or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › v neck care
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

v neck care

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I've never really put too much thought into caring for t-shirts. I've always felt they look better worn, but I just bought some v necks for the summer but would like preserve their crispness and for as long as possible and minimize shrinking. Any suggestions? Not washing them is definitely not an option. I had considered cold wash in the gentle cycle and not drying. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Also since we're in the subject of v-necks, anyone reccomend any good ones? I'm looking for something with a slightly lower v, slim and not too long. Anyone have any experience with either Alt or American Apparel?

Thanks alot.
post #2 of 9
The v-neck is not very low but the quality and fit of Spruce tees is very impressive.

As for care, I just wash my tees like you described.
post #3 of 9
I think, if you do a search, there may be another thread about undershirts. Not sure.

Anyway, I just bought some 2xist and I am not really happy with them. I washed them once and the neck has already mutated. They are also short in the length and tight fitting. Form fitting is ok but, if I notice it during the day, it is too tight.

I have had the best luck with (believe it or not) JCPenney's TownCraft (either the blend or 100% cotton) and Land's End. I am 5'11" / 185 lbs. and they are both a perfect size for me. The only reason I get rid of them is when they become discolored. They stay in great shape. I wouldn't worry about the shrinkage with either shirt. I washed them and dried them in warm water/high heat and had no problems with shrinkage.

If you are smaller in stature, then 2xist or Calvin Klein may be a better choice. I would recommend CK over 2xist.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13
I think, if you do a search, there may be another thread about undershirts. Not sure.

Anyway, I just bought some 2xist and I am not really happy with them. I washed them once and the neck has already mutated. They are also short in the length and tight fitting. Form fitting is ok but, if I notice it during the day, it is too tight.

I have had the best luck with (believe it or not) JCPenney's TownCraft (either the blend or 100% cotton) and Land's End. I am 5'11" / 185 lbs. and they are both a perfect size for me. The only reason I get rid of them is when they become discolored. They stay in great shape. I wouldn't worry about the shrinkage with either shirt. I washed them and dried them in warm water/high heat and had no problems with shrinkage.

If you are smaller in stature, then 2xist or Calvin Klein may be a better choice. I would recommend CK over 2xist.
I hate CK's cotton undershirts. I bought a pack or two of them and they are soon to become shoe polishing rags. They don't stretch, or at least, they don't return to shape after they stretch, and they fit way too loose (though most undershirts seem to now). Why would a size medium have a 42"+ chest? A medium person is supposed to have a 38-40" chest. You don't need 2"+ of room, at least I don't want all that filling up my shirts. Anyway, I'm done ranting. To summarize, I don't like CK's cotton undershirts.
post #5 of 9
i have to agree with the 2xist statemennt- they're nice pima cotton and all- but they don't hold their shape at all. the collar gets destroyed in the wash. i don't own any- but may get some basic shirts from loopwheeler or spruce. not sure if they are worth the premium or not. i wish loopwheeler would have a "sample" good on display (much like denim or leather stores that have a sample good that has been used for a few years) to see how soft they get and how well they hold up. i have had good experience with JC Penny Towncraft shirts also- and i got rid of mine because of discoloration also. I usually wash shirts and hang dry to minimize shrinkage and wear.
post #6 of 9
I think the deepest v-necks I've found are American Apparel. They're also quite slim fitting. The only thing is, they shrank and the seams around the shoulders twisted so now they're cutting into my armpits. Fruit of the Loom used to make really deep v-necks but I couldn't find any the last time I was in the states.
post #7 of 9
My favorite v-necks are definitely Jockey. Serfiously. Invest. They're cheap, and they're amazing.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
I've never really put too much thought into caring for t-shirts. I've always felt they look better worn, but I just bought some v necks for the summer but would like preserve their crispness and for as long as possible and minimize shrinking. Any suggestions? Not washing them is definitely not an option. I had considered cold wash in the gentle cycle and not drying. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Those tactics will help. Then dry on a drying rack and don't hang the tee shirts. Hanging can stretch knits in length and at the collar.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Those tactics will help. Then dry on a drying rack and don't hang the tee shirts. Hanging can stretch knits in length and at the collar.

do you mean lie the entire shirt flat as opposed to hanging it on one line ?

if this is not clear.. top view of a drying rack -> | | | | |

so is using two lines acceptable as well ? i would lye all my shirts flat or use as many as possible but i just don't have the space..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › v neck care