or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2171

post #32551 of 57260
Yeah that would make more sense. 48" chest is legit massive.


For hook grip instead of having your thumb outside your fist you wrap your thumb under the bar first then close your first around your thumb. Hurts like fuck, outside of olympic lifting I never see anyone really use it.
post #32552 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekunk07 View Post

ill bet half this forum has had plenty of 300lb snatch.

How nice of you to join us.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

Yeah that would make more sense. 48" chest is legit massive.

48" chest member, checking in!
post #32553 of 57260
coldsnap what even are your training goals.
post #32554 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post

For hook grip instead of having your thumb outside your fist you wrap your thumb under the bar first then close your first around your thumb. Hurts like fuck, outside of olympic lifting I never see anyone really use it.

Some powerlifters use it for deadlifts

I am now one of those haha
post #32555 of 57260
Hmmm really just strength and mobility. I'd like to post over 1,000 total next year without killing myself.
post #32556 of 57260
But I'm training for a meet in November right now. So I guess my immediate goals are to ride out this LP until a month before meet then start doing singles and tripples. Then I'll know where my #s are
post #32557 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

I held squat at 45lb for a long time trying to nail form due to poor flexibility, but I coldn't hit depth. I can just barely break parallel now, get a sharp pain right in the hip joint on right side when I try to go lower... not sure what that indicates.

I imagine that Coldsnap will hate me for this, but I suggest you increase the weight and see if it it pushes you further down in depth. My mobility is pretty shit. With just the bar I can't hit proper depth - although I'm slowly getting closer to it. But loading a couple of plates I'm hitting a good depth. Ideally I wouldn't need the extra weight to hit that depth, but I figure that that the weight should be stretching the inflexible areas anyway so it's only going to help.

This is basically all I've been doing for lower body mobility. Simple, and it covers all the possible areas of inflexibility:
post #32558 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

Why not? Steroid use is illegal. So how is that not a fair comparison? Oh, you mean just fess up to doing that one illegal thing? Just that one.

I meant it in the sense that people don't have to admit literally every single illegal thing they've done. Fraudulently misrepresenting themselves as "clean" lifters in an organized, regulated, competitive sport with stringent anti-doping rules? Yes, "just that one." People don't have to go shouting from the rooftops about how they cheated on their taxes, sped down the freeway or punched some asshole at the bar. Passing themselves off as drug-free when they are not drug-free is a big fucking deal when we're talking about competitive sports, world records, financial endorsements, etc. There's a pretty good reason Armstrong's sponsors are asking for their sponsorship money back - because he's a fucking cheat. If some gymrat wants to juice to alpha on the kids in his weightroom, fine. If some guy wants to participate as a "drug free" lifter in a regulated environment where being drug free is a requirement to participate, he should be drug free. If he doesn't want to admit that, then he's a fucking pussy ass bitch. If they don't want to lose their endorsements, they shouldn't have juiced in the first place.
Quote:
Above, you say it's not a fair comparison to make.. but then you make the comparison anyways haha. I'm not saying it's the fed's fault for PED use. I said people will keep using because most testing sucks dick.

Just because testing is bad and they can get away with it doesn't make it any more or less acceptable. Outside of the little misunderstanding on the example, who cares if its not the banks fault? Is it still OK to rob a bank because they didn't do enough to prevent it? No, because robbing a bank makes you a shitstain; just like passing yourself off as "drug free" when you are certainly not "drug free" in order to a)win a competition or b) keep financial sponsorships is fraud.
Quote:
All this is moot because in the end, I'm saying PEDs should be a part of sports at the professional level. It allows athletes to perform at their peak. (And any levels lower than that if you want.) I don't consider it cheating and I think it should be legal.

Too bad virtually every sporting body in the world disagrees with you. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to apply your own standard of ethics to an established organization or federation that explicitly states being drug-free is a requirement for participation. I certainly appreciate the point of view and absolutely agree that for absolute max athletic potential, PEDs can/should be used. The issue is when they're used in an environment that forbids their use. If people want to start up a fed or organization where everyone can juice like fuck, then go for it. Everyone gets the same cycle, dose, PCT, whatever. They can also have their world records marked with an asterisk to indicate that PEDs were in use.
Quote:
If you want to consider that cheating, why not any other drugs? Allergy meds? Anti-inflammatories? If my knee starts aching I can't nearly squat as much if I don't pop 4 advils before squat. Does that make me a "cheater"?

I consider it cheating because juicing in an organization that forbids juicing is the literal definition of cheating. If your fed doesn't ban advil, then no, you're not a cheater. If your fed did ban advil, then yes, you are.

Outside of the very obvious rule-breaking nature of cheating, the whole slippery slope of substances is a silly way to justify things. By that reasoning, we should legalize crack, ecstasy, and heroin because hell, alcohol is legal. All are drugs and all provide a high/low, so why the hell not? Different drugs have different effects; not all effects are equal. It's ridiculous to think that popping some advil for your knee is even in the same league as something that increases strength and LBM gains by allowing for increased training frequency and intensity. This is a giant stretch and is a poor way of justifying PED use.

I will certainly admit that there is a giant gray area in terms of what a PED is and how its difficult to decide what to enforce and how. That does not diminish the fact that there is a very large fucking difference between advil, caffeine, and juicing and its foolish to say there isn't.
Quote:
This next part isn't to support the last part of my argument but..


Boohoo.. Ed and Kirk are cheaters. Wahhhhhhhhh~

I get that powerlifting is full of chest-thumping fuck-your-shit-you-pussy-ass-bitch levels of bravado - especially when talking about a guy like Captain Kirk - but really? I find it curious that someone who was so offended over the idea of a training partner going back on his word and not training with you on a certain day would be completely fine with someone fraudulently misrepresenting themselves a drug-free lifter while competing in a drug-free environment. I don't know enough about the scene or any of the particular lifters involved if this was the case... it just seems like a strange dichotomy.
post #32559 of 57260
I think part of the reason I disagree with you Americans on this is that steroid use is not illegal here.

Also, it's nowhere near as prevalent in our sports here as it is in the USA. Our penalties for drug use in sport are much harsher than what you have. By the rules of most sports here it is cheating, and that's simply not tolerated.

Personally, I couldn't believe it when I saw that Rodriguez wasn't given a life ban. Utterly ridiculous. Likewise, the 4 game bans in the NFL. What a joke. Why even bother with those bans? It's just so weird. They should either completely legalise it, or ban those players for life an properly clean up the league.
post #32560 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

I meant it in the sense that people don't have to admit literally every single illegal thing they've done. Fraudulently misrepresenting themselves as "clean" lifters in an organized, regulated, competitive sport with stringent anti-doping rules? Yes, "just that one." People don't have to go shouting from the rooftops about how they cheated on their taxes, sped down the freeway or punched some asshole at the bar. Passing themselves off as drug-free when they are not drug-free is a big fucking deal when we're talking about competitive sports, world records, financial endorsements, etc. There's a pretty good reason Armstrong's sponsors are asking for their sponsorship money back - because he's a fucking cheat. If some gymrat wants to juice to alpha on the kids in his weightroom, fine. If some guy wants to participate as a "drug free" lifter in a regulated environment where being drug free is a requirement to participate, he should be drug free. If he doesn't want to admit that, then he's a fucking pussy ass bitch. If they don't want to lose their endorsements, they shouldn't have juiced in the first place.

They don't have to admit everything illegal they're done... except that? Why? If you want them to fess up about one illegal thing, then why not the other stuff?

"Fraudulently misrepresenting themselves as "clean" lifters in an organized, regulated, competitive sport with stringent anti-doping rules? Yes."

If you think THAT is more important and worthy of bringing to light than cheating on your taxes, speeding, or assault.. I'm not even going to have this discussion. You need to think some more on this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

Just because testing is bad and they can get away with it doesn't make it any more or less acceptable. Outside of the little misunderstanding on the example, who cares if its not the banks fault? Is it still OK to rob a bank because they didn't do enough to prevent it? No, because robbing a bank makes you a shitstain; just like passing yourself off as "drug free" when you are certainly not "drug free" in order to a)win a competition or b) keep financial sponsorships is fraud.

Once again, look above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

Too bad virtually every sporting body in the world disagrees with you. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to apply your own standard of ethics to an established organization or federation that explicitly states being drug-free is a requirement for participation. I certainly appreciate the point of view and absolutely agree that for absolute max athletic potential, PEDs can/should be used. The issue is when they're used in an environment that forbids their use. If people want to start up a fed or organization where everyone can juice like fuck, then go for it. Everyone gets the same cycle, dose, PCT, whatever. They can also have their world records marked with an asterisk to indicate that PEDs were in use.

Oh, you didn't want my opinion on it? Even though you are spewing yours left and right? haha

If the NFL and MLB REALLY didn't want their athletes taking anything, they would have more stringent testing. They could easily afford mandatory testing of athletes often enough so that they really can't cycle anything in.

PEDs make the athletes perform fresher and raises their potential, thus making the leagues more money. You're really gullible if you think they want to get rid of PEDs in their sport.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

I consider it cheating because juicing in an organization that forbids juicing is the literal definition of cheating. If your fed doesn't ban advil, then no, you're not a cheater. If your fed did ban advil, then yes, you are.

Outside of the very obvious rule-breaking nature of cheating, the whole slippery slope of substances is a silly way to justify things. By that reasoning, we should legalize crack, ecstasy, and heroin because hell, alcohol is legal. All are drugs and all provide a high/low, so why the hell not? Different drugs have different effects; not all effects are equal. It's ridiculous to think that popping some advil for your knee is even in the same league as something that increases strength and LBM gains by allowing for increased training frequency and intensity. This is a giant stretch and is a poor way of justifying PED use.

I will certainly admit that there is a giant gray area in terms of what a PED is and how its difficult to decide what to enforce and how. That does not diminish the fact that there is a very large fucking difference between advil, caffeine, and juicing and its foolish to say there isn't.

You can all it whatever you want. Look above.

Drugs that help you perform better, take away pain, etc = Drugs that are extremely detrimental to the human body and ruin communities.. YEA OKAY SAME THING lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

I get that powerlifting is full of chest-thumping fuck-your-shit-you-pussy-ass-bitch levels of bravado - especially when talking about a guy like Captain Kirk - but really? I find it curious that someone who was so offended over the idea of a training partner going back on his word and not training with you on a certain day would be completely fine with someone fraudulently misrepresenting themselves a drug-free lifter while competing in a drug-free environment. I don't know enough about the scene or any of the particular lifters involved if this was the case... it just seems like a strange dichotomy.

If you really think that's what powerlifting is.. you don't know it at all.
post #32561 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

I think part of the reason I disagree with you Americans on this is that steroid use is not illegal here.

Also, it's nowhere near as prevalent in our sports here as it is in the USA. Our penalties for drug use in sport are much harsher than what you have. By the rules of most sports here it is cheating, and that's simply not tolerated.

Personally, I couldn't believe it when I saw that Rodriguez wasn't given a life ban. Utterly ridiculous. Likewise, the 4 game bans in the NFL. What a joke. Why even bother with those bans? It's just so weird. They should either completely legalise it, or ban those players for life an properly clean up the league.

Exactly.

If they REALLY wanted to get rid of it in their league, ban anyone that tests positive for life and really have testing that makes it impossible to cheat.

If not, just let players do what they've been doing.
post #32562 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

Thanks. Filling out pretty nicely now from the calorie surplus and I don't seem to get any fatter at all while I've consistently added more cals. Will up even further as the progress is a bit slow on some lifts. Will upload some progress pics soon.


Definitely post some progress picture, awesome that you could make that kind of progress.


Looking at pictures of myself before I started lifting, there is a pretty huge difference, a part of me still says nope, you look the same. Do you even body dysmorphia bro?
post #32563 of 57260
TBH I think this thread brings out the best and worst of people.

It's nice to have liked minded people as well as those who motivate and push you in this specific sport called weight lifting, but in the you should really figure out how to beat yourself and better your lifts, your physique for your self and not be down about it because you do not live up to others expectations.
post #32564 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

TBH I think this thread brings out the best and worst of people.

It's nice to have liked minded people as well as those who motivate and push you in this specific sport called weight lifting, but in the you should really figure out how to beat yourself and better your lifts, your physique for your self and not be down about it because you do not live up to others expectations.

+1 I find that not comparing yourself to anyone helps a lot and just being happy with progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Definitely post some progress picture, awesome that you could make that kind of progress.


Looking at pictures of myself before I started lifting, there is a pretty huge difference, a part of me still says nope, you look the same. Do you even body dysmorphia bro?

I think there's a noticeable difference. At least in the little pictures I've seen.
post #32565 of 57260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Looking at pictures of myself before I started lifting, there is a pretty huge difference, a part of me still says nope, you look the same. Do you even body dysmorphia bro?

A lot of guys that lift think that.

I still think I look like a little bitch tbh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts