or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2219

post #33271 of 49028
You forgot to tell us how much you squatted.
post #33272 of 49028
More than you :P. I'm done giving training #s online, I've realized most people lie and it pressures me to lie. Because their way more people online who say and appear strong but there's less people in the gym that are actually that strong. Which is one of the reason I want to compete because there are rules to how you have to lift and it gives a honest ground to compare.
post #33273 of 49028
No reason to lie about numbers. Why do you give a fuck if some dude over the internet thinks you're weak? Only reason to lie is if you have some massive insecurities.
post #33274 of 49028
I'm just being salty. Mostly because the dude giving me shit keeps saying how he squatted 600lbs so I need to listen to him, but I bet it was a foot high from depth.
post #33275 of 49028
i think the low bar squat is suppose to put less stress on your lower back.
post #33276 of 49028
speaking of celebrities... DJGLEL?





Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Jeans feeling a bit tight... not sure if I'm getting quads or just getting fat smile.gif Will be screwed once I actually do get bigger legs since I pretty much only wear slim jeans every day.

i bought some shorts about 2 months ago, they were pretty comfy. now i can't button them up and my legs are too thick for the hem. a good feel. im sad cuz my favourite pair of rrls doesn't fit anymore either frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus646 View Post

Was rough until I found what worked for me. Maybe 6-8 months? I really don't remember, would have to check my logs. Bench was always rough for me though.

Putting on weight and benching more was easily one of the best tips I followed. Never had a coach or a partner so learning by yourself is definitely slower. Hopefully John can help you get there icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif Spring seems reasonable.

not training with john anymore... i have most recently trained with dan of lucharilla.com. i've put together a mishmash of their ideas and its been working really well for me. i don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but i feel like i have the tools to get me close to 400/300/500. are you planning on competing?
post #33277 of 49028
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoffice View Post

i think the low bar squat is suppose to put less stress on your lower back.

It does, which is funny.
post #33278 of 49028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

It does, which is funny.


How? If you're squatting high bar properly and keeping your back straight up you should only have compressive stress going through your spine. If you are squatting low bar, and sitting back you're going to have a bending force focused around your lower back. Low bar definitely puts more strain on your lower back.
post #33279 of 49028
If your lumbar is properly set its compression too. I see your point but the lunar and thoracic spine should never shear during the low bar squat, it should be compression as well. Even in deadlifts if you set properly there should be no shearing.

I guess its safer to say that high bar might be safer for a beginner but I'll take the risk instead of dealing with the knees traveling too far out in the high bar squat.

I do front squat and high bar squat after my normal squats once a week tho
post #33280 of 49028
Regardless of how well you set your back so long as you have any forward lean there's going to be more force on your lower back then there would be with no forward lean. Just because you've set your back so that it isn't flexing under the stress doesn't mean that the stress isn't there.
post #33281 of 49028
Can't argue against that, you're right. But if you resist flexion throughout the movement the shearing force will be there but your back will be strong enough to stay in a neutral position.
post #33282 of 49028
I'm sure a rounded back deadlifter could dispute that though. Although when I see someone go from neutral to flexion that's just plain wrong it seems.
post #33283 of 49028
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

not training with john anymore... i have most recently trained with dan of lucharilla.com. i've put together a mishmash of their ideas and its been working really well for me. i don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but i feel like i have the tools to get me close to 400/300/500. are you planning on competing?

Oh nice, I read some of his stuff and he looks like a good coach. How did it go?
post #33284 of 49028
Dumbbell pullovers, are they more of a back or chest exercise?
post #33285 of 49028

Speaking of people lying about their lifts.....today a guy asked to work in with me and a friend on bench press; looks around same size/strength as us.....proceeds to add 2 10kg plates to what we where getting for 5 reps barely. I think 'ok' maybe he's strong, gets into average Joe bench-press position (no arch etc.) again I think 'oh well.'

Proceeds to unrack and brings the bar down around his neck in an unbalanced motion up in an unbalanced motion, goes for 2nd rep...drops.

I can tell you me and my friend where sweating a river at this point, he finishes and says 'Been training for the last 3 hours, what else did I expect'; I saw him walk in not 15 mins ago.........

No idea how scary it was thinking that men willingly put themselves in such dangerous situation just to 'show off.'

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts