or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random health and exercise thoughts - Page 740

post #11086 of 46915
I hit a bw snatch within like 2.5 months of olympic lifting. Got a meet next week, so pumped.
post #11087 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by theom- View Post

I hit a bw snatch within like 2.5 months of olympic lifting. Got a meet next week, so pumped.

Good luck! Powerlifting/weightlifting competitions are just pure awesome.
post #11088 of 46915
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2011/12/08/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-cooked-food-provides-a-lot-more-energy/

Some research suggests eating cooked foods = more calories. Raw food = less calories.
post #11089 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2011/12/08/why-calorie-counts-are-wrong-cooked-food-provides-a-lot-more-energy/
Some research suggests eating cooked foods = more calories. Raw food = less calories.

Interesting. Easy to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon View Post

In case anyone was wondering what happened (prob not), was well worth the cost... which was nothing. Have a little more power on my squats, was introduced to the dark hell that is foam rolling, and definitely have more things to think about/try out on the other lifts (whether or not they'll help is yet to be seen).

I was wondering. I would enjoy something similar. I did something similar once with the "lifter" of the gym and he only said I had "good form" and that I should try the Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

Does foam rolling actually help? I was considering taking it up but I never feel stiff.

I need a foam rolling for dummies and it has to be a 5 to 10 minute routine MAX. This goes for stretching, too - you start researching "stretching" and you find 6,000,000 stretches where you probably need 5. I can't even fuck with Youtube and foam rolling - 3,100 results.
post #11090 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post

I need a foam rolling for dummies and it has to be a 5 to 10 minute routine MAX. This goes for stretching, too - you start researching "stretching" and you find 6,000,000 stretches where you probably need 5. I can't even fuck with Youtube and foam rolling - 3,100 results.

What are you trying to stretch?
post #11091 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly7 View Post

Does foam rolling actually help? I was considering taking it up but I never feel stiff.

yes. i developed an awful aching in my hip flexors over time and couldn't squat more than 135 without pain. one day it just hit me that i should roll those out and see if it helps. instant healing no pain when squatting. i just roll for maybe 5 minutes tops every day to get loose, do a little jump rope mixed in and helps tremendously.
post #11092 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by 630 View Post

yes. i developed an awful aching in my hip flexors over time and couldn't squat more than 135 without pain. one day it just hit me that i should roll those out and see if it helps. instant healing no pain when squatting. i just roll for maybe 5 minutes tops every day to get loose, do a little jump rope mixed in and helps tremendously.

This is me. I need to get some foam rollers asap then.
post #11093 of 46915
i have one but i never have the patience to get down to it. maybe i shall..
post #11094 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post

I was wondering. I would enjoy something similar. I did something similar once with the "lifter" of the gym and he only said I had "good form" and that I should try the Smith.

I went in expecting this but wound up with some useful info instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post

I need a foam rolling for dummies and it has to be a 5 to 10 minute routine MAX. This goes for stretching, too - you start researching "stretching" and you find 6,000,000 stretches where you probably need 5. I can't even fuck with Youtube and foam rolling - 3,100 results.

I also need this... specifically adductors, abductors, and IT band.

jarude: She'd float at least a couple boats who browse the Athletic Women thread.
post #11095 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post


I need a foam rolling for dummies and it has to be a 5 to 10 minute routine MAX. This goes for stretching, too - you start researching "stretching" and you find 6,000,000 stretches where you probably need 5. I can't even fuck with Youtube and foam rolling - 3,100 results.

Joe DeFranco's Agile 8
...here is an extremely simple & practical routine that athletes (or “average Joe’s”) can perform everyday. I like this routine because it only takes 7-10 minutes and it can be done at home or at the gym. (All you need is a foam roller and a tennis ball…if you don’t have these two inexpensive tools; I highly recommend you go get them!)

#1 – Foam Roll IT Band – Start just below your hip and roll up & down to your mid-(outer) thigh 10-15X, focusing on any tight spots. Then perform 10-15 “rolls” starting at your mid-(outer) thigh and rolling all the way down to the outside of your knee. Again, focus on the tight areas.
image010.jpg

#2 – Foam Roll Adductors – Start just below the crease of your hip and roll up & down to your mid (inner) thigh 10-15X, focusing on any tight spots. Then perform 10-15 “rolls” starting at your mid-(inner) thigh and rolling down to the inside of your knee. Again, focus on the tight spots.

image012.jpg

#3 – Glute/Piriformis Myofacial release w/ static stretch

#4 – *Rollovers into “V” sits – Perform 10 reps
#5 - *Fire hydrant circles – 10 forward circles/10 backward circles each leg
#6 - *Mountain climbers – 20 reps
#7 - *Groiners – Perform 10 reps. Hold last rep for 10 seconds…push knees out with your upper arms while dropping your butt down.

*The video below demonstrates exercises 4-7. Make sure you really focus on achieving a big range of motion with all these exercises. Don’t just go through the motions!

#8 – Static hip flexor stretch – Perform 3 sets of 10 seconds each leg. Perform all 3 sets on one leg before moving onto the other leg.
image014.jpg
post #11096 of 46915
Agile 8 is good, I do some of them minus foam rolling and it has help tremendously get deeper in the squat.
post #11097 of 46915
tbh though, sometimes barbell work (that is, movements with just a barbell) can increase mobility as well as foam rolling/SMR/static stretching. As in OHS/front squatting a barbell repeatedly if you have mobility issues that prevent youfrom hitting a deep squat etc.

Although for a complete novice lifter I'd be hesitant to recommend this, but for a dude squatting 2-300lbs to parallel, I think some wiggling around with a barbell on their back isn't going to destroy them.
post #11098 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrH View Post

tbh though, sometimes barbell work (that is, movements with just a barbell) can increase mobility as well as foam rolling/SMR/static stretching. As in OHS/front squatting a barbell repeatedly if you have mobility issues that prevent youfrom hitting a deep squat etc.
Although for a complete novice lifter I'd be hesitant to recommend this, but for a dude squatting 2-300lbs to parallel, I think some wiggling around with a barbell on their back isn't going to destroy them.

This, plus good mornings for your hammies.
post #11099 of 46915
Quote:
Originally Posted by theom- View Post

This, plus good mornings for your hammies.

For a while I could only bend down low enough to touch my knees. One session of really heavy RDLs and I could get my palms to the floor.


Hung over speed deadlifts today, gonna throw up errywhere.
post #11100 of 46915
Thread Starter 
Fucking ruined my lower back doing 3x370 today DL's. first 2 were just fine but the last one was all back and I think I pulled something.

Also, why am I 5 lbs heavier but lifting less all around then I was 1 year ago?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Random health and exercise thoughts