• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a plain, v-neck cashmere sweater, and began pondering the issue of color. As sweaters are soundly outside my regular wardrobe system, I don't have any strong theories about what color to get. My first thought is navy blue, but I like the idea of a light-colored cashmere, as that appears to make the most of the fiber. A light beige or even a cream seem very nice in theory, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be wearing such an expanse of a light color (I prefer a classic, not slim, fit). Also, I hate to consider it, but my skin might clash.

Green is out of the question: I intend to wear the sweater casually under my waxed cotton Barbour, which is olive green. As some of you know, I hate purple. Light blue is pretty, but won't work over my OCBDs.

A rust or a dark brown could be nice, but that's getting dark again.

Thoughts?

Oh, and the standard disclaimer applies: I've already decided and, though valued, your opinions will have no effect.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should get lambswool. It looks better, and is 80% less expensive. I'd say wine color, but I am sure you don't care.

Montrachet

Reaction score
I love cashmere sweaters of all colors. I'm wearing a sort of topaz-blue colored cashmere sweater right now. I also have them in dark-red, orange, olive-green, plain blue, purple, black and gray. Fall-Winter is my best sartorial season.

tor

Reaction score
^I find lambswool to be pretty scratchy.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You should get lambswool. It looks better, and is 80% less expensive. I'd say wine color, but I am sure you don't care.

I'm sympathetic to your position on cashmere, but in this case, I'm largely motivated to capture a specimen of what RJman predicts will soon no longer exist. If I have at least one good cashmere sweater, I'll be ready to move on.

Wine is worth thinking about. I have a burgundy Brooks Brothers cashmere sweater that I like okay, but I am very picky about that color. I like a very deep, dark burgundy--one that has more red and black in it, and less purple. However, the cashmere sweater market in the state that it is, it's nearly impossible to see the stuff in person before purchasing.

Originally Posted by AlanC
Camel or gray

Camel may be the right choice, but I have my concerns. First, it can easily clash with medium grey, and I like to wear a lot of medium grey pants. To work, I think one has to be darker or lighter than the other by a good amount. Second, in my mind, camel is a color that should be reserved for camel hair. I'd feel like an imposter.

Grey wouldn't work for me because of the grey trouser issue.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on itchy lambswool, not to mention it will shrink like crazy if not properly cleaned.

There really isn't a substitute for cashmere if you prefer the soft feel and warmth without the weight and stuffiness that a common sweater normally brings.

I didn't have any good cashmere until a couple months ago, but now I have sweaters in five colors: dark grey (not quite charcoal) v neck, navy blue v neck, hunter green v neck, black cable knit crew neck, and a tan hand knit cable crew neck.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oshinex
what brand are you thinking about anyways?

Lockie, Johnstons, a few NOS McGeorge and Murray Allan I've seen around, etc.

Originally Posted by Montrachet
I love cashmere sweaters of all colors. I'm wearing a sort of topaz-blue colored cashmere sweater right now. I also have them in dark-red, orange, olive-green, plain blue, purple, black and gray. Fall-Winter is my best sartorial season.

'Plain blue', as in 'navy'? How's that working out for you?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I didn't have any good cashmere until a couple months ago, but now I have sweaters in five colors: dark grey (not quite charcoal) v neck, navy blue v neck, hunter green v neck, black cable knit crew neck, and a tan hand knit cable crew neck.

Which maker did you use? I am strongly favoring Lockie after finding out how much Cable Car wants for their Laing sweaters. Also, they informed me that their owner believes Johnstons is superior to both Laing and Scott & Charters, which he thinks are on par with each other.

On the other hand, everyone seems to think highly of Lockie--including people I've talked to at stores over in the UK.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lockie and Laing are both good in my experience. I still think lambswool looks better.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still think lambswool looks better.

Is it the fuzz?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cashmere looks too luxurious.

Stefano Ricci luxurious?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, nothing like that. Just too soft looking. The cashmere/silk blends are Stefano Wretched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads