• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Officine Creative & NDC Made by Hand shoes - quality?

gusgusterson

Reaction score
Hello,
Could anyone comment on the quality of either Officine Creative or NDC Made by Hand shoes? I've seen examples of both in person and like one model of each, but am hesitant to buy as I don't know much about either company. I do know that NDC has a loose connection to Kickers which isn't so exciting. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

I'm not finding an Officine Creative site, but here's the The NDC site:
http://www.ndcmadebyhand.com/

xcoldricex

Reaction score
i've been waiting for a reply to this- but i guess no one knows? i've been looking at n.d.c. shoes for awhile- since they provide a cheaper alternative to poell, c diem shoes which i've always wanted. no one has experience with these?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I handled some NDC shoes in person and I really didn't like them. The leather was meh, and the distressing was *way* too much. Consider them the True Religion of footwear. John Varvatos, Martin Margiela and Jil Sander all do shoes in that same price range that are superb quality and aren't distressed to such an annoying level.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
i've been waiting for a reply to this- but i guess no one knows? i've been looking at n.d.c. shoes for awhile- since they provide a cheaper alternative to poell, c diem shoes which i've always wanted. no one has experience with these?
I have to agree with Brian's assessment. I understand that NDC shoes come closest in silhouette to Carpe Diems, but Margiela and Dries Van Noten make similar shoes with both far better construction and distressing than NDC. Barbato makes some boots not disimilar to Carpe Diem boots, at a much lower pricepoint. They are not as well constructed though, nor as distressed. John Varvatos does good distressed leather shoes too, but they are a different style - sort of a Ivy League meets East Village look. Marni also does some good distressed leather shoes and boots, but again, in a different style - much more boho and less urban/gothic.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about guidi or premiata?

I don't know anything about Guidi, but Premiata is about the same quality as Barbato. Similar pricepoint too, I think. Both Barbato and Premiata are a little flashier than Carpe Diem though.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
premiata had some stuff designed by poell a few seasons back- i should've gotten some then, but i was poor i guess. so cdiem boots are well made? i can't judge shoe quality- but i have always coveted a pair of the boots- and after trying them on a few weeks ago. i really want them- they look a lot better than the poell boots i tried on. so in your opinion is the cost "justifiable?"

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
premiata had some stuff designed by poell a few seasons back- i should've gotten some then, but i was poor i guess. so cdiem boots are well made? i can't judge shoe quality- but i have always coveted a pair of the boots- and after trying them on a few weeks ago. i really want them- they look a lot better than the poell boots i tried on. so in your opinion is the cost "justifiable?"
Well, let's face it. $300 jeans $250 hoodies and $200 belts (all of which I wear) are not really "justifiable" no matter how you decide to cut it. They are luxuries which we choose to indulge in. For me Carpe Diem boots are not something I would spend $1K+ on, because I have several K worth of boots (Costume Nationals are my favorite) that I never wear, already (I invariably wear sneakers). However, if you like them and have the money to indulge and think that you could get good use out of them, Carpe Diem boots are well constructed, and hold up for a long time - they are just very, very expensive shitkickers. Edit: an annoying typo.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
haha well you can at least say they're good quality. haha. i'm not planning on spending 1.5k on a pair of boots- i'd probably get used ones if i did. i can also maybe justify them using michigan weather as an excuse... hmmm haha. thanks for your opinion

xcoldricex

Reaction score
oh i asked if it was "justifiable" because i've been hearing all sorts of problem with poell boots- those are also ~$1400 but a lot of people end up complaining about them- the nails and whatnot. i don't think i know anyone that owns a pair of c diems so i can't say anything about how they hold up or their quality.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh i asked if it was "justifiable" because i've been hearing all sorts of problem with poell boots- those are also ~$1400 but a lot of people end up complaining about them- the nails and whatnot. i don't think i know anyone that owns a pair of c diems so i can't say anything about how they hold up or their quality.
Yes, they are well constructed. Incidentally, the guy that does the distressing on Carpe Diem boots is working with a new label now (perhaps his own, I don't remember). I don't remember the name, but if I remember, I'll post it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where? In Boston, Alan Bilzerian. In NYC, I think that Jeffrey has them, and I'm sure many others as well. In LA, I think that both Ron Herman in Fred Segal (which also carries CCP, last time I was there) and Maxfield both have them. I generally never look at shoes, though, excepting sneakers, so I am not the best resource here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics