or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 2149

post #32221 of 57266
Don't have a leg extension machine, want stuff I can do in my home setup. Will research front squats, seen them but not exactly sure how to do them properly.
post #32222 of 57266
Breaking at knees I find is completely up to you; as long as you still get the knees out and don't sit back very far in a high bar you will be fine (opposite for lowbar). Though as Hendrix said 60% of the time every time, breaking at the knees is best for ATGish high bar.
post #32223 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Charlie what's your opinion on my squat?

You need to open up your hips/knees more. Also, sit back more.
post #32224 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadowen View Post

I have the same issue. It's tough to fix.

It really is. It's a curse I have from olympic lifting. I've improved a lot over 10 months or so but damn is it slow. I guess I'll add scap pushups every day and these front squat shrugs 2x a week that he showed me.
post #32225 of 57266
PLW finally fixed the ranking system mix up.

Look whose #26 in the country for 198's raw w/ wraps.

I'm confident I'll hit at least a 1600 in November. But I'm aiming for 1650-1675.

So I should be anywhere form #3-11 in the country depending on if anyone else hits numbers within that range.

Garrett Griffin is going to compete in a couple weeks and will probably hit a 1700+.


(I blurred out some info because the info is paid for via a membership)


post #32226 of 57266
damn that's awesome!
post #32227 of 57266
Damn bro. Congratulations
post #32228 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post


It really is. It's a curse I have from olympic lifting. I've improved a lot over 10 months or so but damn is it slow. I guess I'll add scap pushups every day and these front squat shrugs 2x a week that he showed me.

 

I'm also told that overactive upper traps correlate with weaker than they ought to be lats, so things like bodyrows should be good if you can make sure it's your lats firing and not just your traps.

post #32229 of 57266
gratz Charly
post #32230 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

damn that's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Damn bro. Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus646 View Post

gratz Charly

Thanks dudes.

I also have the #23 squat in the country. Looking to move that up to at least #5 in November.
post #32231 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadowen View Post

I'm also told that overactive upper traps correlate with weaker than they ought to be lats, so things like bodyrows should be good if you can make sure it's your lats firing and not just your traps.

Yea, that makes sense. I need to work on my lats too, like you said my traps fire like crazy when I do bent over rows.
post #32232 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Don't have a leg extension machine, want stuff I can do in my home setup. Will research front squats, seen them but not exactly sure how to do them properly.

I absolutely LOVE front squats, especially the bail out motion if you need to do it. I find them super rewarding and one of the handful of lifts where I see fireworks after a hard sess. Since I've switched to 5/3/1 during this cut I've used front squat on squat day as an accessory because I missed it so much doing SS.

Sidenote, that I discussed with my good friends and I guess should have been obvious to me. I went from squatting 3x a week to 1x a week and I'm CRAZY sore. Soreness on par to the first time you try to squat correctly type of sore. Kinda feels good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
PLW finally fixed the ranking system mix up.

Look whose #26 in the country for 198's raw w/ wraps.

I'm confident I'll hit at least a 1600 in November. But I'm aiming for 1650-1675.

So I should be anywhere form #3-11 in the country depending on if anyone else hits numbers within that range.

Garrett Griffin is going to compete in a couple weeks and will probably hit a 1700+.


(I blurred out some info because the info is paid for via a membership)



Congrats man! That's huge! Seeing stuff like this is very inspiring
post #32233 of 57266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerprawn View Post

Sidenote, that I discussed with my good friends and I guess should have been obvious to me. I went from squatting 3x a week to 1x a week and I'm CRAZY sore. Soreness on par to the first time you try to squat correctly type of sore. Kinda feels good.

Funny how that works. I went from 5/3/1 to a SS like program, so went from squatting 1x a week to 2x a week and my legs have been crazy sore.
post #32234 of 57266
Thread Starter 
Did 225 for 10 reps today, thought that weight would be fine but my hip has been not happy at all about it :/
post #32235 of 57266
Long time lurker

Wasn't planning on going for DL PR but after warming up, decided to give it a try. Hit 405 at the end of May. Worked up to 405 without too much effort. Then went for 435. Got the bar just above my knees and lost my grip. Pissed off since I knew I wouldn't break the ground at that weight again. Dropped down to 420 just so I could say I got a PR but couldn't get it off the ground.

Feelsbadman

FWIW, I should've expected this with the summer I've had: week-long conference, in-law visits, and a beach trip. Looking forward to school starting so I can get back to a regular schedule.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts