or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Taking the "itchy" out of a new wool sweater ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Taking the "itchy" out of a new wool sweater ...

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I bought my wife a nice wool sweater ... super thick for winter, the kind you can hardly find in women's sweaters ... and it's great, except ...

... it's so itchy for her. Any tips for making a wool sweater less itchy (apart from years of wear and washing, of course.)
post #2 of 22
Wearing a thick shirt (or two) under the sweater is about all that can be done. I can't wear wool, not even lambswool or merino, for the same reason. Ouch.
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere View Post
Wearing a thick shirt (or two) under the sweater is about all that can be done. I can't wear wool, not even lambswool or merino, for the same reason. Ouch.

I always wear at least an undershirt, and usually some kind of collared long sleeve button-down shirt beneath a wool sweater. I've never really had any issues with "itchiness" from the sweater.
post #4 of 22
I've heard this complaint from women before. There is no solution, they will feel it even with a shirt under. They're just sensitive.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack View Post
I've heard this complaint from women before. There is no solution, they will feel it even with a shirt under. They're just sensitive.

True, it's probably my man fur that scratches the sweater harder than it itches me
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere View Post
. I can't wear lambswool or merino, for the same reason. Ouch.
That is extreme.
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIHTies View Post
That is extreme.

Not in my family. My dad and brother have the same problem.
post #8 of 22
I love an itchy wool sweater. The OP is doomed to buying strictly cash for th wife.
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbris1 View Post
I love an itchy wool sweater. The OP is doomed to buying strictly cash for th wife.
Or synthetic which is what most of them wear and then they complain about being cold.
post #10 of 22
Your wife might succeed with a silk t-shirt under the sweater.
post #11 of 22
I have washed itchy (Wooly Pully) sweaters in Woolite and tossed them in the dryer on low for a little bit while slightly damp and had them come out much softer. Of course, there is a chance it will shrink the sweater, and I couldn't tell you how to avoid that for sure, but I've done it a couple times without shrinking the sweaters.
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by j View Post
I have washed itchy (Wooly Pully) sweaters in Woolite and tossed them in the dryer on low for a little bit while slightly damp and had them come out much softer. Of course, there is a chance it will shrink the sweater, and I couldn't tell you how to avoid that for sure, but I've done it a couple times without shrinking the sweaters.

I've done the same with a couple of inexpensive wool sweaters and they did come out a little softer. I didn't notice any shrinkage either. I have a lambswool sweater that's a size too large, maybe I'll try drying it more aggressively and see how it comes out.
post #13 of 22
Wow, how can you feel Merino is itchy?
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
Wow, how can you feel Merino is itchy?

Some people are more sensitive than others. Also, not all merino is created equal.
post #15 of 22
It is normal for wool to feel scratchy at first. If you are not allergic to it (only a few are) this problem will go away the more you wear the item.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Taking the "itchy" out of a new wool sweater ...