or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › TOOK YOUR GUYS advice but with my personal style
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TOOK YOUR GUYS advice but with my personal style - Page 6

post #76 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Pretty much sums up how men should approach everything in their lives. If the girlfriend, wife or potential partner ain't giving you any, you are doing something wrong.

...or she's a bitch.
post #77 of 217
Hey, come on guys, lighten up on him a little. There's no reason to be insulting. dressed2kill has done nothing to draw some of the biting insults that have been slung here. Constructive criticism is great, but being a dick isn't.
post #78 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
Hey, come on guys, lighten up on him a little. There's no reason to be insulting. dressed2kill has done nothing to draw some of the biting insults that have been slung here. Constructive criticism is great, but being a dick isn't.

Agreed. This young man is secure enough to post his picture looking for constructive criticism. I applaud his courage.

Let's be gentlemen.
post #79 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressed2kill
I get along with everyone at my school "TP" and FIDM and have many friends but my intrests are completly different than anyone I know than people my age "other than fashion." I love political philosphy, economics like social democracy,marxism, lazie faire, ect.. Funk music and afro beat and I study national police and intelligence agencies, transhumanism ect... you get the point now

Ok, everything has just become very clear to me. Nowadays, for kids to be different they have to wear suits and study "lazie faire" (some kind of economic theory that has to do with what lazy people do I presume). When I was in high school they wore flannel lumberjack shirts, I guess now they're wearing gangster suits and fedoras.

I like to study the bankruptcy code, but nobody thinks I'm eccentric
post #80 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
...or she's a bitch.

There is no or, and.
post #81 of 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203
Come on... does anyone doubt that Vaclarillo is involved in this now?

I wasn't around back then so i would love to get the Cliff Notes on Vaclarillo (Vaclav?)
post #82 of 217
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by seen
Hah, right. I'm sure your 'many friends' love discussing matters on 'funk music and afro beat', 'lazie faire' (it almost offends me that you can't get this one right) , and 'national police and intelligence agencies' with you.

My point was they don't talk about this with me, but Sorry about "laisser faire". I'm not up to date with grammer of french 18th -19th century words, although I should of known since I used the word.
post #83 of 217
There is a middle road -- even in college. You can wear trousers (even suit trousers) and a dress shirt, san tie, and look very sharp, but not terribly or inappropriately over-dressed.

In college and graduate school I sometimes dressed "beyond the occasion" when I went out. My wry response (unless it would be deemed insulting to the questioner) when someone asked me "why?": "Just because the rest of the world has forgotten how to dress does not mean that I have."

That said -- personal style is just that -- personal. And it sounds like you have strong opinions on your own presentation of self. Therefore, the aforementioned middle ground (dressy for class but not coat and tie dressy) may not satisfy.

If you're here for suggestions about when it's appropriate to wear what: suggestions have been posted here, make of them what you will.

If you're here for suggestions about what looks best on you and how to refine your dressy style (unrelated to when and where you choose to so dress): simply take the suggestions related to this, and cheerfully ignore the others.
post #84 of 217
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girardian
There is a middle road -- even in college. You can wear trousers (even suit trousers) and a dress shirt, san tie, and look very sharp, but not terribly or inappropriately over-dressed.

In college and graduate school I sometimes dressed "beyond the occasion" when I went out. My wry response (unless it would be deemed insulting to the questioner) when someone asked me "why?": "Just because the rest of the world has forgotten how to dress does not mean that I have."

That said -- personal style is just that -- personal. And it sounds like you have strong opinions on your own presentation of self. Therefore, the aforementioned middle ground (dressy for class but not coat and tie dressy) may not satisfy.

If you're here for suggestions about when it's appropriate to wear what: suggestions have been posted here, make of them what you will.

If you're here for suggestions about what looks best on you and how to refine your dressy style (unrelated to when and where you choose to so dress): simply take the suggestions related to this, and cheerfully ignore the others.


Thats probably the best advice I've heard in a long time. Comments like that make me proud to of joined Style forum. Since you say that I will try to wear
slacks and a shirt without a tie or jacket more often" keep in open mind", and the lower crown on the fedora.
post #85 of 217
Perhaps a suit in less formal fabrics would bode well. Such as corduroy, or something; however, corduroy suits are difficult to find and even the fabric itself is difficult to source out if used for suiting purposes.
post #86 of 217
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Perhaps a suit in less formal fabrics would bode well. Such as corduroy, or something; however, corduroy suits are difficult to find and even the fabric itself is difficult to source out if used for suiting purposes.

I actually was given some Zanella (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) corduroy pants that are charcoal with a silver stripe. Very elegant I might add.
post #87 of 217
Thread Starter 
Leather ? no tie, no suit? for a bit.
post #88 of 217
It's 'laissez faire', actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laissez-faire Being your age as well I do not think there's any way I could carry off that sort of thing you're describing here. I do wear nice shirts and put on a blazer or even a suit whenever the occassion calls for it. I might even wear a sportjacket with an opne collar in a relatively casual fabric or weave but though I like DB's for tall and relatively thin people (6'2''; 180 lbs.; size 38R/L) I can't keep myself from feeling a bit 'dandied up' or gangster-like like here: http://100jahre.boese-board.de/album...e/IMG_0292.JPG or here http://100jahre.boese-board.de/album...e/IMG_0035.JPG Put on a totally unfaded pair of jeans, grosgrain belt, nice shirt or polo, sportsjacket or sweater and you'll be set. Just the advice from a fellow 19-year old. ---EDIT--- That's a pretty cool outfit there, the hat works nicely with the trousers and creates an 'Indian-Jones' feel that is pretty cool (costumey, though but that's fine for going out in the evening with friends). I'm no expert at the whole hat-fitting-issue but the hat is still in a weird position.
post #89 of 217
DressedToKill,

I would imagine you might find the various books by Flusser, esp. Dressing the Man, of interest. Flusser shares what I take to be your appreciation for the classic era of men's wear and has a number of good idea about making that style one's own and adapting it to today's more casual standards.

Fit might be a challenge on your frame, but if you find a good local tailor it will go a long way toward improving your look. I cut my teeth on vintage clothes when I was your age, having them tailored taught me fit and let me experiement with my own style without breaking the bank.

I'll second opinions that a more varied look that includes casual options is a good direction to move in. Nonetheless, I'll note that knowing how to feel comfortable in a suit is a good thing---and something you've cultivated that is worth while. A lot of young people pass through our house due to my wife's work and I've found that most of them are more than awkward in a suit and tie (invariably a black suit)...
post #90 of 217
I don't think going with sport coats with khakis / jeans, polo shirts etc is any better than how he's dressing now. Why tell someone who wants to look special to look like everyone else? I just think the fit on the pants is too much. Too many pleats for such a skinny fellow. I like the monochromatism. The hat is way off though, and way too tilted, both side and back. Fedoras should be worn at only a small tilt. The brim of that hat is really wide, and the crown is really tall. Someone with your head shape should be wearing a medium-height crown with a medium-width brim.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › TOOK YOUR GUYS advice but with my personal style