Originally Posted by TKJTG
Recipe for bulking:
1. 1g protein per pound - no more, no less
2. Eat high carbs and moderate fats to fill out rest of calories
3. Lift heavy
4. Gain about 1lb/week
The secret is that most people think the most important macro for weight gain/loss is protein -- it isn't. It's carbs. Protein is simple...eat 1g protein per pound a day every day for the rest of your life and you never need to worry about it again. The amount of carbs you're taking in is MUCH more important when it comes to gaining and losing weight.
1. I say 1.5g per pound. Works better for most folks in my experience.
2. Yep, agreed.
3. Yes, but not the only way. To be completely honest, more volume works better for growth/body weight gain in my experience. Weight is still heavy but on my main movements I'm using a weight I can pump out 3x10 with instead of a weight I use to pump out 2x3.
4. Would be nice. There's not real set number. Depends on your height and how much you weigh already.