or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 231

post #3451 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol View Post
Still high probability that many clothes you have now will not fit in the future.
Already a problem. I spent a bit altering Uniqlo oxfords in M, and now they barely fit around the chest/shoulders. Not a bad problem to have I guess, most of my shit fits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post
These days we are like house cats, mega-grocery stores like cat bowls, and modern grocery store offerings like dry kibble. It's simply too expensive and time consuming to eat healthy when compared to modern day convenience foods.
Not a fitting analogy. The dog in my avatar is mine. She does not control how much or when she eats. Plus the quality of the food is irrelevant to the obesity epidemic. Yes it leads to other health complications, but really the core of the problem is quantity. I worked with some union electric workers... the bosses were all fat. Any time we went out to eat, the fattest ones would recommend restaurants with the biggest portions. Literally if Americans did nothing but cut their consumption by ~40-50%, the obesity epidemic would start to die out overnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post
Some people are fat, some people are thin, none of which directly concerns me from a health prespective (maybe from other factors like increased healthcare costs). Maybe it's wrong for me not to care about my country's overall health, but I really could not give two shits about it. Hell, let there be more fatties and allow the fat to get fatter. Just makes me look better.
This works until you consider healthcare costs. American insurance premiums are out of control partly because we're just disorganized and stupid, but largely because we are overmedicated and addled with "fat"/poor lifestyle choice diseases. It just comes down to people making the right choices.
post #3452 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post
Some people are fat, some people are thin, none of which directly concerns me from a health prespective (maybe from other factors like increased healthcare costs).

Maybe it's wrong for me not to care about my country's overall health, but I really could not give two shits about it. Hell, let there be more fatties and allow the fat to get fatter. Just makes me look better.

National health costs aside, I don't give a shit either. My only point in the original posting was a sense of bewilderment at the seeming inability of Americans to a) choose decent food and b) put their forks down before stuffing themselves silly.
post #3453 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrH View Post
Some troll attack must be commencing on our beloved subforum, as idiotic questions and threads just keep popping up.

This x one fucking billion. The responses in those threads are horrible, too.
post #3454 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
National health costs aside, I don't give a shit either. My only point in the original posting was a sense of bewilderment at the seeming inability of Americans to a) choose decent food and b) put their forks down before stuffing themselves silly.

Yeah, basically just the portion size thing is amazing. Few people outside of those who've successfully lost some weight have any idea what constitutes, say a 500 calorie meal or something. And it is very easy to go overboard when ones diet has a high proportion of calorie-dense foodstuffs - processed carbohydrates come to mind, but that's a whole another rant.

I dare you to chomp down 3000+ calories of (lean) meats, fish, fowl and veggies in one sitting... chances are you're not going to make it, whereas consuming e.g. a deep-dish pizza with similar caloric content is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy easier.
post #3455 of 57256
I want to expand my overall fitness--I'm sick of just looking good and being good at lifting heavy things. Considering joining up at NYSC so I can go to their "conditioning" classes. "Total Body Conditioning This workout uses weights and/or bodybars to promote muscular endurance, flexibility and body alignment." I know it sounds like soccer mom/fat middle aged dude bullshit but the usage of weights makes me hopeful that I could up the weights and keep progressing. Anyone have any experience? It would mean signing up for a year at NYSC, which would be a step down from my current gym (a bodybuilders gym) but it wouldn't be any more expensive. It's also right near where I work so it's more convenient. What do you guys think?
post #3456 of 57256
buy some kettlebells instead
post #3457 of 57256
Some of my lifting buddies started brazilian jiu jitsu, which from what I hear works wonders for conditioning and increasing proprioception.
post #3458 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid View Post
Not a fitting analogy. The dog in my avatar is mine. She does not control how much or when she eats. Plus the quality of the food is irrelevant to the obesity epidemic. Yes it leads to other health complications, but really the core of the problem is quantity. I worked with some union electric workers... the bosses were all fat. Any time we went out to eat, the fattest ones would recommend restaurants with the biggest portions. Literally if Americans did nothing but cut their consumption by ~40-50%, the obesity epidemic would start to die out overnight.
I think the analogy does fit, while it is obviously an exaggeration, much like your dog, what we eat is pretty much forced on us via cost- and while quality does matter, it's the ingredients in these cheap foods that make us fat (i.e. carbs). Also, I would argue that portion sizes are not making anyone fat, it's the contents AND portion sizes in tandem.
post #3459 of 57256
GN- buy + commute on a bike. Truthfully if I didn't love my guns and wings I would just do that, easiest way to get legitimately fit in a short period of time. shibbel- for food quality I def agree that cost is prohibitive. But maybe we will just have to agree to disagree on the portions deal. IME you want to lose weight, you simply eat less. You don't necessarily have to change what you eat, outside of maybe switching to foods that are more filling to make the process psychologically easier. Likewise you want to gain weight you eat more. The avg American eats too much, so cost is not a factor. They could spend the same amount on a lower quantity of quality food, and get better nutrition and a healthier weight. Plus it's not like halfway decent food is impossible to find. All grocery stores have relatively fresh vegetables, fruits and meat, along with whole grain breads and pastas. Crown Heights, Fort Lauderdale, whatever. People just have to control themselves and make better nutritional decisions within the resources they have. As dude said, even some poor people are fat, so the cost aspect of food is moot as far as the obesity aspect goes. Nutrition is a whole other issue.
post #3460 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post
I want to expand my overall fitness--I'm sick of just looking good and being good at lifting heavy things. Considering joining up at NYSC so I can go to their "conditioning" classes.

"Total Body Conditioning
This workout uses weights and/or bodybars to promote muscular endurance, flexibility and body alignment."

I know it sounds like soccer mom/fat middle aged dude bullshit but the usage of weights makes me hopeful that I could up the weights and keep progressing.

Anyone have any experience? It would mean signing up for a year at NYSC, which would be a step down from my current gym (a bodybuilders gym) but it wouldn't be any more expensive. It's also right near where I work so it's more convenient.

What do you guys think?

I've got a better idea. Just put $25 down on a copy of Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity. The conditioning routines in the book, plus cardio, will get you in shape. I don't think you'll run out fo ideas or workouts with Ross' book.
post #3461 of 57256
that is exactly the type of suggestion i've been looking for.
post #3462 of 57256
Worked out through the flu today. Does not feel good.
post #3463 of 57256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo View Post
Worked out through the flu today. Does not feel good.

+1 on this. gimped shoulder, gimped leg, and now the flu. Entire body feels like it's been sacked. Going on two weeks out of the gym now...
post #3464 of 57256
I caught it two days ago. Throat hurts like shit and nose is running like a faucet. I facking hate being sick.
post #3465 of 57256
I feel stupid asking, but for deadlift form, what do people mean by "don't round or flatten your back"? Like, don't round it up near middle/top like a pissed off cat? How the hell do you flatten your back?? Also, do you lock your arms or knees at any point?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts