• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Old Guys threak

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know what an IBM Selectric is?

Do you remember going to a bank when you needed money?

Do you find yourself answering "yes" to each and every "would you hit it?" theak - as Dakota did recently ?

"Yes?"

Well then let's gather here my friends. We learn from the young-uns, surely, but we have much to offer as well.

So, come to a place where your 70s cultural references need no explanation, and where thinning hair is regarded as a sign that the fine wine that is you is ready to be served.

First topic: I'm ******* pissed that we didn't have webcams when I was 20.

Discuss.

cimabue

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade my youth-experience for the gadgets and toys the kids have today, the social networking sites, instant messaging, cell phones and ubiquitous texting -- click, click, click, click, click with so little being said. Millions of Selectrics, millions of little monkeys but where's the content? Where's the Hamlet? Everything is a reprise. The little nippers probably aren't even aware how soulless they are. In the land of rugged individualism, fitting in has never been so important. Please, God, I just want to be famous!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't describe myself as "fine wine"--more like sour old vinegar.

The 70s seem but as yesterday to me. The 40s dim in memory though.

I'm so old I regard IBM Selectrics as kind of newfangled. Throughout my education, including drafting my Ph. D. dissertation, I used a manual.

I still go to the bank for money.

As to "hitting it," no, because I'm too old to do justice to any woman these days.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.... those were the days...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I gave my son some of my old Matchbox cars last year. They were made less than two decades after WWII in a financially strapped country that was still recovering from the effects of the war by making tchotkes for the American market. Stamped on the bottom?

"Made in England."

- B

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my day threak was spelled thread. BTW, what exactly are we learning from the "young-uns"? lefty

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I gave my son some of my old Matchbox cars last year. They were made less than two decades after WWII in a financially strapped country that was still recovering from the effects of the war by making tchotkes for the American market. Stamped on the bottom?

"Made in England."

- B

Remember Corgis? Those were sweet.

Depending on his age the matchbox cars are probably still an engaging toy.

One way you can tell you are being washed out to sea culturally is being excited to show your kids a movie you thoroughly enjoyed as a kid their age only to find they are bored stiff by it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
One way you can tell you are being washed out to sea culturally is being excited to show your kids a movie you thoroughly enjoyed as a kid their age only to find they are bored stiff by it.

So far, so good. He's loving some choice old shows, like Space Ghost and Dino Boy and Jonny Quest. Hates the Jetsons, so he has good taste.

- B

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Do you remember when TV didn't have reality shows, but it did have Variety Shows?

The Smothers Brothers Show

The Carol Burnett Show

The Donny and Marie Show

The Captain and Tennille Show

Why doesn't someone revive the variety show format?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
nick-jessica-variety-hour.jpg

16038__nickjessica_l.jpg

- B

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
nick-jessica-variety-hour.jpg

16038__nickjessica_l.jpg

- B

I actually did watch that.

But seriously, if NBC can give Leno an hour every night to basically just interview one celebrity, why can't another network spend one hour each week on a variety show that would be family-friendly entertainment?

And while we're at it, ABC should bring back The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights. It would be a nice counterprogramming move against NBC Sunday Night Football and give those of us with kids some options that isn't Yug-i-oh, Bakugan or whatever stupid show my kids like this week.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you know what an IBM Selectric is?
Know what one is? ... I continue to own and use one.
Do you remember going to a bank when you needed money?
Yes, and I remember thinking that ATMs were a fad. Now I have what looks like one in the console of my new car ... but sadly it doesn't dispense ... it only reminds me of the expense involved in maintaining my choice of vehicle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads