internet celebrity's program if they don't like the price. He's gained his celebrity based off of something and he's well within his rights to charge whatever he likes.
post #36038 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post

Then they can go buy some other internet celebrity's program if they don't like the price. He's gained his celebrity based off of something and he's well within his rights to charge whatever he likes.

That's correct. What's your gripe? I don't see how this is inconsistent with what I've said.
post #36039 of 57260
Because you've accused the guy of being 'disingenuous' by charging what he does.
post #36040 of 57260
i've made a real difference to some newbie kids by giving some form pointers. i usually open up by suggesting that people not squat in running shoes with compressible soles. it's pretty simple, non-offensive, and straightforward and if they seem like they appreciate the tip then I ask if they'd mind if i gave them a few pointers.

it helps that most people who don't know what they're doing squat in running shoes.

It also helps that i look like i lift unlike the rest of you DYEL phaggots in this thread.
post #36041 of 57260
Yeah but when you give unsolicited advice it's not as aggressive since you're such a little fella.
post #36042 of 57260
it's true. i'm highly nonthreatening.
post #36043 of 57260
I only give advice when someone asks. That used to be right after a squat or DL since 3plates+ in the gym is god tier.
post #36044 of 57260
Charly what sets do you use to work up to a 1RM on bench press?

I always seem to either be inadequately warmed up or tired by the time I get to my max attempt.
post #36045 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn View Post

I only give advice when someone asks. That used to be right after a squat or DL since 3plates+ in the gym is god tier.
Hahaha, isn't it funny how rare it is for people to squat and deadlift 3 plates. I get crazy looks when i do rows with 315.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts