or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › It's College Basketball Season Boys
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

It's College Basketball Season Boys - Page 42

post #616 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIdler View Post
^^^Dude, WTF??? There's no way Alabama is that good.

Greg McElroy skewed the numbers all by himself.
post #617 of 853
Thread Starter 
w/r/t to the academic numbers--I buy them. Think about it, UA especially has dudes from every state in the SEUS and most of the country that wants to go there. Like REALLY REALLY wants to go there. Of course they will pick and choose the best.

Oh, and GSU just hired IUPUI's head coach. We goin' dancin'!
post #618 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
Pretty solid hire, but nothing fantastic. Arkansas needs a recruiter but Anderson's record recruiting big men is really poor.

He will be fine recruiting wise.
post #619 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinedaae View Post
He will be fine recruiting wise.

Based on what? Look at his Missouri team now. It consists of undersized scoring guards and hybrid point forwards that bum around the perimeter waiting to jack threes. They can't play interior defense, rebound, defend the perimeter, or generate turnovers. This is despite the fact that Anderson's style of play necessitates physical defenders with quickness that can generate easy baskets. If you aren't recruiting the players you need, that's a major question mark.
post #620 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post
Based on what? Look at his Missouri team now. It consists of undersized scoring guards and hybrid point forwards that bum around the perimeter waiting to jack threes. They can't play interior defense, rebound, defend the perimeter, or generate turnovers. This is despite the fact that Anderson's style of play necessitates physical defenders with quickness that can generate easy baskets. If you aren't recruiting the players you need, that's a major question mark.
I actually know mike anderson, I've seen him recruit first hand. He will be fine. He has 2 decades of ties to this area that he did not have at mizzou, he has ties to the memphis area that he can use as well. REcruiting is not my biggest concern. Look at the recruits we have now. BJ Young, top 20 player in the country, loves mike anderson, but wanted to be a hog. KY Madeen, top 30 player, really liked mike anderson but not enough to not go to arknasas. Abram, same thing. Archie Goodwin, a 2012 recruit and who is already the best player in the state, and probably the best player to come out the state since at least joe johnson, was being recruited by mike as a sophmore, and didn't want to go to mizzou, he can pick his school. He has already been on record stating how he loves the up tempo style and would love to play for coach anderson, and this is a 5 star, top 15-10 type recruit (shooting guard). It's easier to recruit to arkansas than it is to mizzou or the connections he has is what I am getitng it. In case you are wondering how I know hi'm i played AAU ball growing up and he was always around. He reruited and signed my first cousin as well "(Mike jones). If Mike/ Nolan wanted a player in the memphis/little rock area, they got him.
post #621 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
w/r/t to the academic numbers--I buy them. Think about it, UA especially has dudes from every state in the SEUS and most of the country that wants to go there. Like REALLY REALLY wants to go there. Of course they will pick and choose the best. Oh, and GSU just hired IUPUI's head coach. We goin' dancin'!
No fucking way the median SAT score is a 2000. That's a score for the likes of UNC, UC San Diego, UW, UTexas... That's 90th percentile in the NATION range. I seriously doubt people from "most of the country" want to go to middling public school. Flagship state schools generally attract the best students IN STATE (besides the most elite ones who go on to prestigious privates elsewhere, less than 1% anyhow).
post #622 of 853
My Sweet-16 picks (influenced by who I want to win as much as who I believe is strongest):


OSU > Kentucky

Marquette > UNC

Arizona > Duke

SDSU > UConn

BYU > Florida

Wisc > Butler

VCU > Flor St

Kansas > Rich
post #623 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotillion View Post
My Sweet-16 picks (influenced by who I want to win as much as who I believe is strongest):


OSU > Kentucky

Marquette > UNC

Arizona > Duke

SDSU > UConn

BYU > Florida

Wisc > Butler

VCU > Flor St

Kansas > Rich
I'd take your losing teams except for Kentucky and Richmond.
post #624 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIdler View Post
Well, I checked it out, and I think you confused or misread the 75th percentile for the median numbers:

Alabama:
Admitted Members' Score Range

25th - 50th - 75th Percentile
GPA:
3.30 - 3.60 - 3.80
SAT I:
1740 - 1950 - 2130

In addition, all the numbers you and Biggskip cited are the scores for "Admitted Members". I'm guessing that means it only counts scores for members of that site (which would probably be higher than the overall admitted averages, since that site seems to self-select for competitive students), and it counts everyone who's admitted, not who enters. If you have a 4.0 and apply to Alabama as your backup, but you get into and attend Stanford, you're still counted in Alabama's stat.



I should've rechecked them, nice catch.
post #625 of 853
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent View Post
No fucking way the median SAT score is a 2000. That's a score for the likes of UNC, UC San Diego, UW, UTexas... That's 90th percentile in the NATION range.

I seriously doubt people from "most of the country" want to go to middling public school. Flagship state schools generally attract the best students IN STATE (besides the most elite ones who go on to prestigious privates elsewhere, less than 1% anyhow).

Well if they are fudging the numbers I'm pretty sure that's a huge crime. So I doubt that.

You really can't understand the appeal of a gorgeous school with hot drunk sorority girls running everywhere, huge sports and fantastic weather?

I think you also don't get college football culture in the South...its a religion, going to a big school for football is a big deal. Like....a really, really, really really big deal.

Also, I was reading something like appearing in a real bowl game or NC game increases applications like 25% or something huge.
post #626 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed View Post
I'd take your losing teams except for Kentucky and Richmond.

Ya I don't pick teams based on favorites or popular teams but who I am rooting for to win mostly.
post #627 of 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
Well if they are fudging the numbers I'm pretty sure that's a huge crime. So I doubt that.

You really can't understand the appeal of a gorgeous school with hot drunk sorority girls running everywhere, huge sports and fantastic weather?

I think you also don't get college football culture in the South...its a religion, going to a big school for football is a big deal. Like....a really, really, really really big deal.

Also, I was reading something like appearing in a real bowl game or NC game increases applications like 25% or something huge.

I go to USC, believe me, I somewhat know about college football culture. USC is practically (and I guess in some cases, literally) the pro football team of LA. I also know that while it might be a big draw, it certainly will not be the biggest draw for those who score above 2000 on the SAT.

Anyway, the reason for the inflated scores on that site has been covered already by someone else. It is the scores of admitted/rejected members of people that have self reported on THAT site; in addition, those who give enough of a shit to go on those kind of websites are a self selected pool anyway and a lot of those numbers are inflated by people applying as safeties. Here is the real profile for all attending students. The middle 50 percentile of students looks more like 1650.

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.co...collegeId=1711
post #628 of 853
I'll take San Diego St., Wisconsin, Duke, and Florida.
post #629 of 853
GO SDSU! They definitely have potential to beat UConn as they are showing early on.
post #630 of 853
Good games, so far.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › It's College Basketball Season Boys