or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 1954

post #29296 of 46067
Only thing stretching has ever been shown to do is increase the length of your time at the gym.
post #29297 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post


But if they have the mobility to perform the lifts that their program specifies then why is doing extra mobility work "taking care of themselves"?

I may be wrong here, but I think Coldsnap is referring to "bro-y" workouts full of curls and presses with no real squatting, deadlifting or benching with proper technique. In that case, those guys would benefit from learning the lifts correctly by better mobility. This in turn would get them faster progress in general for faster gains.

post #29298 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

But if they have the mobility to perform the lifts that their program specifies then why is doing extra mobility work "taking care of themselves"?

It's just regular maintenance. Just because a car can run fine today doesn't mean it won't break down tomorrow. I'm saying mobilize here, not static stretching. I could see an argument against static stretching but anything against mobilizing is preposterous.
post #29299 of 46067
Doing a warm up set or two = mobilizing
Doing exercises with full ROM = mobilizing

Spending half an hour doing stretches and foam rolling shit is all cute and fun but its probably a waste of time. It's okay, we all waste time at the gym in some way or another. I do it by chilling in the steam room, talking to bros, or pretending to cycle so I can watch the cardio bunnies on the elliptical. You do it by spending half an hour contorting your body.
post #29300 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

Only thing stretching has ever been shown to do is increase the length of your time at the gym.

Static stretching sure, but mobilization your on dust!!
post #29301 of 46067
Unless everyone lives with perfect posture and can hold a balls-on-the-floor squat stretch with no butt wink and their back in the proper position then they shouldn't speak ill of mobility work.

Ime deep massage, soft tissue work and more recently foam rolling have probably made the biggest difference for me in terms of treating and preventing injury, as well as increasing mobility and ROM for full body movements. This is hefty confirmation bias on my end, but I sincerely believe people decrying mobility and soft tissue work simply don't know beneficial it can be for them.

I think its important to look at the context and make sure we're all talking about the same things. There's a big difference between someone doing static squat stretches to improve ROM or foam rolling out a trigger point and someone mindlessly doing a bunch of purposeless static stretches because the poster on the gym wall said so.

TK, I really think you should get a few sessions of deep tissue massage done by a good RMT before you bash all things mobility related.
post #29302 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnap View Post

It's just regular maintenance. Just because a car can run fine today doesn't mean it won't break down tomorrow. I'm saying mobilize here, not static stretching. I could see an argument against static stretching but anything against mobilizing is preposterous.


the human body is not a car though.

I still don't see how mobility work does anything but increase mobility. That's a good thing if you need the mobility, but it's unnecessary if you don't.

I say this as someone who has a lot of work to do to increase mobility so that I can do a proper overhead squat. But once I get to that point, I would suggest that the simple act of actually overhead squatting will be enough to maintain the mobility required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

This.
I don't believe anyone is able to perform a full back squat with great form prior to doing any mobility work, unless they've been training seriously since childhood to keep up the range of movement. Sure, your form will get better eventually if you just lift the weights but the risk of injuring yourself is real as you start to push weights near your current level if you're not comfortable in that motion.

I mean, how many times have any of you guys seen a non-professonal / not super serious amateur perform a perfect, deep squat with decent weight?
Sadly, the truth is that everyday life today really decreases your ability to move correctly and at some point you should address is if you want to progress. Both me and Coldnap saw problems and have fixed ourself and I believe our lifting has benefitted from it a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptionist View Post

I may be wrong here, but I think Coldsnap is referring to "bro-y" workouts full of curls and presses with no real squatting, deadlifting or benching with proper technique. In that case, those guys would benefit from learning the lifts correctly by better mobility. This in turn would get them faster progress in general for faster gains.

I'm only talking about people who have the ability to perform proper exercises and do them properly.

And yes, I do think a low bar powerlifting backsquat is a proper exercise and I don't think you need very much mobility to perform it properly, but that's besides the point. (deadlift too, you don't really need much mobility work to do a deadlift properly)

The point is that you do mobility work for mobility. Not for anything else.
post #29303 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

Unless everyone lives with perfect posture and can hold a balls-on-the-floor squat stretch with no butt wink and their back in the proper position then they shouldn't speak ill of mobility work.

I'm not saying I can do this and I'm not speaking ill of mobility work - I think it's great...for increasing mobility. And that's what I'll use it for.

When I can do a proper overhead squat with perfect form it's going out the window.
post #29304 of 46067
Yes, except mobility and ROM are not mutually exclusive. Ensuring you have proper mobility is just as much about being able to maintain proper posture at a desk job without ***internal rotation*** as it is about lifting properly.

Not to mention to injury prevention and rehab benefits. Get some actual deep tissue work done or learn enough to do it properly and consistently.. You might be surprised.
post #29305 of 46067
I have teh asian genetics, come at me sitting in a full wall squat with my feet touching, vertical spine and no heel raise. Obvs how we all do it playing mahjong on the floor. Usually just sit in an overhead squat for like a minute with 40kg one in a while, probably helps with mobility.
post #29306 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

the human body is not a car though.

I still don't see how mobility work does anything but increase mobility. That's a good thing if you need the mobility, but it's unnecessary if you don't.

I say this as someone who has a lot of work to do to increase mobility so that I can do a proper overhead squat. But once I get to that point, I would suggest that the simple act of actually overhead squatting will be enough to maintain the mobility required..

There's a lot of similarities to a car and the body. Parts and body parts have their specific job, when they stop working it can be assessed and changed. Also when one thing goes, other things will start going as a result. Mobility work does a lot more than just increase mobility, it also strengthens the area and teach muscles to correctly fire. I like to have mobility past the point of where I train, others don't and that's fine but it's nice to know I possibly have a buffer on my 100% sets.

I know you're chasing to overhead squat but let me put it this way. When I competed in olympic weightlifter I never mobilized, I pretty much put 100% of my trust in my coach because I was winning medals and happy. I asked him why we never mobilized and his response was that the body finds a way. Which is right, but I don't agree with him now. The way that the body will find isn't always the best way. Stuff gets tight then weak then dont fire and other things take over. I lifted in a crossfit gym on some days and people would comment how great my mobility is, but in fact it was actually piss poor yet my body was just use to the positions.
post #29307 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

Yes, except mobility and ROM are not mutually exclusive.

of course they're not. Getting to a proper ROM is dependent upon good mobility. I'm not arguing that at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

Ensuring you have proper mobility is just as much about being able to maintain proper posture at a desk job without ***internal rotation*** as it is about lifting properly.

Not to mention to injury prevention and rehab benefits. Get some actual deep tissue work done or learn enough to do it properly and consistently.. You might be surprised.

Look I'm not arguing against good posture or proper rotation or anything like that.

I'm just skeptical of mobility work in order to enhance anything but mobility.
post #29308 of 46067
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

I'm not saying I can do this and I'm not speaking ill of mobility work - I think it's great...for increasing mobility. And that's what I'll use it for.

When I can do a proper overhead squat with perfect form it's going out the window.

Haha, my earlier reply was unintentionally appropriate. I agree with the ohs example - the thing is there are a lot of chronic issues that people would benefit from fixing as opposed to only targeting something like proper ohs ROM. Something like shoulder rotation or shitty posture is more of an ongoing thing that specific mobility work can target. I think a lot of that can largely be "treated" by a lifting routine itself (e.g. appropriate push pull balance) but I think there's a lot of benefit to doing a generic-ish mobility routine or doing some tissue work that will address the common issues people will run into.
post #29309 of 46067
I've always wondered how much the top lifters mobilize, but I guess when you're on so much Tren and other shit it doesn't matter. The only person that mobilizes as much as me in my gym is a strongman who has won Arnolds 2x in his weight class and also has an elite raw total (the only raw lifter in my gym to have an elite total, there are 2 geared elites though).
post #29310 of 46067
I think MOBILITY could be another slogan for the rhet 2013 shirt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts