or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2259

post #33871 of 49380
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Knucks didn't work out for awhile and lost weight I guess. He's been back for two weeks or so and squatting about 400 and deadlifting well over that. Not bad for someone 169.
No, 240 is usually where my warmup stopped today. When I deload I just do warmups and leave, and for someone who's done 5/3/1 for 4 years you should know this..

Oh, ok. Because it sounded like you were hitting 240 for 10. What is your actual squat?
post #33872 of 49380

^Interested in Coldsnap's squat too; well done dude! 80lbs in 8 weeks is insane!:slayer:

Lu missed his 211 Clean and Jerk WR attempt at nationals..... :(

post #33873 of 49380
well he has plenty of experience missing 211 so its cool
post #33874 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

I also feel that flyes are the best chest builders, how do you feel about the pec deck for accessory work?

Interesting about neglecting mind muscle connection for bench and just trying to move weight.

I don't like them nearly as much, and here's why:

With dumbbell flyes I'm able to set up exactly the same way as I do for bench. I can get a solid base on the ground, fire glutes and quads, have a reasonable arch in my back, and really crank the weight. With pec dec you can kinda do the same thing, but not nearly as well. The end result is a heavier fly and better carry-over to bench press.

Occasionally I end my work-out with a single heavy drop-set on pec-deck, but I doubt it does much more than give a bit of a pump.
post #33875 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

I don't like them nearly as much, and here's why:

With dumbbell flyes I'm able to set up exactly the same way as I do for bench. I can get a solid base on the ground, fire glutes and quads, have a reasonable arch in my back, and really crank the weight. With pec dec you can kinda do the same thing, but not nearly as well. The end result is a heavier fly and better carry-over to bench press.

Occasionally I end my work-out with a single heavy drop-set on pec-deck, but I doubt it does much more than give a bit of a pump.

If you think db flies have a better carry over than pec decks to bench because of technique or form, you are incorrect.
post #33876 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Oh, ok. Because it sounded like you were hitting 240 for 10. What is your actual squat?

Not really sure. Haven't peaked yet for the meet and been doing reps of 5-10. Somewhere in the mid 300s. I'll know better once I start walking out some heavier weights.
post #33877 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

Not really sure. Haven't peaked yet for the meet and been doing reps of 5-10. Somewhere in the mid 300s. I'll know better once I start walking out some heavier weights.

How close are you to your meet?
post #33878 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

How close are you to your meet?

9 weeks. 8 Solid weeks of training then. Not really sure how I plan to peak of if I'm going to. I might just keep the worksets going and just open with whatever I did for 3 x 5 the previous week in all lifts then just have some fun from there.
post #33879 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

9 weeks. 8 Solid weeks of training then. Not really sure how I plan to peak of if I'm going to. I might just keep the worksets going and just open with whatever I did for 3 x 5 the previous week in all lifts then just have some fun from there.

Train how you want for the next 3 weeks.

Then at 6 weeks out start a bit of an overload cycle..

Week 6 - 2x4
Week 5 - 2x3
Week 4 - 2x2
Week 3 - 2x1 (opener)
Week 2 - 1x1 (second attempt number)
Week 1 - rest
post #33880 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

Train how you want for the next 3 weeks.

Then at 6 weeks out start a bit of an overload cycle..

Week 6 - 2x4
Week 5 - 2x3
Week 4 - 2x2
Week 3 - 2x1 (opener)
Week 2 - 1x1 (second attempt number)
Week 1 - rest

Gotcha, makes sense to me.
post #33881 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

If you think db flies have a better carry over than pec decks to bench because of technique or form, you are incorrect.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I've gotten better carry over from flyes. Not trying to make broad generalizations.
post #33882 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

I don't like them nearly as much, and here's why:

With dumbbell flyes I'm able to set up exactly the same way as I do for bench. I can get a solid base on the ground, fire glutes and quads, have a reasonable arch in my back, and really crank the weight. With pec dec you can kinda do the same thing, but not nearly as well. The end result is a heavier fly and better carry-over to bench press.

Occasionally I end my work-out with a single heavy drop-set on pec-deck, but I doubt it does much more than give a bit of a pump.

Do you do them on a flat or incline/decline?

Also how much stock do you guys put into muscle memory, if I haven't trained in about 8 days how quickly can I expect to get back to my former strength?
post #33883 of 49380
8 days isn't that long, you should be back to normal after 1 or 2 sessions.
post #33884 of 49380
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

9 weeks. 8 Solid weeks of training then. Not really sure how I plan to peak of if I'm going to. I might just keep the worksets going and just open with whatever I did for 3 x 5 the previous week in all lifts then just have some fun from there.

Cool, be sure to take vids of all your lifts at the meet, I'm sure it's going to be sick.
post #33885 of 49380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Do you do them on a flat or incline/decline?

Also how much stock do you guys put into muscle memory, if I haven't trained in about 8 days how quickly can I expect to get back to my former strength?

For a week I keep going like I never took off. The extra suffering you have to go through is your punishment for being lazy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts