or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Recommend one-piece speakers like the B&W Zepplin or Geneva speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommend one-piece speakers like the B&W Zepplin or Geneva speakers - Page 2

post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
Holy crap! If you're going to pay that much, you can easily do much better. Here are two examples: 1. Aerial 5Bs (or other favorite monitor), passive attenuator, decent solid state amp(used Acurus, Aragon, older Krell KSAs, Parasound, or even a favorite pro-audio amp) 2. Active monitor (like ATC), passive attenuator. There is no way Mac can produce a speaker that's even close in quality to good companies that specialize in speakers. Either path will also be significantly cheaper. --Andre
Honestly, I haven't heard it. McIntosh = mainly electronics as far as I'm concerned, so i'd generally agree that you'd be better off buying speakers from a company that focuses on them exclusively, but the OP specified a "one piece" system. The price isn't really that surprising though.This is McIntosh we're talking about.
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
I wonder what a pair of the iconic Rogers monitors would sound with an iPod.

Probably pretty damned good. I would consider the Aerial 5Bs to be the spiritual heir of the LS3/5a models, but significantly better in every dimension.

--Andre
post #18 of 51
Off topic, but have any of you audio nerds heard the Revel Ultima Salon2? I've read in a number of places that they're like the best speakers evarr! I'm planning on auditioning them even though they're out of my price range. Maybe I could stretch for the Studio2s when I get a new job if they really blow me away. I'm thinking about a major speaker upgrade sometime this year and my unemployment leaves me with lots of auditioning time. ^_^
post #19 of 51
If you can afford them, the Revel Salons are probably the best commercial speaker money can buy. Not a single penny will be wasted. --Andre
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
If you can afford them, the Revel Salons are probably the best commercial speaker money can buy. Not a single penny will be wasted.

--Andre

Have you ever compared them to their predecessor? What's your point of reference here?
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
Have you ever compared them to their predecessor? What's your point of reference here?

Not directly. Comparison is to live music, and the Linkwitz Orions, which are the best speakers money can buy, commercially or otherwise.

--Andre
post #22 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek View Post
Off topic, but have any of you audio nerds heard the Revel Ultima Salon2? I've read in a number of places that they're like the best speakers evarr! I'm planning on auditioning them even though they're out of my price range. Maybe I could stretch for the Studio2s when I get a new job if they really blow me away. I'm thinking about a major speaker upgrade sometime this year and my unemployment leaves me with lots of auditioning time. ^_^

I heard the Salon2s playing our new demo recordings on the mobile listening room semi that Mark Levinson/Harman takes to shows. They sound incredible but they don't have quite the presence of Maggies or the accuracy of YG Acoustics Anat Reference. They are among the best however, right up there with the new Wilson Audio Sasha.
post #23 of 51
Thread Starter 
lol ... way to derail. ATC monitors and McIntosh's.

I think I'm going to go with the Geneva Sound Labs. They seem to be the right mixture of unobtrusive, non-directional and decor friendly.

Also, I would love a pair of Linkwitz Orion's someday.
post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfyf View Post
I think I'm going to go with the Geneva Sound Labs. They seem to be the right mixture of unobtrusive, non-directional and decor friendly.
Which model are you going to buy? Please keep us posted on how it works out.
post #25 of 51
Thread Starter 
I was thinking about the L model since it was part of the original line up, but my office is quite small, only about 3.5m x 3.5m so the M model is probably enough. However they're out of the walnut model for M and they haven't replied any of my e-mails :/
post #26 of 51
scandyna pods? have various versions in two rooms at home, ok sound and they atleast claim a b&w heritage, plus they are fun to look at.

post #27 of 51
works very well in a minimalistic non-cluttered enviroment

post #28 of 51
^ haha
post #29 of 51
Here's another design-y speaker for the iPod, Bluetooth phones and Wi-Fi streaming:



http://www.parrotshopping.com/us/p_p....aspx?i=177943

I haven't heard it, though I would not expect it to sound very good.

--Andre
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
If you can afford them, the Revel Salons are probably the best commercial speaker money can buy. Not a single penny will be wasted.

--Andre

$22,000/pair!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Recommend one-piece speakers like the B&W Zepplin or Geneva speakers