or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Inverallan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inverallan

post #1 of 993
Thread Starter 
Has anybody ordered from them before?
Thoughts/Experience?

http://www.inverallanhandknitters.co.uk/

Thanks.
post #2 of 993
Solid wool knits. Check out Inventory Magazine. They've posted about them and are selling a collab hat and a cardi.
post #3 of 993
yeah i have the red hat from inventory x inverallen. great quality stuff man!

pricey but worth it!
post #4 of 993
^FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I wanted that hat and waited for it to go up on the site. Little did I know it sold out with pre-orders.
post #5 of 993
Yes, I am definitely interested in a used Inverallan cap.
post #6 of 993
The products are great. Definitely top quality. The sweaters take about 90 hours each and are all hand knitted and signed by the person who made them. They are quite heavy. I didn't really realize, but the company is alive due to Japan - Beams have been huge supporters among other specialty shops. The prices over there are about 30-40% higher than ours though. We'll have enough hats for everyone next fall!
post #7 of 993
I want the red knit cap as well. I think I'm going to try an order one directly off the website.
post #8 of 993
I had been thinking about contacting Inverallan about doing a sweater for my thing, but I can barely decode their terrible website pics, lol. I think they could make a decent go at what I am looking for but I may go with something Nordic and not Aran.
post #9 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry'on View Post
The products are great. Definitely top quality. The sweaters take about 90 hours each and are all hand knitted and signed by the person who made them. They are quite heavy. I didn't really realize, but the company is alive due to Japan - Beams have been huge supporters among other specialty shops. The prices over there are about 30-40% higher than ours though. We'll have enough hats for everyone next fall!
The 90 hours part has me confused. Based on the pricing of a basic sweater at £110 GBP / $177 USD (http://www.inverallanhandknitters.co.uk/order.htm#top), how can they be profitable if each sweater takes 90 hours to knit? However without a doubt, the stuff does look great and will most likely find a spot in your closet for awhile.
post #10 of 993
Yeah, the 90 hours thing seems kind of BS. My best friend is a "fiber artist," and I know from ten years of watching her that knitting simply isn't that time consuming. Weaving maybe, but knitting?
post #11 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissou View Post
^FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I wanted that hat and waited for it to go up on the site. Little did I know it sold out with pre-orders.

yeah i was on preorder for it
post #12 of 993
The 90 hours bit may not make sense from an hourly wage perspective, but if the knitters are getting paid on a piece by piece basis (say, $50 - $100 per completed piece), not hourly, by people for whom knitting is like second nature (the kind of people who can probably knit and read a book at the same time and who would be knitting whether they get pair or not), I don't really see a problem with the 90 hour bit.
post #13 of 993
the sweaters don't take 90 hours to knit...
post #14 of 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by somatoform View Post
The 90 hours bit may not make sense from an hourly wage perspective, but if the knitters are getting paid on a piece by piece basis (say, $50 - $100 per completed piece), not hourly, by people for whom knitting is like second nature (the kind of people who can probably knit and read a book at the same time and who would be knitting whether they get pair or not), I don't really see a problem with the 90 hour bit.

It's less about the knitters getting a fair wage and more about the fact that nothing takes 90 hours to knit. Even if they're using really fine gauge yarn and needles (which they're not), I can't fathom these things taking more than 20-30 hrs max. But looking at them, and knowing several experienced knitters, I'd say they're more in the 10-15 hour range. Or maybe 9. Maybe the zero is a typo.
post #15 of 993
I could knit one of those sweaters in 90 hours and I don't know how to knit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Inverallan