• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is dressing well false advertising if you're not wealthy?

MillionaireTeacher

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on dressing like an aristocrat, yet being a working class guy?

You are a sharp dressed guy. Anyways. You look like a mill. bucks. But what if you don't earn that much? What are your thoughts on dressing like an aristocrat, yet being a working class guy?

Any inner conflict on this at all? Is dressing well really false advertising that you're somehow wealthier than you are? Or is that is the beholders responsibility/interpretation.

Or is the simple fact that if you can out together a great outfit on the cheap (used, etc) then so be it. And, in fact, since women do this all the time, they should be inured to thinking anything but the obvious (Fine, he dresses well, he could be a banker, or he could be a deli worker, or anything in between) You are not lying. Or are you?

I am just wondering if you have had these "debates" in your head.

juniper

Reaction score
What do earnings have to do with class, anyway?

Unbreakable

Reaction score
In my opinion, no it isnt, but the fact that so many people (men/women alike) judge people on how they dress in corelation with income. Its a sad fact of life, but true down to the core. So what about wealthy people who dress like hobos?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it is a problem when people think I am capable of footing the bill or offering luxury birthday presents just because I'm wearing a $2500 suit I bought on B&S for $300. I generally try to counteract this by not drawing attention to my clothing and claiming that I only dress up for work, etc. but that tends to be belied by my weekend wardrobe and the fact that I am almost always well put-together.
ffffuuuu.gif

As far as my conscience is concerned, I'm not experiencing any guilt trips about having falsely presented myself or anything. I don't dress to show off my supposed wealth; if someone asks me, I generally rave about how I bought such and such an item at 80% discount, that I'm a cheapskate at heart, and so on.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
shouldn't care what others think. Only peoples opinions that matter should be family and your sig other. I dress the way I dress cause I like it, not to please other people.

and I agree wit holymadness - few of my friends wil be like paul prolly spent 500 dollars on his shoes... maybe if i paid retail but i was able to score them for 75% off.. just cause i dress nice, doesnt mean i pay retail..

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
shouldn't care what others think.

Actually, you should. When you are well put together and dressed appropriately for the occasion you generally get treated better by strangers, co-workers and family/friends. It isn't really about looking wealthy, but rather looking like you care about yourself and your outward appearance.

Whether or not you pay retail for things is up to you though and not really anybody elses issue.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Actually, you should. When you are well put together and dressed appropriately for the occasion you generally get treated better by strangers, co-workers and family/friends. It isn't really about looking wealthy, but rather looking like you care about yourself and your outward appearance.

Whether or not you pay retail for things is up to you though and not really anybody elses issue.

caring what you look like, sure, i agree. caring what others think, not so much for me at least. I don't dress for other people, i do it for myself.

MrNick

Reaction score
I drive a crappy car but usually dress well for my area and some friends like to make fun of me for looking "rich". I think everyone should dress how they feel, not how they think their income allows them. Btw my friends drive nice cars but wear rags, so I think they're ridiculous to say anything. I was wearing a lacoste shirt at school earlier this semester going to my car and some kid asked me if I'm looking for my Mercedes.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On top of wearing decent clothing (although not a lot that would impress most of the people who post here), I also have a job that people stereotype as a big money profession, even though I'm at the beginning where my income is not all that high. It's awkward when people look my way when a bar tab comes around as if I should be paying.

racetrack

Reaction score
fake it till you make it.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word

-1 on the first part. +1 on the second part. I don't make a lot of money, but I dress nice. I don't think "dressing well" is synonymous with being wealthy. There is always someone who will be wearing pair Ferragamos while someone else is wearing a pair of Bostonians. And to that Ferragamo wearing guy I ask "Why aren't you in a pair of John Lobb?"

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
n/a, as the stuff i've traditionally spent a lot on makes me look like a hobo.

feel free to change hobo to **** and FTFM

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
n/a, as the stuff i've traditionally spent a lot on makes me look like a ****.

Aha!

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
-1 on the first part. +1 on the second part. I don't make a lot of money, but I dress nice. I don't think "dressing well" is synonymous with being wealthy. There is always someone who will be wearing pair Ferragamos while someone else is wearing a pair of Bostonians. And to that Ferragamo wearing guy I ask "Why aren't you in a pair of John Lobb?"

Seems like I interpreted the original post differently than others which led to my first phrase. Oh well.

Dburr

Reaction score
Ever seen Tiger Woods in a suit? Sheesh! Talk about a sock on a rooster! Wealth has nothing to do with taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads