• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique this shirt & tie (and offer alternatives?)

lektrix

Reaction score
The other thread I made has been deleted now. I decided not to go violet shirt
laugh.gif
. Anyways, I spent 2.5hrs shopping @ my local department store after work today (The Bay cause I live in Canada). I tried on 6-7 different shirts and decided that the Kenneth Cole Reaction Slim Fit/Wrinkle Free fit best in terms of feel, image, and wallet! Haven't tried Mexx, BR, or custom tailor yet but I'm sure this shirt is the best form fitting for me (I'm 6'0", ~160lbs, lanky/athletic/toned no muscle build) thus far and doesn't break the bank! I had trouble finding a tie and I wanted a SLIM/Skinny tie so the salesperson went through a couple with me and we agreed on this CK Burgundy 100% Silk Slim tie. Afar, it looks like it's solid but upon closer inspection you can see crossed lines. Very subtle. I plan to wear these two together with my black suit pending StyleForum approval
bounce2.gif
but I will also try my best to find a charcoal suit before my Christmas office party on Saturday. What do you guys think? I'm still gonna go shopping today and tomorrow after work (need to find a place with more slim/skinny selection) in hopes of finding a similar colour/pattern for cheaper...maybe even change colour schemes and go with shades of purple/violet/lavendar/grey...I don't know.. I also bought the same shirt but in plain white w/ some vertical satin lines just incase people dislike the black shirt.... Pic 1: http://img146.imageshack.us/i/81935595.jpg/ Pic 2: http://img512.imageshack.us/i/61467074.jpg/ (stupid digital macro didnt come out right)

lektrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perception.
Personally, I've seen that combination already. Wear whatever you like, don't let other's opinions change your perspective.
Yes, conservative, but what else is a noob supposed to do? I'm just looking for ideas, that's all...personally, almost everything looks good to me, the violet shirt I liked looked good to me at first sight but then I found out it was impossible to find a good, matching tie. Honestly if I could wear whatever I like, I wouldn't even wear a suit, cause I'm not a suit person
bounce2.gif
. It's not that I don't like suits, it's because I'm hardly required to wear them (1-2x a year) so naturally I don't "care" or pay attention as much....but I want to learn and I'm hoping this experience will teach me a few things that I will undoubtedly need in the future! P.S.: What I need is a site with different matches and combinations...black shirt with this tie that tie, blue shirt with this the that time, etc...that way I can browse and look for good harmonic colours, combos, trends, you know what I mean? Right now I'm just going thru A LOT of trial and error and trust me it's not fun.

Confucius

Reaction score
This site provides you with that - I've already told you to have a look in the WAYWT thread for ideas on tie-shirt combinations.

You seem stuck on doing the dark shirt, so you're always going to struggle finding a decent combination with a tie. If you go for a lighter shirt it'll be easier to find a tie to match (not to mention you'll look significantly better).

MyHeartIsMyProphet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ben Gurion
Rule number 1

Never use black shirts with ties.

+1
I own a similar shirt and the only decent combination I found so far is with a medium blue embroidered Roda tie. But even this look is only sufficient in my eyes, so I just wear this shirt tieless (and even so, non that often!)

lektrix

Reaction score
It seems like the only good light coloured shirt would be white or light blue then...i wouldn't wear a pink shirt or lavender shirt.. pink tie with design is a different story.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
white, beige, yellow, orange, light blue, solid blue, dark blue, grey, pale green, salmon...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. How old are you? I'm serious
2. What type of event are you wearing this to?
3. Optional - how often do you wear suit and tie, and same question regarding the people around you (family, friends, etc)

vezatron

Reaction score
That looks like a tacky bistro waiter or smug bar fly uniform. 180 your color palette (white shirt and green tie) and AT LEAST start from there.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a 1980's JCPenny outfit for a jazz musician, not my style at all... but do as you please. White and light blue are the only acceptable dress-shirt colors in my opinion, "experimenting" or trying to be "creative" with color combinations is for clowns.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like it either! Looks like a waiters outfit as someone said.

Rule number 3-NEVER try to buy a tie to match a shirt. Buy ties that you like and shirts that you like. After you have a good amount of each, then you will always have options!

shasta

Reaction score
Waiter comes to mind - looks like I was thinking just like a couple of the other posters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads