or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Peking Duck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Peking Duck

post #1 of 86
Thread Starter 
Is there anything better this time of year? A whole crispy duck is wheeled out on a cart and carved right at your table, then you are presented with crispy duck legs, breast, and wings, not to mention the crispy skin that has been extracted from the back. You are given chinese pancakes, plum sauce, carrots and spring onions, along with several varieties of hot sauce, to assemble the most delicious chinese duck "tacos."

Then, the cart is whisked off, but your server quickly resurfaces with not one, but two dishes made from the remaining bird: firstly, a delicious hot and sour duck soup made from the little bits and bones; and secondly, a duck fried rice with the remaining back meat. It is a terrific use of the whole bird.

Seriously, I can't think of a better meal I've had recently. Peking duck. Who else loves Peking duck?
post #2 of 86
Are you in Chicago? Did you have this delicious meal at Sun Wah BBQ?
post #3 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis91 View Post
Are you in Chicago? Did you have this delicious meal at Sun Wah BBQ?

Ding. Ding. Ding. Indeed, so you know about this too? It was my first time there this weekend. Amazing.
post #4 of 86
My only full "Peking Duck" experience was in a place near Tiananmin Square in Bejing in about 1993. I was told that it was the most famous Peking Duck restaurant in Beijing, but I don't remember the name. Maybe some of our Chinese brethern on here can help me out.

Anyway it was just amazing. In addition to the parts you mentioned we had appetizers consisting of pickled duck feet and sliced duck stomach. My reaction was the same as yours. Every part of the duck but the "quack" gets served. Kinda like the American Indian and the buffalo, right?
post #5 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDave View Post
Ding. Ding. Ding. Indeed, so you know about this too? It was my first time there this weekend. Amazing.

Yes sir. That's one of my favorite places to eat in the area. So cheap and so good.
post #6 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis91 View Post
Are you in Chicago? Did you have this delicious meal at Sun Wah BBQ?

That sounds awesome. Ive never seen a "full use" meal like that before.
post #7 of 86
I object to the OP. Peking duck is delicious and wonderful ANY time of year. Why restrict it to only this time of year???

Also delicious is a duck egg omelet cooked in some of the duck fat.
post #8 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis91 View Post
Are you in Chicago? Did you have this delicious meal at Sun Wah BBQ?
This sounds very good. I'll have to find this place in Chicago.
post #9 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I object to the OP. Peking duck is delicious and wonderful ANY time of year. Why restrict it to only this time of year???

Also delicious is a duck egg omelet cooked in some of the duck fat.

Not restricted to this time of year, but it's a bit reminiscent of the Christmas Story with Christmas being next week. Also, while duck is enjoyable year-round, eating fatty duck is certainly better when it's 20 degrees vs. 100, no?
post #10 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis91 View Post
Yes sir. That's one of my favorite places to eat in the area. So cheap and so good.

I'm kinda pissed that it took me two years to find it. Ah well. At least I've found it.
post #11 of 86
some places also fry the ribs to a crisp, and mince duck meat with some other stuff and you wrap in lettuce with a little hoisin sauce.
post #12 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
My only full "Peking Duck" experience was in a place near Tiananmin Square in Bejing in about 1993. I was told that it was the most famous Peking Duck restaurant in Beijing, but I don't remember the name. Maybe some of our Chinese brethern on here can help me out.

Anyway it was just amazing. In addition to the parts you mentioned we had appetizers consisting of pickled duck feet and sliced duck stomach. My reaction was the same as yours. Every part of the duck but the "quack" gets served. Kinda like the American Indian and the buffalo, right?

Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant? Little place in a hutong south of Tiananmen/Qianmen. Fantastic.
post #13 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by samus View Post
Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant? Little place in a hutong south of Tiananmen/Qianmen. Fantastic.

Probably right. I think it was south of TS. It seems like it was upstairs, but I may not be remembering properly. We had a fantastic waitress who had a very good sense of humor about the fact that I knew no Mandarin. I learned to say "Thank you" and she got a great kick out of hearing me say it after every course.
post #14 of 86
Anyone go to Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church, VA? It was George Bush Sr.'s favorite restaurant while he was in office. They serve a pretty damn good duck.
post #15 of 86
P.S. There's a lame duck joke in there somewhere.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Peking Duck