or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2369

post #35521 of 57262

Update on HK poverty uni gym and The Lost Barbell:

 

A new barbell has found it's way to the gym. Turned out a ton of international students (basically all American guys) had raged when it suddenly disappeared and mail-bombed the ones responsible for the sports equipment on campus telling them how "there's a lot of serious athletes training for their sports on campus, for which they need a barbell", lol.

 

Anyway, it's not the same old, rusty and dangerous barbell (the weights would slide sideways over the old one since the "whatever the round thing is called" was loose). The new barbell is actually really nice. Shiny, a bit thicker than the old one and with a good weight. I even weighted it to make sure it wasn't some weird Asian version. 18.8 kg. Close enough to 20 kg for me. The staff proudly announced that it was ordered from overseas

 

Btw, I think I've become accustomed to squatting in the incline bench rack. On last weeks squat day, I squatted in a power rack in this other gym in the city. Standard rack with good height and all. Loaded it with 5 pounds over my previous 5RM. Got stuck in the hole at the second rep. This week, I didn't have time to go to that gym and I figured I'd try squatting with the new barbell. Got a triple with the same weight with ease. 

 

the only "problem" with squatting in the incline rack, aside from the safety aspect, is that the bar sits very low (around my upper abs). Although this has me half squatting the weight out, it gets my upper back super tight. That probably has something to do with being able to squat more. Then again, the bars could just vary in weight.

post #35522 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

the "whatever the round thing is called" was loose

sleeve
Quote:
the only "problem" with squatting in the incline rack, aside from the safety aspect, is that the bar sits very low (around my upper abs). Although this has me half squatting the weight out, it gets my upper back super tight. That probably has something to do with being able to squat more. Then again, the bars could just vary in weight.

The safety is a big enough concern that I wouldn't do it, unless you can comfortably good morning what you squat I suppose. At least you got a barbell back. Perhaps you should arrange another barrage of mails requesting a power rack? smile.gif
post #35523 of 57262
Do you guys ever have a struggle between getting bigger from lifting weights and wearing fashionable clothes?

It's very possible to be aesthetic/bigger and look good in clothes, especially in respect to the upper body (tees, henleys, cutoffs look much better if you lift) but my struggles are usually related to suiting/button-downs and the lower body. Nowadays most fashionable jeans and dress shirts/suits are geared towards very slim builds. I'm not big by any means (5'10, 165), I'm very content with my physique and how clothes fit, but I'm always deterrred to get bigger for that reason.

If arms are too big shirts and suits get too tight in the sleeves and it looks goofy. If Quads/Hams get too big and it distorts the correct silhouette for suiting.
post #35524 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

It is the same leg as the hip groin injury was?

nope, opposite leg.
post #35525 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post

nope, opposite leg.

Ah, you got knee cancer imo. For lateral knee weakness or tightness I'd check that muscle to the right of your shin the flexes when you point your foot. Especially if you're running a lot. I'd rather dig in there with "The Stick" or just slam a lacross ball into it with my hand than use a foam roller. You might find some hellacious tightness especially as you go up into the knee cap, that can pull on your IT band and cause some dysfunction in the knee cap. That's my two cents.

I'd do this too (the first one he shows, with lacross ball between the hamstring and calf behind knee, it's pretty amazing. It will open up the capsule and also relieve any tightness in the hamstring or calf. If I ran a lot I'd do this a shit ton.
post #35526 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up View Post

Do you guys ever have a struggle between getting bigger from lifting weights and wearing fashionable clothes?It's very possible to be aesthetic/bigger and look good in clothes, especially in respect to the upper body (tees, henleys, cutoffs look much better if you lift) but my struggles are usually related to suiting/button-downs and the lower body. Nowadays most fashionable jeans and dress shirts/suits are geared towards very slim builds. I'm not big by any means (5'10, 165), I'm very content with my physique and how clothes fit, but I'm always deterrred to get bigger for that reason.If arms are too big shirts and suits get too tight in the sleeves and it looks goofy. If Quads/Hams get too big and it distorts the correct silhouette for suiting.

I have pretty much given up on fashion. I work from home so I have staple pieces I rely on. Pretty much everything I was wearing last summer doesn't fit anymore. When I do get back into clothes I will definitely try for a looser less tailored aesthetic. I have a closet full of clothes I basically can't wear anymore

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
post #35527 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post

I have pretty much given up on fashion. I work from home so I have staple pieces I rely on. Pretty much everything I was wearing last summer doesn't fit anymore. When I do get back into clothes I will definitely try for a looser less tailored aesthetic. I have a closet full of clothes I basically can't wear anymore

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I'm in the same boat. I basically wear sweatpants all the time.
post #35528 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Ah, you got knee cancer imo. For lateral knee weakness or tightness I'd check that muscle to the right of your shin the flexes when you point your foot. Especially if you're running a lot. I'd rather dig in there with "The Stick" or just slam a lacross ball into it with my hand than use a foam roller. You might find some hellacious tightness especially as you go up into the knee cap, that can pull on your IT band and cause some dysfunction in the knee cap. That's my two cents.

that's exactly the muscle that feels funky. I know my calves are hellaciously tight.

Also i was doing front squats with raised heels but in my frees which have a bit of a heel. I think i was higher-heeled than normal.
post #35529 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post


don't do this.

If you're worried about stability etc just play some sport.

 

It was recommended by my PT.  I do some pretty obvious compensation in movements like squatting because some of the stabilizer muscles are underdeveloped.  Also the exercises really help with yoga.

post #35530 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

It was recommended by my PT.  I do some pretty obvious compensation in movements like squatting because some of the stabilizer muscles are underdeveloped.  Also the exercises really help with yoga.

Well it's good that you have faith in your PT, but just about every novice-intermediate lifter has some compensation movements in the squat that can be negated by simply fighting to keep good form. The most common one is leaning forward out of the hole - usually means weak quads and can be reversed by adding in front squats or just squatting more.

Can you just do lunges on a flat surface? I don't get the bosu ball stuff.
post #35531 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post


Well it's good that you have faith in your PT, but just about every novice-intermediate lifter has some compensation movements in the squat that can be negated by simply fighting to keep good form. The most common one is leaning forward out of the hole - usually means weak quads and can be reversed by adding in front squats or just squatting more.

Can you just do lunges on a flat surface? I don't get the bosu ball stuff.

 

That would work quads etc instead of what I want.  Doing it on a wobbly surface works the stabilizer muscles, specifically the gluteus medius which is what has been causing me issues.  If you try it you'll notice that it's the side of your glutes that's getting tired, not your quads, because most of the effort is expended in keeping your chest up and not tipping over, not in the actual up/down motion. Once I can get it to the point where the muscle will fire properly during squats, I'll probably drop them.

 

It isn't just squats - there's a yoga position called half moon that I struggle with on the left side, I can't really keep my right hip vertically above the left:

post #35532 of 57262
If they're a weak point during the squats, then squats will strengthen them.

The problem I have with that type of training logic is that there's simply no way you could actually squat if any part of your glutes "wasn't firing".

The reason people tip over is because they're compensating. It's not that their glutes are weak, it's definitely their quads - their body mechanically knows that their quads/legs are weak, so the natural reaction is to tip over and utilise more lower back to grind it up. The best way to prevent this is to actively fight against it during the squat - fighting that inclination is what will help you to strengthen those weaknesses.
post #35533 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

If they're a weak point during the squats, then squats will strengthen them.

The problem I have with that type of training logic is that there's simply no way you could actually squat if any part of your glutes "wasn't firing".

The reason people tip over is because they're compensating. It's not that their glutes are weak, it's definitely their quads - their body mechanically knows that their quads/legs are weak, so the natural reaction is to tip over and utilise more lower back to grind it up. The best way to prevent this is to actively fight against it during the squat - fighting that inclination is what will help you to strengthen those weaknesses.

 

The "moar squats" chorus that comes out on training forums is sort of disingenuous.  If I do a lateral leg raise you can push my leg back down with barely any pressure, the muscle is very weak.  I haven't dropped squats, I'm doing squats in addition to supplemental work, so I don't really see the problem.  Especially since this was diagnosed by a lower back specialist and then confirmed by the PT...

post #35534 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

If they're a weak point during the squats, then squats will strengthen them.

The problem I have with that type of training logic is that there's simply no way you could actually squat if any part of your glutes "wasn't firing".

That's not true at all. People develop their own mechanics and form, muscle groups can go on mini vacations and forget how to fire correctly.
post #35535 of 57262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

That's not true at all. People develop their own mechanics and form, muscle groups can go on mini vacations and forget how to fire correctly.

Is there any actual evidence of this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts