• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff waxed jackets: Roadmaster vs Redford

zeroize

Reaction score
They are the same model, but Redford is mostly padded (except pockets, belt, collar, sleeves, shoulders an minor details). I like Redford because it's different and you don't see much people wearing it. On the other hand, the padding design use to be associated with old people and I'm young, but Belstaff models wear the Redford in the official ad campaigns anyway. So, is padding "cool" for young people? Which one do you prefer?

Thank you!

900_0.jpg
971_0.jpg

900_1.jpg
971_1.jpg

900_2.jpg
971_2.jpg

PS: The Roadmaster looks too waxed in the pictures, but both are really the same model, with same finish.

false

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of either but the second one is horrible. Looks like home-made trash bag based S&M gear.

Edit: After seeing actual fit pic (rather than disembodied jackets) the first one is pretty cool. Still don't like the second though.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both particularly ugly variants of the special flower.

zeroize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
They are both particularly ugly variants of the special flower.

All classic Belstaff winter biker jackets look almost the same, with the 4 pockets in the front. Same look for at least the last 50 years. So you like them or you don't, but they are not "particularly ugly", the are like the rest.

Check the catalogue -> http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?op...k=1&Itemid=456

Steve Mcqueen wearing a Belstaff waxed jacket.
steve%20mcqueen.jpg

Will Smith, wearing same Belstaff waxed jacket in "I am Legend"
will_smith_300x400.jpg

Che Gevara wore one too in his motorbike trip along Southamerica.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in fact i believe mcqueen is wearing a barbour international- you can tell by the slant of the breast pocket. i think people are objecting to the shiny appearance of the finish as it comes across in pictures. this may just be more extreme in the pics or if not would certainly fade with age. all waxed jackets are meant to be well worn. if you buy it treat it with utter disrespect, scuff it against walls, get it rained on etc annd it will be fine. http://40on2.blogspot.com/2007/04/if...an-update.html

zeroize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
in fact i believe mcqueen is wearing a barbour international- you can tell by the slant of the breast pocket.
i think people are objecting to the shiny appearance of the finish as it comes across in pictures. this may just be more extreme in the pics or if not would certainly fade with age.
all waxed jackets are meant to be well worn. if you buy it treat it with utter disrespect, scuff it against walls, get it rained on etc annd it will be fine.

http://40on2.blogspot.com/2007/04/if...an-update.html

It's no really that shiny, and again it's the design with the padding or not what bothers me. This is the real finish they have (both jackets the same, and check Will Smith in I am Legend, same waxed jacket and nobody complaints):

Roadmaster
87fb71da366844d8786669f304516eb9.jpg

Redford
j1redford_6028.jpg

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
As u are quickly discovering, most people here on SF hate belstaff jackets in general. Of course id wager that 80% of the people who trash them have never seen one in person; hence the stupid comments from people like false. Xenox simple has a COMPLETELY diff style hence his bias against both. Whenever I wear mine I get showered w compliments from people of all varieties. There's a reason the jackets have been popular for like 80 years and remain largely unchanged. As someone mentioned in another thread "the Barbour and other wax coated jackets are the apanage of the well to do in various countries." I found this to be very true in Germany.

They used to be made in England but are now made in Italy. Amazing construction will last ur entire life, literally.

The quilted one may be more targeted at hunting. How much does it retail for? It's quite beautiful. Id say it's the more elegant of the two. I got the roadmaster cuz I ride a vespa and needed a good all weather jacket and Niemans didn't have the quilted one I believe. I'm guessing uve looked at their site and at jcrews? Both are sweet jackets.

ersatzmoe

Reaction score
I once heard a story that may or may not be true:

Joe DiMaggio once stayed home instead of going to Marilyn Monroe's house to bang her, so he could rewax his Belstaff jacket.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a coated linen barbour international in a treatment that makes it look beaten up. its a timeless classic and i get loads of compliments on it too, from women in particular.

zeroize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
As u are quickly discovering, most people here on SF hate belstaff jackets in general. Of course id wager that 80% of the people who trash them have never seen one in person; hence the stupid comments from people like false. Xenox simple has a COMPLETELY diff style hence his bias against both. Whenever I wear mine I get showered w compliments from people of all varieties. There's a reason the jackets have been popular for like 80 years and remain largely unchanged. As someone mentioned in another thread "the Barbour and other wax coated jackets are the apanage of the well to do in various countries." I found this to be very true in Germany.

They used to be made in England but are now made in Italy. Amazing construction will last ur entire life, literally.

The quilted one may be more targeted at hunting. How much does it retail for? It's quite beautiful. Id say it's the more elegant of the two. I got the roadmaster cuz I ride a vespa and needed a good all weather jacket and Niemans didn't have the quilted one I believe. I'm guessing uve looked at their site and at jcrews? Both are sweet jackets.

Both retail for the same, 500-550€, but you can get them chepaer. Since it's a kind of jacket that does not get old fashioned you can always wait for season clearance and pay about 300€.

I don't know that the problem with Belstaff is. Yes, it's owned by italians now and the use movies to successfully promote themselves, but that is. Barbour has the same biker jacket design, so don't hate the brand.

I think this is the Barbour Steve Mcqueen is wearing -> http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fus...&FeatureId=15#

And it has a quilted version too (but only in shoulders and elbows) -> http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fus...&FeatureId=15#

Barbour catalogue -> http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fus...t&FeatureId=15

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
prefer belstaff over barbour any day

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i wonder how many people commenting on this have actually handled the pieces before saying how ugly they are

zeroize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
i wonder how many people commenting on this have actually handled the pieces before saying how ugly they are

In Europe waxed jackets are quite popular, so everybody knows what they really look like. What about the smell? If the complainers had had one in their hands, they could easily add the peculiar smell to their list (some people hate it).

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeroize
Both retail for the same, 500-550€, but you can get them chepaer. Since it's a kind of jacket that does not get old fashioned you can always wait for season clearance and pay about 300€.

i got mine during a one day nieman sale. original 600, 25% off. ended up being like 450

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads