• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to Shop in Vienna?

Siggy

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm flying to Frankfurt this week and then going to Vienna, Austria. I'm interested in anyone's recommendations for good shops, specifically for good shoes or anything else of interest.

I used to live in Vienna years ago and know the city well. However, that was before sartorial awareness so now I'm looking forward to discovering some new things. Thanks.

andrebaron

Reaction score
Go to Knize on the Graben---it is one stop shopping and a temple of great clothing and footwear.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I just got back from Vienna, and I really enjoyed the city. I didn't do any clothes shopping, but I do recall seeing some footwear shops downtown at Stephansplatz. On a non sartorial note, I found the Kunstistorisches Museum to be absolutely wonderful.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, Vienna's menswear institution is Knize, whose work I put on par with Attolini. They also sell Brioni, I think. Their shirts are also nice but I'm not convinced they're worth the money. Also, lots of cool shoe places. Ludwig Reiter is the Austrian equivalent of the Northampton shoemakers, and Georg Materna makes beautiful shoes, too.

The only shoe store I remember on Stephansplatz proper is a Bruno Magli store. That could just be faulty memory, though.

If you're into more fashion-foward stuff (Comme and so on) then also check out emis. Their hours are ridulously short, and they take a long lunch break in the middle of the day, but everyone who works there is super-nice. Also, Vienna has weird outlets that open up every once in a while. Once just walking down Kärtnerstr. I followed a sign for an outlet and ended up loading up on sweet Fray shirts for 75-90% off. The chain Don Gil has some nice house-brand stuff, similar in look and feel (perhaps even in manufacture) to Barney's Co-op line, and the big department store on Kärtnerstr. - don't remember the name, but its top floor is a schicki-miki bar - has a "Gil-Area" with some more designer-y stuff. (I think I've bought Samsonite Blacklabel stuff there.) Also, a few boutiques in the Quartier 21 section of the Museumsquartier, such as Gegenalltag, offer local designers. Mostly graphic tees and stuff like that. There's a great record store in that complex, too.

If you haven't been in a while, Kunsthistortisches is pretty good, but the two museums in the Museumsquartier (MUMOK and Leopold) have much more flair. At least, if like me you're someone whose eyes glaze over after the five thousand three hundred eighty-sixth portrait of some old European with pasty skin and bad teeth. If art from the fin de siecle up isn't your bag then never mind. Also, there's a great lunch place in the MQ, and a performance space that often has cool modern dance performances.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Austrian Yellow Pages online, if you know what you're looking for:

http://www.herold.at/

I never shopped for men's fashion in Vienna. The only item I ever bought, in the dead of winter, was a grey cashmere coat, unusual (very 1930's), in a women's boutique behind St Stephen's cathedral.

S

sdfas5342

Hello,

I found this little hat maker in Vienna, on Mariahilferstrasse.
His hats looks very high quality, the price must he high but i really want to try to make him do a hat for me.

He is closed on Saturday.

www.szaszi.com

sloane

Reaction score
If you get a chance, check out custom shoe maker Maftei. I recently sent a few emails to them, inquiring about a pair of full brogues, but I never received a response.
plain.gif

Lucian Maftei
Postgasse 11
A-1010 Wien

Alexandru Maftei
Kuhnplatz 6
A-1040 Wien

http://www.maftei.at/

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Flusser recommends a glove shop called Christl, but next door to it is a fascinating shop selling gorgeous antique cufflinks (at very high prices, unfortunately).

Knize seemed tomblike. There was nice stuff in it but the merchandise didn't appear to live up to the setting. Good cashmere selection though.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloane
If you get a chance, check out custom shoe maker Maftei. I recently sent a few emails to them, inquiring about a pair of full brogues, but I never received a response.
plain.gif

thats a pity.
plain.gif

the.chikors experience worked well, though he came to vienna.

Cornellian

Reaction score
There are several bespoke shoemakers to check out: Balint, Scheer, Maftei, and Materna (there are others, just do a search on the boards). Scheer and Materna probably have the most eye-candy to look at. Materna is always busy when I go by, FYI. Ludwig Reiter is interesting... I wouldn't go for the shoes (they are nice, but nothing exceptional), although they seem to do a lot of interesting bespoke work (belts, wallets, computer cases).

Wilhelm Jungmann and Neffe is an interesting store as well. Tons of cloth, but more practically, ascots, ties, and bows.

KartnerStrasse is the main shopping drag in the city, which leads you to St. Stephen's Cathedral. Knize is nearby. I have yet to understand the fascination with Knize on this board. I have gone several times waiting to be swept away, but it's just never happened. Perhaps there is a hidden door I'm missing...

Venturini is a good place for shirts (I use them). They are a bespoke maker but also sell RTW shirts. www.venturini.at

If you're looking for good thai, http://www.thollthai.com The restaurant isn't much to look at, but the food is quite good.

S

sdfas5342

Originally Posted by RJman
Flusser recommends a glove shop called Christl, but next door to it is a fascinating shop selling gorgeous antique cufflinks (at very high prices, unfortunately).

Knize seemed tomblike. There was nice stuff in it but the merchandise didn't appear to live up to the setting. Good cashmere selection though.

Hello,

Do you have an address for those 2 shops ?

Cornellian

Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
If you're looking for good thai, http://www.thollthai.com The restaurant isn't much to look at, but the food is quite good.

I have to check out the restaurant soon.

There is a very good shoemaker in the Florianigasse.

Karl Weiner
Florianigasse 1
1080 Wien
001 43 1 406 69 50

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads