• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Pure Cashmere Sweater

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up until recently I did not know the value of cashmere, especially given my background living in the west and southwest. There's no need to layer.

Today, for the first time, I donned a pure handmade cashmere RLPL cableknit crewneck.

Wow.

At first I thought it wasn't going to fit right, and the shoulders were hanging off, allowing the seams to droop slightly from my shoulder

I was also a bit peeved by the length in the sleeve; I get annoyed when sleeves keep falling down around my wrists, covering half my palms.

But .... within oh .... two hours maybe .... I was in heaven. It was as if the sweater took a new life, and molded to my build ... perfectly. Can't explain it. The seams on the shoulders now sit perfect. The sleeves don't fall down either. They sit right where I want them, with ever so slight a shirt cuff showing.

Amazing how much I already enjoy this purchase!

One question: I notice tremendous "fuzzies" left on my dress shirt ... everywhere. I didn't have that problem with my other cashmere sweater, which is not a cable knit, and, of course, is no RLPL. Is this common? Will it go away, or am I going to have to suck it up and grind the lint brush every week?

Pure handmade cashmere. Worth EVERY penny. And then some.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel. This is how I felt when I first bought a Marmot down parka. You can go out in the dead of winter in just a t-shirt and the parka. I'm still amazed.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I became a cashmere addict when I realized a quality cashmere sweater and scarf were key to keeping toasty in freezing temperatures. The top tier stuff is truly worth every penny.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really love my polo blue label made in china sweater. it's a little expensive but can be had for less on the bay. cucinelli is great but out of my price range.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel you OP. Once you feel and wear qualify cashmere, you cant go back to the "cheap" stuff. My 1st nice cashmere sweater was a RLPL v neck. I actually found it at TJ Maxx on clearance for $59. Now i have a few RLPL cashmere sweaters, as well as MALO, and cucinelli.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the blue label made cable knit cashmere compare with the purple label cable knit cashmere?

Both are made in china with Italian yarn.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^not totally true.

My RLPL cashmere sweaters were made in Italy.

The Contrarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo

One question: I notice tremendous "fuzzies" left on my dress shirt ... everywhere. I didn't have that problem with my other cashmere sweater, which is not a cable knit, and, of course, is no RLPL. Is this common? Will it go away, or am I going to have to suck it up and grind the lint brush every week?

Thats NOT supposed to happen with a quality cashmere item. maybe some wovens (scarves) you might get here and there an errant tuft but on a woven? Never seen it with quality cashmere (which is not qualified by simply being soft).

Enjoy the sweater though.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
How do the blue label made cable knit cashmere compare with the purple label cable knit cashmere?

Both are made in china with Italian yarn.

Funny you mention that....

I walked into an RL Retail Store today to pick up some spare buttons for a sportcoat I needed.

I happened to be wearing the very crewneck cable knit I mentioned in my first post here. So .. I look up on the shelves behind the SA and see a ton of folded up cashmere cable knits.

And I say "hey, those look just like the one I have!"

And immediately the SA said, "Nope. Not those up there. Those are Blue Label. The one you're wearing .... that's Black Label or Purple Label .... errr.... no. That is definitely Purple Label, right?"

I sat there sort of stunned for a second or two.... "Huh? You know I'm wearing Purple Label just like that?"

"Yep. Even if you were just walking down the street I'd be able to tell. The pattern and neck is unmistakable. Plush, thick cables that are a signature of the Purple Label sweaters."

I just looked at her amazed for a few more seconds ... said thanks ... and went on my way.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Contrarian
Thats NOT supposed to happen with a quality cashmere item. maybe some wovens (scarves) you might get here and there an errant tuft but on a woven? Never seen it with quality cashmere (which is not qualified by simply being soft).

Enjoy the sweater though.

Interesting. My wife has a few RLBL cashmere cable knits as well... she says the same thing happens to her undershirts too...

Maybe it's because these aren't current season? Shelf-life issues perhaps?

The Contrarian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Funny you mention that....

I walked into an RL Retail Store today to pick up some spare buttons for a sportcoat I needed.

I happened to be wearing the very crewneck cable knit I mentioned in my first post here. So .. I look up on the shelves behind the SA and see a ton of folded up cashmere cable knits.

And I say "hey, those look just like the one I have!"

And immediately the SA said, "Nope. Not those up there. Those are Blue Label. The one you're wearing .... that's Black Label or Purple Label .... errr.... no. That is definitely Purple Label, right?"

I sat there sort of stunned for a second or two.... "Huh? You know I'm wearing Purple Label just like that?"

"Yep. Even if you were just walking down the street I'd be able to tell. The pattern and neck is unmistakable. Plush, thick cables that are a signature of the Purple Label sweaters."

I just looked at her amazed for a few more seconds ... said thanks ... and went on my way.

Ummm...She works in a Ralph Lauren store. Do you expect that little from Sales associates that they shouldnt be able to recognize the SIGNATURE features in thier own product? Is this really that amazing a feat?

Sigh.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be more impressed if the SA was blindfolded and could differentiate the sweaters by touch

Originally Posted by The Contrarian
Ummm...She works in a Ralph Lauren store. Do you expect that little from Sales associates that they shouldnt be able to recognize the SIGNATURE features in thier own product? Is this really that amazing a feat?

Sigh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads