or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2393

post #35881 of 57263
Topless shot from the weekend, nice scenery though. Looking a bit soft and summer is basically already here. Really don't want to have to do cardio though

post #35882 of 57263
I dunno, I'm all about constructive feedback but coming out with a "those pullups were awful" isn't really constructive feedback, is it?

On that note, gonna spout one of my unpopular opinions and obviously I'm a bit biased since it's my video in question -- but I think there's a point of diminishing returns on "form" and this thread consistently blows past it. Even if my pullups aren't straight out of Starting Strength, I'm still getting fantastic gains from it and it's showing in how much size I've put on my back over the past year. I could either keep progressing or waste a bunch of time perfecting my form so a bunch of dudes on the internet will high-five me. I think as long as you're making gains and not risking serious injury, obsessing over every minor detail in form becomes a hindrance more than actual advice. In reality, everyone's mechanics differ somewhat and what may be comfortable/efficient for you might not be the case for someone else.

/soapbox
post #35883 of 57263
I gave some reasons

I also pointed out that I expected more from someone who looks like you, so it was really a veiled compliment

And i gave kudos for actually posting a video

Why so butthurt?

Go after that khayenbii communique guy as well if you like. He said they didnt even count
post #35884 of 57263
Any thoughts on my new deadlift style btw tk?

Do you bother with trying to feel the muscles contract on dl/squat or do you just try to go heavy/hard effort?
post #35885 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

gjdm

During my time at Walter Reed I got to work with a lot of the guys(and a few women) who were benefiting from the WWP. It's an absolutely awesome charity and those soldiers are truly benefiting from it.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

+1

just got married and my wife (army doc) and I donated a few hundred bucks to WWP instead of a useless trinket that will get thrown away or forgotten. Every place setting got a note card explaining it and a lapel pin. Was pretty sweet to see so many guys wearing the WWP lapel pin at the wedding.
post #35886 of 57263
So now that I'm getting bigger and my clothes are starting to get tight, and that I have enough money saved up and can afford to actually spend it, how do you guys buy clothes? Just buy them a little loose so that you grow into em or what? I'd like to start buying nice shit, but don't wanna buy it just to grow out of it in a couple months.
post #35887 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

I dunno, I'm all about constructive feedback but coming out with a "those pullups were awful" isn't really constructive feedback, is it?

On that note, gonna spout one of my unpopular opinions and obviously I'm a bit biased since it's my video in question -- but I think there's a point of diminishing returns on "form" and this thread consistently blows past it. Even if my pullups aren't straight out of Starting Strength, I'm still getting fantastic gains from it and it's showing in how much size I've put on my back over the past year. I could either keep progressing or waste a bunch of time perfecting my form so a bunch of dudes on the internet will high-five me. I think as long as you're making gains and not risking serious injury, obsessing over every minor detail in form becomes a hindrance more than actual advice. In reality, everyone's mechanics differ somewhat and what may be comfortable/efficient for you might not be the case for someone else.

/soapbox

Do you have any problems with your shoulders going to a dead hang each rep?  It looks like your arms twist in a weird direction at the bottom.  I usually keep some tension and don't go all the way down when I do wide grip pullups.

post #35888 of 57263
Eat big, lift big, compete against yourself before you set your sights on someone else. This super complex program is working out well for me.
post #35889 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

I dunno, I'm all about constructive feedback but coming out with a "those pullups were awful" isn't really constructive feedback, is it?

On that note, gonna spout one of my unpopular opinions and obviously I'm a bit biased since it's my video in question -- but I think there's a point of diminishing returns on "form" and this thread consistently blows past it. Even if my pullups aren't straight out of Starting Strength, I'm still getting fantastic gains from it and it's showing in how much size I've put on my back over the past year. I could either keep progressing or waste a bunch of time perfecting my form so a bunch of dudes on the internet will high-five me. I think as long as you're making gains and not risking serious injury, obsessing over every minor detail in form becomes a hindrance more than actual advice. In reality, everyone's mechanics differ somewhat and what may be comfortable/efficient for you might not be the case for someone else.

/soapbox

I agree with this wholeheartedly, over and out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen7908 View Post

I gave some reasons

I also pointed out that I expected more from someone who looks like you, so it was really a veiled compliment

And i gave kudos for actually posting a video

Why so butthurt?

Go after that khayenbii communique guy as well if you like. He said they didnt even count

" I also pointed out that I expected more from someone who looks like you."

This is not a dig at anyone, but look at how much Coldsnap preaches form and mobility, etc, etc, does he look nearly as aesthetic as TK?

You should watch some probuilders work out, granted their on a ton of shit, but their form is literally fucking laughable.

I'm of the camp that says, if what you're doing works for you, and you're not injuring yourself, who gives a fuck if you're not exemplifying perfect textbook form.
post #35890 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post

So now that I'm getting bigger and my clothes are starting to get tight, and that I have enough money saved up and can afford to actually spend it, how do you guys buy clothes? Just buy them a little loose so that you grow into em or what? I'd like to start buying nice shit, but don't wanna buy it just to grow out of it in a couple months.

You hear a lot of guys say it, but for casual everyday going to class clothes all I wear are adidas jogging pants and a hoodie. i've outgrown all my pants.

i freelance, and dont have to put on an appearance for anyone workwise so it works for me. in the event i get an interview or something ill just buy a cheap uniqlo suit.

i do hope that once i start cutting my old pants will fit me again, since i will be the same weight i was when i fit into them, just hopefully at a much lower bf.
post #35891 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen7908 View Post

I gave some reasons

I also pointed out that I expected more from someone who looks like you, so it was really a veiled compliment

And i gave kudos for actually posting a video

Why so butthurt?

Go after that khayenbii communique guy as well if you like. He said they didnt even count

You gave reasons after I pressed you for them. Not really butthurt...my fitness goals have never revolved around getting praises for good form so it's no big deal.
post #35892 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabster410 View Post

Do you have any problems with your shoulders going to a dead hang each rep?  It looks like your arms twist in a weird direction at the bottom.  I usually keep some tension and don't go all the way down when I do wide grip pullups.

Not really..it's never caused me any pain or anything. A lot of people do what you do -- go just barely before lockout and never do a full deadhang -- and it works just fine with them.

When I do wide grip(hands all the way out) I tend not to do a dead hang but that's mainly because I can't do as many.
post #35893 of 57263
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen7908 View Post

Any thoughts on my new deadlift style btw tk?

Do you bother with trying to feel the muscles contract on dl/squat or do you just try to go heavy/hard effort?

I've literally never critiqued someone else's form ITT and I'm not about to start now.

On compounds I go for heavy/hard. On assistance work I do more mind/muscle stuff.
post #35894 of 57263
On the last leg of this diet.

About 5 weeks in, lost 14 pounds.

Then lost 4 pounds yesterday and today.

Only about 8 more pounds to go in the next ~4 days and then I can eat about 10k calories in the next 24 hours, go compete, and then go back on my normal 5k calories diet consisting of fried chicken, pizza, burgers, and chinese food. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #35895 of 57263
Realized the week I'm in Philly will be the official last week on my bulk before epic contest cut. Charly show me to eat like a real man. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts