• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The Official Polo by Ralph Lauren Thread***

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does Polo Ralph Lauren even still exist? Is it considered the bastard child of RL? And if so, why?

Personally, back a while (decades even), I used to buy shirts marked Polo by Ralph Lauren and a few plain Ralph Lauren casual shirts.

More recently, I've rediscovered PLRL in some vintage shopping. They're fairly decent shirts, in my estimation, comparable at least to better J. Crew offerings.

Thoughts?

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its the outlet mall brand. Its everywhere.

Its made like crap but its cheap so i use the chinos for work so i don't mind them getting dirty/ruined.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmm. Seems better than outlet mall quality to me. Maybe department store quality? I know that in the late 70s early 80s in Mpls, I used to pick up PLRL quite regularly at places in the upscale malls.

At least the garments I have, mostly shirts, are really nice. I have a large blue gingham shirt, an epaulet tartan, and an epaulet khaki shirt from the 90s that I love, for examples. I notice that they don't fit quite as slim as my more recent J. Crew shirts of similar kinds, but they are very passable.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the line may have been different years ago...

Proceed

Reaction score
i'm still a fan of polo ralph lauren, i'm sure not currently but back in the day some of their stuff was made in the US. a lot of the stuff jcrew is putting out now you could find a comparable, sometimes better version of a older polo.

by looking at any issue of free & easy its definitely apparent that plrl put out decent stuff. i've found blue, red and green chambrays all vintage but of other rl labels.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What I'm picking up in PLRL these days is definitely vintage, some early 1990s, others early 1980s or even late 1970s. Like I say, I find the quality to be pretty good. It's much better than I'd expect to see in an outlet mall.

I even found a nice PLRL hunters sport coat from the early 80s that, aside from the color difference and use of heavier corduroy, is almost identical to a recent J. Crew offering.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
I like the shirts. Only have experience with the oxford fabrics, but I like them alot and they usually fit really well. Slim (they could be slimmer around the waist though) and the collar roll tends to be good. Nothing special, but then again, I don't think buttondown shirts should be.

Apart from the shirts the line doesn't generally interest me.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It does seem to be mostly about the shirts.

Anyway, for anyone else slummin the PLRL... .

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Though seriously, as an exception to what I own (i.e., just PL shirts), that hunters sport jacket is still pretty awesome.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is PLRL... you mean PRL right? polo ralph lauren... or ralph lauren blue label...

of course they still make it i think polo is one of the hidden gems--the stuff they put online cant compare to the stuff in store, which is all very americana and very cool

go check out an actual ralph lauren store, lots of really nice showpieces from prl

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
PL is actually in your user id, brah! Kool.

To me it's cooler to say PL as opposed to just P. At least for purposes of this forum. I don't know what the "official" acronym is.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Please, semi-serious contributors only.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you suck and should feel bad about this thread

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
PL is actually in your user id, brah! Kool.

To me it's cooler to say PL as opposed to just P. At least for purposes of this forum. I don't know what the "official" acronym is.

w t f?

the brand is called polo ralph lauren so im having a really hard time tryign to figure out what you want L to stand for, i dont know if theres an official acronym or not either but you cant just stick in a random letter

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads