or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 1426

post #21376 of 46421
much of it is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but how do you reconcile that with something like "nobody has any business being over 15% bodyfat?" yeah extra scale weight helps with leverage against the bar but im betting there are a lot of people who are not primarily reliant on calorie excess to make strength gains

i think the two polarizing schools of thought - "rarrghh eat everything" vs "clean bulk" - are responsible for a lot of lifters flip-flopping in their diet based on whatever article they've read the most recently.
post #21377 of 46421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

much of it is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but how do you reconcile that with something like "nobody has any business being over 15% bodyfat?" yeah extra scale weight helps with leverage against the bar but im betting there are a lot of people who are not primarily reliant on calorie excess to make strength gains
i think the two polarizing schools of thought - "rarrghh eat everything" vs "clean bulk" - are responsible for a lot of lifters flip-flopping in their diet based on whatever article they've read the most recently.

I think you're missing the point of the article and who it's directed to.

It's directed to those who say that they can't gain any weight, not just everyone who lifts.
post #21378 of 46421
I think that article combined with the T-Nation one arguing against ignoring fat gains to "get big" are a good balance.
post #21379 of 46421
i understand that, i think they just lost their point when trying to bring the lulz.

some skinny kid is going to start cooking everything in bacon fat and butter and be happy he's put on scale weight when in reality a) now he's a fatass, think frogtech kid and b) he still doesn't know anything about eating to achieve his goals outside of "uh, eat everything i guess, elitefts told me so."

i guess this is the yearly incarnation of "fuck you teenage metabolism whiny bitches, eat the fuck up." fwiw, i agree with the point and i certainly agree that these folks need to sit down and start eating pounds of meat. with that being said, the whole bacon and butter lulz thing is a good reason why we have guys like stinger measuring his biceps after a hiking trip terrified that he lost dem gainzz and tons of dudes who lift are perma-fat because they think they'll atrophy if they drop below 5000 cals for a week. take it with a grain of salt i guess, but knowing the audience they're speaking to you know it will probably turn out poorly
post #21380 of 46421
I'm eating 20 oz chicken every day. Think I'm gonna do it buffalo style and put it all on a frozen pizza. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #21381 of 46421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

i understand that, i think they just lost their point when trying to bring the lulz.
some skinny kid is going to start cooking everything in bacon fat and butter and be happy he's put on scale weight when in reality a) now he's a fatass, think frogtech kid and b) he still doesn't know anything about eating to achieve his goals outside of "uh, eat everything i guess, elitefts told me so."
i guess this is the yearly incarnation of "fuck you teenage metabolism whiny bitches, eat the fuck up." fwiw, i agree with the point and i certainly agree that these folks need to sit down and start eating pounds of meat. with that being said, the whole bacon and butter lulz thing is a good reason why we have guys like stinger measuring his biceps after a hiking trip terrified that he lost dem gainzz and tons of dudes who lift are perma-fat because they think they'll atrophy if they drop below 5000 cals for a week. take it with a grain of salt i guess, but knowing the audience they're speaking to you know it will probably turn out poorly

For someone that doesn't want to be that big (<220 on a 5'10" frame), "some" of that is a LITTLE over the top.

For someone already around 200-220 pounds that wants to get big? None of that sounds too crazy at all. The lifter doesn't have to do every single step in there but I'd say doing at least half would be beneficial. Someone that size that wants to get big from that point would need about 300-400g protein, 400-700g carbs, 250-350g fats a day. That's about 5000-7550. A large range, but it depends on the individual. The total calorie count would increase to around 10,000/day for someone approaching 300 pounds and heavier (taller guys mostly).

This is where the article's steps would help a lot. For anyone that has eaten completely clean for a diet knows how hard it would be to eat 5000, hell, even 4000 clean calories a day. The steps help to lessen the stress on your digestive system to achieve your desired calories count for the day.




But yes, it's not for someone like 180 pounds and 6' tall. They just need to eat more of what they're eating. And if they don't have the stomach capacity for that. Some of that article will help them too.
post #21382 of 46421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post

lift, eat, sleep, videogames, life is good.

i second this notion with an option of occasional boozing
post #21383 of 46421
post #21384 of 46421
I'm debating whether or not to try the eat-yourself-sick method for a while. Given my height of just shy of 6'2" tall, I'd probably be better suited to the 105kg class anyway. But then I see Ian Wilson who is over 6ft and is #1 in the 94kg class and I think "If he can do it, surely I can hit my meager goals without getting heavier."

Ugh, what to do what to do.....
post #21385 of 46421
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger70 View Post

why
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucks View Post

stinger, for fucks sake, pick a program and stick to it.
post #21386 of 46421
At 6'2", I'd think 105kg's is the bare minimum for you icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #21387 of 46421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchariybrown View Post

At 6'2", I'd think 105kg's is the bare minimum for you icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I imagine myself looking so fucking chubby at 230.

Also, fuck you TKGKTKGK. You're the same weight as me, and similar numbers (450DL, 315ish bench) and I have 14.5" arms and hardly any definition whatsoever.

I hate you. I do, however, fucking love Dishonored and Skyrim.
post #21388 of 46421
Getting close to 1 year, almost at 180 now @ 5'9, up 30 lbs from my skinniest, 15 lbs from my skinnyfat stage, still mid teens bf% so I'll probably tackle that once I put on some more gainz.

Squat 320x5x3
Bench 195x5x3
OHP 130x5x3
DL 350x5

The hardest part of the pull seems to be locking out the top, that's where I start failing at the latter reps, should I supplement some rack pulls maybe to concentrate on that? Still running GSLP so pulling 1x a week squatting 2x.

Going to cut back on the getting shit faced quite as regularly and clean up the diet a little, hopefully get more of a clean bulk. Working with a bunch of old ass engineers on my floor is hilarious... 99% of the guys are fat neckbeards and most of the females are post menopausal diabetes cases waiting to happen. They see me eating and seem shocked, then go back to their nutrisystem.
post #21389 of 46421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saenek View Post

The hardest part of the pull seems to be locking out the top, that's where I start failing at the latter reps, should I supplement some rack pulls maybe to concentrate on that?

Depends on if it's a problem with lockout technique, setup, or lack of strength. Rack pulls generally help with strength but most beginners/intermediates have issues with lockout due to their technique and/or setup.
post #21390 of 46421
Rugby initiation is retarded. Only had a bit of it, have to be reinitiated because i'm a late joiner. Had to chug 2 pints of snake bite and then 2 pints through a funnel in one go, thats like 1l of beer. Then I had to do a relay of drinking a double gin and tonic, spinning around a broom stick 20 times, running probably 50m, chugging another double and then running back. With my cock out on campus in front of pretty much half the school.


Playing 2nd row, don't know what that means.
Edited by fuji - 10/25/12 at 2:54am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts