Originally Posted by suited
How is it a horrible idea? If the macros will fit into your breakdown for the day, it's the same thing as eating any other food made up of the same combination of fat/carbs/protein.
I think IIFYM is bullshit, and here's why:
1. With cutting, so much of it is mental that toying with your diet is a recipe for setting off a binge.
2. Papa John's isn't weighing their ingredients. There's likely a TON of variation from their published nutrition facts. A little extra cheese or a few slices of pepperoni can make a large difference.
3. The people who are most successful cutting do so with rigid diets and repetition. Adding a lot of variation to the diet complicates things and can throw a wrench in your prep.
4. There's other factors than just macros when it comes to cutting. Sodium is important in the last few weeks and eating out is a surefire way to get a ton of water retention that can be a pain to get rid of.
5. If it worked, the top guys would do it. And they don't.
IIFYM probably works if you're cutting from 20% down to 15% because honestly, that kind of cut isn't very difficult. With more extreme cuts, I don't think it would be wise to fool around with Pizza Hut, especially in the last few weeks.