or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manton's book is out
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manton's book is out

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
Manton's book, "The Suit: A Machiavellian Approach to Men's Style" (by Nicholas Antongiavanni) is out. I picked up my copy at Borders and read a few pages over lunch. It looks very promising so far, and I was struck by how much Neopolitan clothing is really structured for shorter people!

--Andre
post #2 of 64
all text or are there any photos/illustrations?
post #3 of 64
They told me at my local Barnes & Noble they'd be in tomorrow (Tuesday, May 23). I reserved one of the five copies they had on order. I think I'll wear my green blazer when I go to buy just because Manton doesn't like 'em!
post #4 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel
They told me at my local Barnes & Noble they'd be in tomorrow (Tuesday, May 23). I reserved one of the five copies they had on order. I think I'll wear my green blazer when I go to buy just because Manton doesn't like 'em!

You've been holding out on us. I had no idea that you were so good at golf!
post #5 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quickly flipping through the book, it's mostly text. There are whimsical cartoon illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

--Andre
post #6 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Quickly flipping through the book, it's mostly text. There are whimsical cartoon illustrations at the beginning of each chapter.

--Andre

that's too bad. I'm sure the text is fantastic and full of great info, but a book about suits/clothes without a plethora of pics is like having the lyric sheet but not the record. sort of.
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
that's too bad. I'm sure the text is fantastic and full of great info, but a book about suits/clothes without a plethora of pics is like having the lyric sheet but not the record. sort of.

Doesn't that depend on how good the writing is? I haven't read it so don't know, but literature is full of books describing visual subjects without the aid of pictures. Good writing draws a better picture, in fact.
post #8 of 64
And many good writers see pictures as something like an affront to their work, as if the words by themselves would suffice.
post #9 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
that's too bad. I'm sure the text is fantastic and full of great info, but a book about suits/clothes without a plethora of pics is like having the lyric sheet but not the record. sort of.

I would agree with that
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorse123
And many good writers see pictures as something like an affront to their work, as if the words by themselves would suffice.

I don't think that was Manton's case though. If I remember correctly, he actually wanted to include many illustrations but his publisher did not allow that. Probably because of the additional cost?
post #11 of 64
Manton said himself he would have preferred full colour illustrations. EDIT: Ah, okay, gdl203 said it seconds before I did.
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't think that was Manton's case though. If I remember correctly, he actually wanted to include many illustrations but his publisher did not allow that. Probably because of the additional cost?

Ah yes, I remember that. It is very very expensive to include color illustrations and b&w pictures on plain stock often look muddy. Even with drawings, someone has to pay the artist....
post #13 of 64
Just received an e-mail from Amazon that my copy has shipped.

They predict I will have it on Thursday.
post #14 of 64
Woohoo, mine just shipped from Amazon. I wonder if Manton already has the illustrations that would have gone with the book, he could maybe put them up on a website somewhere
post #15 of 64
I read it all. It's very, very good, even though it gets a bit wordy here and there (but since he was imitating Machiavelli I suppose that was the point.) If Dressing the Man is your Style 101 then consider The Suit to be Style 400.

The book does a wonderful job describing the proper dandy. There are some self-styled "dandies" out there who would do very well to read this book and correct their misguided attempts at elegance.

Oh, and there's a part about black suits.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Manton's book is out