or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes? - Page 4

post #46 of 183
Thread Starter 
Long hair is for hippies and EG lookbook models.
post #47 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
No, my position is essentially that by buying nice clothes, a fat person is acknowledging that their situation is OK and have no intentions of doing anything but at least maintaining their current weight.
But their situation is ok if they've decided it is. Unless they're obese to the point that it's a major health hazzard, there's nothing wrong with the decision to be heavier because you enjoy eating more than you enjoy working out. It may not be the right decision for you, but it's fine for them.
Quote:
Fat is a flaw, just like many other things are and I think that people should endeavor to fix their flaws.
How do you stand being in the same room with yourself? You sound so much like a Puritan it's scary. Honestly I wonder how you'd react to someone speaking like this about something you have problems with.
Quote:
If a fat person wants to stay fat then that's fine, but if I'm asked whether or not I think it's ok for them to just give up, then I will tell you exactly what I've been saying now.
How is deciding to be overweight, giving up? There are people around who just don't give a flying fuck about being in shape. That's their call, and they shouldn't be group thunk into feeling bad about it.

Can you not see how you keep applying your values to other people? Do you really think that sort of behavior is ok?

Also, how do you think anyone who comes to this forum seeking advice about a weight problem is going to feel reading this bullshit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post
It's always the formerly fat and out of shape who are the most aggressive and judgmental toward the overweight and start these threads.
Those of us who have always been in good shape are usually not as obnoxious about it. Just something I've noticed online.
It's like ex-smokers; it's pretty unbearable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post
Taking pride in your health and your body is all fine and good, to a point. But when you take it to the next step and start criticizing the bodies of others (of your own gender, anyway) you just sound like a teenage girl. Grow up and be a fucking man you little gossip queen.
Yeah, bingo. It's like grown up Heathers.
post #48 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delimit View Post
But their situation is ok if they've decided it is. Unless they're obese to the point that it's a major health hazzard, there's nothing wrong with the decision to be heavier because you enjoy eating more than you enjoy working out. It may not be the right decision for you, but it's fine for them. How do you stand being in the same room with yourself? You sound so much like a Puritan it's scary. Honestly I wonder how you'd react to someone speaking like this about something you have problems with.How is deciding to be overweight, giving up? There are people around who just don't give a flying fuck about being in shape. That's their call, and they shouldn't be group thunk into feeling bad about it. Can you not see how you keep applying your values to other people? Do you really think that sort of behavior is ok? Also, how do you think anyone who comes to this forum seeking advice about a weight problem is going to feel reading this bullshit? It's like ex-smokers; it's pretty unbearable. Yeah, bingo. It's like grown up Heathers.
Well first of all, I think you should find it a bit ironic that on a forum where the members here absolutely eviscerate people based on their appearance (anyone from members here to celebs), you are now running to the defense of fat people. I mean, it might take you 5 seconds to find someone here saying something far meaner about how some other dude looks. The fact is that having a waist over like 36 puts you at risk of having diabetes, and there's a ton of other health risks. In North America, 36 isn't even that fat. Most fat dudes are more than that. I'm a 32 and know guys with a 36 who I don't think are even that badly off. But as you say, that's a personal choice and whereas I did think before that being fat should incur penalties on your insurance, I no longer think that because it's actually incredibly un-american. Again, when I look at a fat person and judge them, it's a private thing. I'm as gracious with a person who is overweight than with someone who isn't. Some of my friends are fat. Again I just answered a simple question, and you're still arguing me on something that doesn't need to be argued about. I never said that I'm trying to legislate against fat people buying nice clothes or not making an effort to lose weight. I have no idea where you got the idea that I am trying to take away the right of men to make choices about their health and appearance. If they don't give a flying fuck about being in shape, then that's their deal. I probably won't be friends with them because I'm generally friends with fairly active people and my social life revolves around going out, playing sports and doing other things that fat people generally tend to avoid. I have done things like drink far too much, party too much and be irresponsible with women and my friends have been very critical with me on it. They saw that I was doing something wrong and they helped to make me better. Does it mean that occasionally I don't still get drunk or whatever? Of course not, but when I failed to do those things in moderation, I heard about it from people that I care about. If I was 50-100lbs overweight, I sure as fuck hope that someone would speak up and help me to improve myself. I have never, ever met anyone who was happier fat. I'm sure it is entirely possible, but having met several fat chefs who are now thin, they all admit (some not as openly), that they are far happier being normal.
post #49 of 183
Everyone buys clothes. Why buy ugly clothes?
post #50 of 183
i am at the correct BMI for my height/weight! i am a thin person and reading this thread made me realize i need to make more money and change my surroundings i wish i could work around more overweight fellows that can buy nice clothes. i would assume they at least have a nice grooming regimine. at the lower end of of the income spectrum(where i am at), overweight people do smell and when you get into small spaces you can really smell the sweat on them. now, it could be a hot day in hawaii, but, im sure you could deal with BO in various ways! now does fat lead to B.O.? I know thinner people smell too, but to me it certainly seems so for those that don't allocate their time and resources in the direction of self image/grooming I am only like this because i was never overweight, but i have gone through my own problems using mind over matter ideas, so i think if you want to fix obesity, its within one's grasp if they buckle down. i also dislike people spending money on iphones when they have bad skin. allocate money elsewhere! /end being mean
post #51 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by noel_esq. View Post
soonami

Shit that came out of nowhere!

In my defense, I used to be trimmer, but back surgery combined with rigorous coursework and lab work has taken it's toll. However, even when I was in high school and playing soccer and running track I was still never skinny--fit but always heavy-set.

On the contrary, I do not agree that overweight people should not buy nice clothes. No matter how skinny or fat one is, they deserve to feel good about themselves and wear clothes that make feel better.
post #52 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Well first of all, I think you should find it a bit ironic that on a forum where the members here absolutely eviscerate people based on their appearance (anyone from members here to celebs), you are now running to the defense of fat people. I mean, it might take you 5 seconds to find someone here saying something far meaner about how some other dude looks. The fact is that having a waist over like 36 puts you at risk of having diabetes, and there's a ton of other health risks. In North America, 36 isn't even that fat. Most fat dudes are more than that. I'm a 32 and know guys with a 36 who I don't think are even that badly off. But as you say, that's a personal choice and whereas I did think before that being fat should incur penalties on your insurance, I no longer think that because it's actually incredibly un-american. Again, when I look at a fat person and judge them, it's a private thing. I'm as gracious with a person who is overweight than with someone who isn't. Some of my friends are fat. Again I just answered a simple question, and you're still arguing me on something that doesn't need to be argued about. I never said that I'm trying to legislate against fat people buying nice clothes or not making an effort to lose weight. I have no idea where you got the idea that I am trying to take away the right of men to make choices about their health and appearance. If they don't give a flying fuck about being in shape, then that's their deal. I probably won't be friends with them because I'm generally friends with fairly active people and my social life revolves around going out, playing sports and doing other things that fat people generally tend to avoid. I have done things like drink far too much, party too much and be irresponsible with women and my friends have been very critical with me on it. They saw that I was doing something wrong and they helped to make me better. Does it mean that occasionally I don't still get drunk or whatever? Of course not, but when I failed to do those things in moderation, I heard about it from people that I care about. If I was 50-100lbs overweight, I sure as fuck hope that someone would speak up and help me to improve myself. I have never, ever met anyone who was happier fat. I'm sure it is entirely possible, but having met several fat chefs who are now thin, they all admit (some not as openly), that they are far happier being normal.
Please don't pretend you cared about the fats's health by citing to diabetes risk. I'm sure it wasn't your intention when you started the thread. Just look at your original question and stick to what you started.
post #53 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TintoTerra View Post
Shouldn't you be spending that money on a gym membership? Not being cruel here, but if some people would just find the discipline to run on the treadmill 40 minutes a day they'd look so much better, and won't have wasted 300 on a shirt that fits them like a strained tarp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.
May you both be stuck in a middle row seat between unwashed 300#hillbilly women on a 24 hour bus ride in the summer without AC.
post #54 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtie View Post
May you both be stuck in a middle row seat between unwashed 300#hillbilly women on a 24 hour bus ride in the summer without AC.

I had a 15 hour flight to Beirut stuck between two very fat people when I was younger. It has made me angry for life. The burping, the smells, the loud breathing, the sounds they made when they ate and just the general sloppiness of their existence scared me in a way that I don't know if I'll ever heal.
post #55 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I had a 15 hour flight to Beirut stuck between two very fat people when I was younger. It has made me angry for life. The burping, the smells, the loud breathing, the sounds they made when they ate and just the general sloppiness of their existence scared me in a way that I don't know if I'll ever heal.
Ugh. I can picture this in my head. I get really pissed off when I'm on a bus or a plane and a big 350lb. lardball lumbers on. On the bus, they inevitably take up two seats and look grotesque. Then there's what Fieldy mentioned, the sounds and the smells.
post #56 of 183
This thread makes me want to stay fat. The OP would obviously be pissed off to see a 256# man well dressed, with an attractive wife, and living large. Now I'm stuck with just having an attractive wife, good clothes that are too loose, and living large
post #57 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threak View Post
If you're in great shape, why buy clothes?
______________________ Okay so I ask SField: Why should fat people not wear nice clothes? You seem to have a problem with this.
post #58 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by iampeter View Post
i am at the correct BMI for my height/weight! i am a thin person and reading this thread made me realize i need to make more money and change my surroundings.
According to the flawed BMI, I am horribly obese. I am also an athlete, and while I need to lose some of my belly I carry a lot of muscle mass.
Quote:
now does fat lead to B.O.?
Bad hygiene and physical activity. Most of the stinkers I encounter are skinny. And then there are those stinky women.
Quote:
its within one's grasp if they buckle down.
Most of the time yes, but remember Weight Watchers has a 2% long-tern success rate.
Quote:
i also dislike people spending money on iphones when they have bad skin.
As I hate when brown-eye people spend money on teeth whitener.
post #59 of 183
If you're overweight, why live?
post #60 of 183
Thread Starter 
The point I was making is, why not spend money on quality food, gym, yoga etc. instead of clothes for awhile. Not forever, just maybe say, a year. Accept that you're fat and that clothes won't help you look 'cool' or even 'good' until you humble yourself enough to get out of your comfort zone and sweat away at the gym like the piggy you are for a few months. If you really work at it, you *will* be thin. At least thin enough that you aren't huffing and puffing and feeling exhausted all the time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?