or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How costly an excercise is antiquing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How costly an excercise is antiquing? - Page 3

post #31 of 46
so if i wanted to antique in a simular style as to the lobb museum calf how would i go about doing that?
post #32 of 46
Here's the antiquing I dd on my Schuberts from a while back:

post #33 of 46
Those Schuberts look a lot better. How have they held up?
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those Schuberts look a lot better. How have they held up?

I dunno, I've only worn them like twice. They don't fit that well and they smell kind of funnyl. They were basically a very expensive learning experience.
post #35 of 46
Sorry to hear they haven't worked out. Speaking of smelling funny, I was browsing ties at TJ Maxx the other day and was almost overcome by noxious fumes.
post #36 of 46
Quote:
so if i wanted to antique in a simular style as to the lobb museum calf how would i go about doing that?

That blotched effect would be more difficult than regular antiquing. Stripping the shoes and then blotting on leather dye with a sponge might work.
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris
That blotched effect would be more difficult than regular antiquing. Stripping the shoes and then blotting on leather dye with a sponge might work.

what about blotching cream on wet lether?
post #38 of 46
The owner of the shop that distributes EGs in Madrid told me that saliva is one of it´s trade secrets. When he visited their factory, he spotted workers spitting on the shoes and rubbing. I don´t see how this additional (presumably mild) acid could be so effective.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchi22
The owner of the shop that distributes EGs in Madrid told me that saliva is one of it´s trade secrets. When he visited their factory, he spotted workers spitting on the shoes and rubbing. I don´t see how this additional (presumably mild) acid could be so effective.
Might be the enzymes in saliva. Here's an effort of my own, not exactly satisfied with it - they came out quite splotchy:
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Might be the enzymes in saliva.

Here's an effort of my own, not exactly satisfied with it - they came out quite splotchy:



Are those old C&J?
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by well-kept
Are those old C&J?
Absolutely no idea - they're appropriated from my father, probably from the sixties. They were an even chestnut colour before I started. (I thought htey would make for a good exercise in antiquing.)
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchi22
The owner of the shop that distributes EGs in Madrid told me that saliva is one of it´s trade secrets. When he visited their factory, he spotted workers spitting on the shoes and rubbing. I don´t see how this additional (presumably mild) acid could be so effective.

I've noticed taht real spit shining produces better results than using plain water. Perhaps it's the enzymes?
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Absolutely no idea - they're appropriated from my father, probably from the sixties. They were an even chestnut colour before I started. (I thought htey would make for a good exercise in antiquing.)

If any info is legible inside I might be able to help you identify them, if you'd like.
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by well-kept
If any info is legible inside I might be able to help you identify them, if you'd like.
Thanks - I checked now, but there's absolutely no legible markings on them. They seem English in type and construction, though.
post #45 of 46
This will no doubt sound like a stupid question, and I thank you in advance for humoring me, but:

If I have a pair of lighter brown shoes that are antiqued with a darker brown on the toe cap, will polishing the entire shoe with a light brown cream take away the dark brown antiquing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How costly an excercise is antiquing?