or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › This is why you snipe
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This is why you snipe - Page 2

post #16 of 41
The other day I got a bunch of questions on one of my items from somebody with an account with a user name "qwezgzds" (or some other random group of letteers) that was basically some kind of advertisement or something. WTF is going on with ebay.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
My guess is that eBay did that intentionally, attracting new customers et.c.
its a tough call though - all of us here were zero feedbackers once - someone let us buy, and we became one positive feedbackers. One of the underlying tenets of eBay is that people are basically honest, and its nice to think that, so I guess it is fair to assume people are well intentioned than assume malice by blocking out new people. Still sucks to get screwed over though.
post #18 of 41
This will never happen, but maybe eBay should require everyone to deposit $50 in an escrow account when they sign up. That would cut down on fraudulent bidders.
post #19 of 41
Doesn't eBay require a credit card to sign up for new accounts?
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussel
Is there any setting you can choose on eBay to prevent zero-feedbackers from bidding?

I was a zero-feedbacker at one point.
post #21 of 41
Everyone was. If zero feedback bidders could be banned from bidding, eBay's growth would immediately stop.
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Everyone was. If zero feedback bidders could be banned from bidding, eBay's growth would immediately stop.

Not necessarily. For example, a zero feedbacker can make a Buy it Now their first purchase. But, I'm just playing devil's advocate - I don't really think that's a good idea.
post #23 of 41
I just got burned by a zero feedbacker making a buy it now. She never paid, didn't respond for a week, and now isn't even responding to let the dispute close so I can get the listing fee back. Serves me right for not requiring immediate payment, or something.
post #24 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Not necessarily. For example, a zero feedbacker can make a Buy it Now their first purchase. But, I'm just playing devil's advocate - I don't really think that's a good idea.
how is that different?

instead of being the highest bidder they just hit buy it now and then change their minds and dont pay and then you end up with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I just got burned by a zero feedbacker making a buy it now. She never paid, didn't respond for a week, and now isn't even responding to let the dispute close so I can get the listing fee back. Serves me right for not requiring immediate payment, or something.
post #25 of 41
Is there feedback snipe software or website? If you want to leave a negative feedback, you need to do it at the last possible seconds to eliminate the chance of getting retaliative negative feedback. But everything is usually forgotten by the end of the 90 days period.
post #26 of 41
I do not understand any of this. What's a "snipe," and how can you tell someone set one?

Is this the reason I always seem to lose EBay auctions? I try and try and have only had two transactions.
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
I do not understand any of this. What's a "snipe," and how can you tell someone set one?

Is this the reason I always seem to lose EBay auctions? I try and try and have only had two transactions.

A snipe is a last-second bid meant to win an auction by giving other bidders no chance to up their offers. Many people do it, some by hand and some by using sniping software.

Lately, sniping seems to have become nearly universal. At such, I put no stock in the going price prior to the very end of the auction. I've seen bids go from less than $10 to well more than $100 in the last two minutes; on more expensive items, the bids sometimes double or more. It can be very frustrating, but sniping also prevents the type of retaliatory bidding we see in this thread.
post #28 of 41
Another example of why you snipe:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7767480183

(and to avoid paying 87% of the PLAL retail price, after shipping. And the seller lists a retail price of $700, LOL).

I was planning a maximum bid about $80-100 under where these eventually sold, about 2/3 of retail....oh, well.
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
Another example of why you snipe:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=7767480183

(and to avoid paying 87% of the PLAL retail price, after shipping. And the seller lists a retail price of $700, LOL).

I was planning a maximum bid about $80-100 under where these eventually sold, about 2/3 of retail....oh, well.

Apparently newcomers to eBay love to bid high on high-end shoes.
post #30 of 41
I try to figure out the logic of bidding. What is the point of even bidding days before an auction ends? Isn't it like showing your cards before the hand is over? It gives others time to think about your bid and place an appropriate bid in response. Wouldn't it make more sense to always wait for the final moment and strike once with a death blow to the neck?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › This is why you snipe