• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can you tell a suit's qaulity by just looking?

ccvle

Reaction score
I was arguing with my coworker that it is very hard to tell the quality by just looking at it. I gave up after she said she can tell something thats cheap like express and something thats high quality like kenneth cole.

Pawz

Reaction score
Kenneth Cole? Ok.

...You can usually tell by the drape, due to the canvasing (or lack thereof), the fit, etc. That's all I can think of - I don't scrutinize others to such extents.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccvle
I was arguing with my coworker that it is very hard to tell the quality by just looking at it. I gave up after she said she can tell something thats cheap like express and something thats high quality like kenneth cole.

You do right to give it up.

Kenneth Cole suit?

What a commotion!

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccvle

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, it takes time.

Express v. KC is a bad example. Both are not looked highly upon here.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
sure you can tell by just looking . but like mentioned above, the two items are not good examples. take a nice high end one and a mediocre one. you dont have to feel it just kind of shake them in their hangers and see how the fabric moves is one way you can tell. the high end one has a very fluid like movement while the mediocre one sometimes will move a bit stiffer

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, it takes time.

Express v. KC is a bad example. Both are not looked highly upon here.

This is the correct answer

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes but only inperson, it is hard sometimes to tell just seeing a picture or two on here.

buffybuffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Yes but only inperson, it is hard sometimes to tell just seeing a picture or two on here.

i think you can not tell the quality by seeing a picture...
bounce2.gif

VikingsFan82

Reaction score
Two visual indicators that come to mind:

-Pick stitching around the lapels (most cheap brands don't do this)
-Many cheap suits are made of polyester fabric, which gives them a tacky-looking sheen
-Many times, the inner label on the lining will say something like "Super 100's wool." Super 100 and above is very good

Non-Visual Indicators:

-You can tell by pinch the front and back of the jacket to tell if there's free-floating canvas between the layers. Canvassing is typically found in more expensive suits. Cheaper suits are "fused" (glued, no canvas layer)

Intelligent Design

Reaction score
There are certainly indicators in a suit which might suggest that it is of high quality.

More commonly, there are indicators that suggest it is not.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VikingsFan82
Two visual indicators that come to mind:

-Pick stitching around the lapels (most cheap brands don't do this)
-Many cheap suits are made of polyester fabric, which gives them a tacky-looking sheen
-Many times, the inner label on the lining will say something like "Super 100's wool." Super 100 and above is very good

In addition to listing three, rather than two, visual indicators, this is one of the more laughably awful and misleading posts in recent memory.

VikingsFan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
In addition to listing three, rather than two, visual indicators, this is one of the more laughably awful and misleading posts in recent memory.
Care to explain why my list is so "laughable," Old Rough and Ready? 1). Towards the lower end, many suit makers do not pick-stitch the lapels. I have suits from Theory and H&M, for instance, that don't have pick-stitching. My hickey and John Varvatos suits, on the other hand, have pick-stitching. This TREND is undeniable. 2). I can't think of the last time I saw a polyester suit from a high-end maker. Can you? Furthermore, I can always visually pick out the polyester suits from the wool suits in racks at places like Filene's. Sure, shiny "sharkskin" material is made from a animal hair, but it's quite rare these days. Therefore, "sheen" is a decent way to assess quality on first glance. 3). Super 100s-and-up wool tends to cost more. The "100s" number refers to the carding/yarn quality. Low end makers will skimp on the fabric quality to cut costs.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VikingsFan82
Care to explain why my list is so "laughable"? 1). Towards the lower end, many suit makers do not pick-stitch the lapels. I have suits from Theory and H&M, for instance, that don't have pick-stitching. My hickey and John Varvatos suits, on the other hand, have pick-stitching. This TREND is undeniable. 2). I can't think of the last time I saw a polyester suit from a high-end maker. Can you? Furthermore, I can always visually pick out the polyester suits from the wool suits in racks at places like Filene's. Sure, shiny "sharkskin" material is made from a animal hair, but it's quite rare these days. Therefore, "sheen" is a decent way to assess quality on first glance. 3). Super 100s-and-up wool tends to cost more. The "100s" number refers to the carding/yarn quality. Low end makers will skimp on the fabric quality to cut costs.
Pick stitch, check No Polyester, check Super 150's, check It's a go add to cart http://www.mensusa.com/products.aspx?id=363

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads