or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes? - Page 2

post #16 of 183
Quote:
Sorry I disagree. HOT guyz MAKE stuff stylish. NOTTIES DONT. It not fair but its life.
Um...no. God, really fucking no, in fact. Style has zero to do with the way your body looks.

There are plenty of hot people on the planet who dress like ass. No one would ever call them stylish. They might want to screw 'em, but they probably don't want to be seen out with 'em after.
post #17 of 183
Thread Starter 
While I'm mostly being a jackass due to boredom, I also faced this dilemma myself and spent a year(!) just focusing on losing weight and getting healthy. Now I can wear whatever I want and it still looks pretty decent. No more massive beergut poking out of my outfits. It's slightly frustrating to see people in a situation like I was previously and doing nothing about it, so it is with great compassion that I say, 'get to the gym you fat fucker'.
post #18 of 183
1.) Lose weight. 2.) Maintainence. 3.) Buy clothes. 4.) Smash dudes in your (new) peacoat.
post #19 of 183
I think that if you're overweight, you should avoid buying expensive clothes because that would mean that you aren't really planning on changing. I don't find any fault in trying to look decent. Dressing like shit can be bad for your self esteem, and if you're trying to make a positive change in your life, that will be the last thing you need.

I think that unless funds are unlimited, a fat person should try to change themselves first before buying expensive clothes.
post #20 of 183
I think we should just enslave the fatty's. It's not like they're real people or anything.

Put those lazy fuckers to work.
post #21 of 183
With the economy the way it is, we should be encouraging the fatties to buy moar clothes now, and then even more when they diet. Or even better, encourage them to both eat more AND get gym memberships. Leveraging the fatties is America's only hope now. (5)
post #22 of 183
Quote:
I think that if you're overweight, you should avoid buying expensive clothes because that would mean that you aren't really planning on changing.
But if they aren't planning on changing, why shouldn't they buy expensive clothes? They shouldn't buy expensive clothes if they are planning on changing, maybe, but if they're not worried about it, then there's no reason they shouldn't buy whatever they feel like.
post #23 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delimit View Post
But if they aren't planning on changing, why shouldn't they buy expensive clothes? They shouldn't buy expensive clothes if they are planning on changing, maybe, but if they're not worried about it, then there's no reason they shouldn't buy whatever they feel like.

From a legal perspective, in America especially, where people's rights are guaranteed under law, you are correct. Morally and rationally it makes no sense whatsoever. There's no reason to be fat.
post #24 of 183
Same goes with being underweight.
post #25 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto View Post
Same goes with being underweight.

Underweight never had mold growing in secret places.
post #26 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto View Post
Same goes with being underweight.

Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.
post #27 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
From a legal perspective, in America especially, where people's rights are guaranteed under law, you are correct. Morally and rationally it makes no sense whatsoever. There's no reason to be fat.
Morally? Give me a break, please. Honestly, judging other people based on their appearance is far more worse "morally" than someone who enjoys a few extra twinkies now and again.

Not everyone shares your beliefs. If someone is fat and happy, more power to 'em.

Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.
You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight.

How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?
post #28 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delimit View Post
Morally? Give me a break, please. Honestly, judging other people based on their appearance is far more worse "morally" than someone who enjoys a few extra twinkies now and again. Not everyone shares your beliefs. If someone is fat and happy, more power to 'em. Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others. You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight. How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?
They take up sidewalks, fill up elevators, and can make riding in coach absolute hell. I don't see how anyone could be happy carrying around far more bulk than they need, though I don't rule out that they're happy with it. But the question was, why would you buy nice clothes if you're fat. Well, I'm of the opinion that a fat person should be actively trying to lose weight and to become healthier. I certainly don't think everyone has to look like a fitness model, but there's the other extreme as well which we now see quite a bit. I mean, it's one thing to have a little bit of a beer belly and the start of some man boobs, but when we're talking about a massive portion of the population being obese, that's a different matter altogether. And I don't think that a fat person is just enjoying a few twinkies now and again. They're either disgustingly lazy, or they're probably gorging themselves. In any case, they are taking in more calories than what they expend. A lot of people are probably 20 even 30 lbs overweight which is not great but it isn't terrible... but when people are like 50lbs+ overweight... that's making a conscious decision to be a glutton. It's an indefensible position barring some injury or medical condition that incapacitates you for a protracted period of time.
post #29 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delimit View Post
Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others. You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight.

How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?

He's not projecting motivations onto fat people. He's saying what being fat implies socially. If anything he's projecting his perceptions of fat people on everyone else. But he's probably right. When's the last time you heard someone say "that guy's so underweight and lazy"?
post #30 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.

I am underweight, and get teased relentlessly. In public, work and around family. Sure socially fat is least desirable, but being really skinny isn't too cool either.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?