or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 1286

post #19276 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

It feels like it's in my lower traps. It's right between my shoulder blades directly adjacent to my spine, slightly more to the right and it radiates to my neck. It's somewhat positional...turning my head to either side increases the pain some.

Yep, you wrenched your trap. Ice, anti-inflams, and more ice. Lay off it for a bit. And next time, just drop the fucking weights. Its not worth injuring yourself.
post #19277 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post


I think it happened when I was putting the weights down. I had 100lb DBs and my gym has a strict no dropping policy. I think when I lowered them I screwed something up.

 

This is the single biggest problem with a "no dropping" policy. There's no safe way to put 100lb DBs down from an incline press position. 

post #19278 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy4500 View Post

Nice. Daisy is hands-down the best cottage cheese brand. My market had Daisy cottage cheese on sale this week, so I calculated how much I would need until the expiry date on the batch and then proceeded to load up on that ish. However, for the greek yogurt I'm a fan of Cabot 2%, texture is like pudding so smooth and creamy. Plus it's the cheapest greek yogurt in the store.
My coach puts the events on a TV in the training room. Problem solved.
Plus, nothing gets you more psyched to go lift big on your own than watching world class athletes do it 30 seconds earlier.

i just found this out as soon as i ate it. daisy owns. never had 4% either, so smooth and creamy. all of the daisy stuff was on sale so i think i came out with 12 tubs. sadly, there was literally no greek yogurt left outside of the single-serving fruit cups. luckily the night stockers came by with a flat of 6 tubs of dannon that i took but it was slim pickins otherwise. will be back in another few weeks..
post #19279 of 47189
i ended up paying $10 for the HideMyAss VPN so I can watch the BBC iPlayer. Still kinda shitty, at least at home, fuck you Cockcast.

Maybe it'll be better from work during the week but it sometimes buffers every 15seconds it seems
post #19280 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadowen View Post

This is the single biggest problem with a "no dropping" policy. There's no safe way to put 100lb DBs down from an incline press position. 

Yeah, fuck that shit. I drop them to my knees and then they go onto the floor from there. I'm not wrenching my back/shoulder/neck so some douchebag doesn't have to be inconvenienced by a little noise.
post #19281 of 47189
Yeah...I'm dropping them from now on. The only ones who will complain are the same ones who bitch about me deadlifting. I've become bro-sy with most of the employees there, so I doubt they'll care too much about dropping DBs out of safety.

Luckily the strain feels minor..most of the pain is already gone. I'm going to give it a couple days before I try any type of hard lifting that involves my traps.
post #19282 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKJTG View Post

Yeah...I'm dropping them from now on. The only ones who will complain are the same ones who bitch about me deadlifting. I've become bro-sy with most of the employees there, so I doubt they'll care too much about dropping DBs out of safety.
Luckily the strain feels minor..most of the pain is already gone. I'm going to give it a couple days before I try any type of hard lifting that involves my traps.

If they say something to you, ask if they'd like to be sued for all of your medical bills + pain and suffering from an injury if you were to tear your trap.
post #19283 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucks View Post

i ended up paying $10 for the HideMyAss VPN so I can watch the BBC iPlayer. Still kinda shitty, at least at home, fuck you Cockcast.

yea I got that too. eurosport is supershit wrt coverage, but has the best commentator. oh and about that , wtf was it with BBC commentators. did not seem to know what they were commentating on. i.e. moldovian lifter clean pulled a weight = must be injured, lifter looks at knee before lift = must be injured
post #19284 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucks View Post

i ended up paying $10 for the HideMyAss VPN so I can watch the BBC iPlayer. Still kinda shitty, at least at home, fuck you Cockcast.
Maybe it'll be better from work during the week but it sometimes buffers every 15seconds it seems
I don't know about ones you pay for but I used proxies when I was in Munich when I had really fast internet and it kept buffering and pixelating. If the connection is good enough iPlayer is good enough, at least when it doesn't have to leave the country.
post #19285 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

If they say something to you, ask if they'd like to be sued for all of your medical bills + pain and suffering from an injury if you were to tear your trap.

why would you say this to a kid making minimum wage? drop the weights, say "oops wont do it again" and move on.

my old university gym actually had to shut down for a week since the flooring they used in the free weight area was comprised of big sectional pieces. repeated db dropping caused the pieces to buckle, shift and overlap. big pain in the ass to fix, so its not always people getting annoyed with the sound of weights dropping when it comes to that policy. with that being said, keep dropping them - i think i've gotten more tweaks and niggling little "injuries" from awkwardly lowering dbs or hoisting them back onto the rack than doing dumb injury-worthy shit.
post #19286 of 47189

I don't usually love Rippetoe, but I think this is a pretty good opinion piece he just wrote for T-Nation:

 

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/get_your_press_up

 

Who in here has a bodyweight press? 

post #19287 of 47189
An interesting read, but it ironically contains no suggestions on how to get your press up.
post #19288 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post

An interesting read, but it ironically contains no suggestions on how to get your press up.

 

Haha I guess. I don't think there's any secret to getting your press up. Same as any other lift. I think his big point was that most guys focus on bench press, and almost never standing press. 

post #19289 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadowen View Post

I don't usually love Rippetoe, but I think this is a pretty good opinion piece he just wrote for T-Nation:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/get_your_press_up

Who in here has a bodyweight press? 

before i read this i thought "i bet there is going to be some kind of appeal for the 'good old days,' a tone of condescension towards modern lifting / modern ideal of masculinity, and copious usage of the words 'pussy' or 'communist.'" article did not disappoint.
Quote:
But if the real reason you don't want to press is the fact that you don't want to confront a hole – likely a gaping-ass hole – in your strength, then the bar is right: you're a pussy.
Quote:
Look at the video again. Doesn't this make you want to be more like a man that can press double his own bodyweight overhead, and less like you? Are you immune to the sight of a mastodon like Reding cleaning 502 like it was just a formality, and then pressing the thing overhead in little more than one second?

Why has it been 40 years since this kind of thing was done? Even if it was taken out of the competition, shouldn't somebody still be able to press 500? If for some bizarre reason they decided that the 100 meters was too hard to judge and dropped it from the Olympics, would people just stop running this obvious distance for time?

There was a time when any guy training in a gym could press his bodyweight; that was considered a good start (like 300,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean). A strong man could do 75 pounds over his bodyweight. Do you personally know anyone that can?

I don't know about you, but I feel like apologizing to the barbell every time I train the press, because, if nothing else, I have an accurate perspective of where I stand in the Grand Scheme of Things, and I'm embarrassed for us all.

im not using the press as a main movement but in a different context as an assistance lift, therefore i am a giant bleeding vagina unworthy of owning my own cock. thanks, rip!
post #19290 of 47189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post


before i read this i thought "i bet there is going to be some kind of appeal for the 'good old days,' a tone of condescension towards modern lifting / modern ideal of masculinity, and copious usage of the words 'pussy' or 'communist.'"
thanks for being a predictable blowhard, rip!

 

Hah. I mean, his attitude leaves something to be desired, but the point that too many people focus on bench press instead of shoulder press has a lot of merit...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts