or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters? - Page 12

post #166 of 263
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post
All this chatter has moved me. I ordered 7 of the William Lockie v-necks from A. Hume.

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Camel
\t
Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Dark Navy

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Flannel

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Loganberry

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Bottle

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Madder

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Lapis

Jeezus. Can you ever just buy one of anything? Not that I should be talking.
post #167 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Light blue shirts look better with brown and oatmeal in my mind, but I also think that medium grey trousers clash with camel.

Exactly. And it may not be applicable to most folks here (I don't know what kind of favor chinos are in) but camel is basically unwearable with normal tan chinos (because you'll be all tan and look ridiculous) while oatmeal pairs quite nicely with a pair of chinos.

I didn't mean to be so harsh on camel. I just prefer oatmeal.
post #168 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post
All this chatter has moved me. I ordered 7 of the William Lockie v-necks from A. Hume.

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Camel
\t
Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Dark Navy

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Flannel

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Loganberry

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Bottle

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Madder

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Lapis

Count me in as wanting pics and a review.
post #169 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Jeezus. Can you ever just buy one of anything? Not that I should be talking.

You can buy ones, who knew??
post #170 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Jeezus. Can you ever just buy one of anything? Not that I should be talking.

At least he picked different colours.
post #171 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
Thanks 'foo. A 4" chest clearance seems very generous for a sweater. 2-3" seems preferable, which is why I thought it would be closer to a "medium", but I guess this would not be a traditional clearance. In any case, sadly too big for me, I think. I might go measure some of my Pringle sweaters whose fit I like and see what they come to.

I do like the look of them from the photos though, and the pricing is more sensible than some cashmere I've seen out there.

The allowance in traditional Scottish sizing is 2", so in this system a Size 42 measures 44" in the chest. But this was with sweaters made from traditional Scottish yarn, which could be washed with no or very little shrinkage. Now we're seeing companies in Scotland list actual chest sizes, and these measurements often include 3 or 4" of allowance instead of 2". I think it's because Chinese yarn shrinks more when it's washed, and companies are allowing for this shrinkage.
post #172 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere View Post
The allowance in traditional Scottish sizing is 2", so in this system a Size 42 measures 44" in the chest. But this was with sweaters made from traditional Scottish yarn, which could be washed with no or very little shrinkage. Now we're seeing companies in Scotland list actual chest sizes, and these measurements often include 3 or 4" of allowance instead of 2". I think it's because Chinese yarn shrinks more when it's washed, and companies are allowing for this shrinkage.

And that shrinkage assumes washed in cold water?
post #173 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post
And that shrinkage assumes washed in cold water?

Tepid or warm. The labels on most traditional Scottish cashmere called for a 30C wash, sometimes slightly warmer.
post #174 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere View Post
Tepid or warm. The labels on most traditional Scottish cashmere called for a 30C wash, sometimes slightly warmer.

Ah okay. I just hand washed a RLPL knit (not the one I had shedding issues with) in warm water to deliberately shrink it, so I'm hoping for 2" or so total.

An expensive experiment if I went too far
post #175 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post
Ah okay. I just hand washed a RLPL knit (not the one I had shedding issues with) in warm water to deliberately shrink it, so I'm hoping for 2" or so total.

An expensive experiment if I went too far

Put it in the dryer at high heat. You'll get it to shrink.
post #176 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Put it in the dryer at high heat. You'll get it to shrink.

I don't own a dryer
post #177 of 263
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Put it in the dryer at high heat. You'll get it to shrink.

Is it bad for the cashmere to purposely shrink it by washing it in warm/hot water?
post #178 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Is it bad for the cashmere to purposely shrink it by washing it in warm/hot water?

It isn't good...
post #179 of 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivats View Post
Now, what about the shetlands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
Is it bad for the cashmere to purposely shrink it by washing it in warm/hot water?

Yeah, wtf , you're still talking about cashmere? I thought you'd gone and picked up some nice Shaggy Dogs and called it a day...
post #180 of 263
Black, Black and black...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?