• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dad died on Wednesday

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad was a good guy. He taught me to tie a tie and how to hit a baseball.

When I would visit he would ask me if I wanted to go hit a bucket of balls at the driving range. I always said no thanks. I really regret that now.

He suffered a stroke Tuesday night and within hours it had caused him to be on a respirator with a morhpine drip. Wednesday afternoon the family decided that because he didn't want to be left on life support and because the prognosis was not good for surgery, that the respirator would be removed. He passed peacefully less than thrity minutes later. I am thankful that he was not in any pain. But I miss him.

Go out and hit that bucket of balls with your dad when he asks. Even though he's kinda joking because he knows you don't golf and you have a bum shoulder. Go do it. You'll be happy you did.

bob

tor

Reaction score
I'm sorry.

I think I will go hit a bucket of balls with my dad this winter break. He loves golf and I hate it, but I guess you never know...

On another note, your thread title really confused me, like a lot.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My condolences, that is terrible. Right before the holidays too. All the best to your family, and hope they keep their spirits up.

jdcpa

Reaction score
Let me be the first to offer my sincerest condolences. I will certainly take your advice.

Cheers Sir.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Bob. I lost my father almost five years ago, and I agree with each of your sentiments.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bob, please accept my condolences. Your poignant anecdote should be taken to heart by everyone.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh man, that is awful. Sincerest condolences. I will definitely remember your post the next time I debate whether to answer when a family member calls.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear that. You have my deepest condolences and I wish all the best to you and your family.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Losing a parent is one of life's rougher experiences. It's something we know we're going to have to face eventually in the normal course of things, but it's still hard to face when it comes.

I hope your father was pretty old. I think the knowledge that someone had a good, long life and died full of years makes the loss of a loved one easier to bear--also, that he went out quickly, without the lingering and protracted demise that so many have go through.

Always be thankful you had your father. Some of us never did.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
this really made me feel like **** because my father just called me less than 30 minutes ago and I rushed off the phone. I wasn't even busy. I'm really sorry about your father's passing, and I can assure you I will heed to your advice.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear that. Reminds us all to make time when we have it, because one never knows. I haven't talked to my dad in a few weeks but I think I will call him tonight.

Very sorry for your loss.

zillka

Reaction score
condolences dude

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bob,

Sorry about your loss.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bob,

really sorry to hear that.

one thing that the jews do really well, is how we pass our loved ones. basically, we sit around for a week and talk about them. it is very helpful. get stuff off your chest and talk about him, it will make the whole process a little less painful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads